Do the renovators have a builder 'on their team'?

Hi everyone, I am just getting started on my path and my plan is to buy properties to renovate and then sell on most of them and keep some as I go along. Anyway, what I keep coming up against is that when i am assessing properties I feel as if I need a builder to go along and tell me if I can do what I think I can.

So my question is, for the renovators out there - how do you do it? hvae you been doing it so long you 'just know' or have you found a builder who you use to ask these questions and then use them for the work..?

And if the latter is the case, how did you find your builder?

Thanks a lot

Hi Shona

For me it's been just learning by doing (and I'm really only one property ahead of you). You only need a builder for structural stuff and I try to keep reno efforts to cosmetic stuff as much as I can. So I've sofar had a builder fix up stairs, build a fence etc. and I will need one to build decks but that's it. I'm not planning on selling though so a lot of the reno is to raise rents as well.

I found my first builder out of the phonebook (he was actually a builder / turned handyman) and he was good but I thought expensive in the end. My next builder (who I'm talking to at the moment) was a recommendation from my rental agent.

The amazing thing I found is that a skip, lots of ellbow grease and a major clean already change a property dramatically. New paint, floor covering, a bit of tile paint and decorative tiling, new curtains etc. just have a major effect. Landscaping and tidying up outside is also a good one where you don't need a builder. Once you start doing structural work it can get very quickly very expensive and for older properties there are often unpleasant surprises that add $$$ to your bill - often invisible stuff until you start to pull things apart.

Maybe start with a mainly cosmetic reno (a really ugly duckling) with maybe a little structural work required and "testdrive" a builder doing stairs etc. and see how this goes.

Good luck

kaf

Hi Shona

We were lucky to find a builder/building inspector through friends. When we have the building inspection done (as part of the conditions of a contract to purchase), I tell him what I would like to do with the particular house (pull down walls, extend, change rooms around, etc) and he tells us whether it is possible/feasible. He's a real gem!

Make sure you have a suitably-worded 'subject to building inspection' clause (not the stock standard one) - and if you cannot do what you want with the property, you can rescind the contract.

Good luck!

Cheers
LynnH

We have two builders 'on our team' one who is very fastidious and higher priced, the other who is a good all rounder, bit cheaper etc. They are both people we use regularly, for opinions and for work of varying sizes.
In terms of renovating, we know much through having done it ourselves over a period of years in various degrees of job size. Both were through word of mouth and seeing work that they had previously done.
They are an important part of your team if this is the direction you are heading.

Back