Do we need a rain water tank for a granny flat

Hi all!

Wondering if we need a rain water tank for a granny flat.

We need one for our home. One builder has said we do...where as the other builder (more reliable!) has only provided for one in the tender.

thanks

Our local council provides a grant for installing a water tank on existing premises. They require a tank for a new house.

Are both going to be built as one development? If that is the case I believe passing BASIX is what matters.
How about an underground raniwater tank to capture both roofs? It would be a bit more expensive but at least you have more land and also cover more roof area.

Our local council provides a grant for installing a water tank on existing premises.
I don't think you can get rebate if you are adding it due to regulations.
Having said that, what will happen if you install a rainwater tank before demolishing a house? Can you get the rebate and then use it again for the new house?

We finished one last December.

It was all based on having a rainwater tank but then at the end it did not need one.

We got a credit back for it - so something changed.

Is one rain water tank sufficient though?

We are getting two tenders - one of the builders was saying it costs 7K per tank ; upon googling it is like ~1K for the t ank itself. Is the installation THAT expensive?

Is one rain water tank sufficient though?
We are getting two tenders - one of the builders was saying it costs 7K per tank ; upon googling it is like ~1K for the tank itself. Is the installation THAT expensive?

If your GF is in NSW then you must comply with the BASIX requirement.
I think it changed recently about the mandatory rain water catchment so check with your compliance/building inspector regarding this.
$7k is a rip off unless it required some rock excavation to fit it......!

If you do need one, shop around because there are widely different sizes, shapes and prices.
Easy to install in most cases if you have some small unused space around the GF.

Mine cost $670 for a 2000L tank installed (very easy instal)

Good luck

If you are building a granny flat at a site with an existing dwelling then there are options (depending on other site specific criteria) that you can skirt BASIX requirements legitimately and not have a rainwater tank.

However this is skirting the rules and very much a grey area. My strong suggestion is avoid any potential\risk, akward questions by certifiers etc and have a rainwater tank included in any tender.

Rainwater tanks are now a fact of life for builders and clients and any loop hole today allowing for you to not have a RWT will be closed very shortly.

Ofcourse if you happen to be building in an area with grey water means dont need a RWT.

In short, be one with the tank, enjoy the tank, learn to love thy tank :D

You just need to meet BASIX requirements.

The big ticket items are rain water tank or solar panels.

I don't pay electricity and as far as I'm aware, solar panels require maintenance (I don't know much about it) so I went for a tank.

I installed a 4000L tank. I paid more than $1k for it, more like $2k + internal pump. But it cost me <$1 to install it (plumber needed to certify pumping system).

Back