Do you buy lottery tickets?

Do you play lotto

• Every week or almost every week

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • Never

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • I buy used lottery tickets, chances of winning are 1/1,000,000 less than current week tickets but th

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Who likes play Lotto?

BTW I have spoken to infinite intelligence last night and next weeks numbers are 1,2,3,5,7,11 or maybe I just fell asleep watching the movie "Contact".

Hi AL,

There should be a rarely category, as we only ever have a ticket in the superdraws(and forget to get them half of the time).

bye

Super draws apear to me the only time the odd's are in your favor, value of the ticket has a expected value higher the the cost of the ticket, because lotto company has rolled in funds saved from other lotto events to form a prize pool larger than the total ticket sales for the super draw.

My Dad actually just won $10,000 (2nd prize in the 100k lottery) for the second time - he won 10k some years back too.
He is currently cruising around Italy and Spain.....well he is 67.....and probably the last major trip he will make due to his health problems - so the lottery was a godsend.

I have said 'never'.

Although, in reality I buy one once a year or so as a gift for parents.

But, I never buy them for myself.

asy :D

JamesGG said:
Of course, "odds being in your favour" can include a 1 in 18million chance of winning $20million...

:), so the expected value of your $1 ticket is 20/18 = $1.11, 11% gain thats a good investment? If we compare to a regular $4M draw then the expected value of your $1 ticket is just 22cents.

I not suprised so far more than 50% say Never.

Studies show persons who feel they are control of their life and $, rarely gamble, except some for a challenge where skill is involved (cards, horses).

Whilst those who see little hope for inprovement in life circumstances, often flutter on the Lotto or Tickets as they see this is only option available to them to get out of their situation.

FYI Peter 147

I never buy tickets or do the pokies. I am too stingy. If I was to put money in and get nothing back I think it is a rip-off. I would rather have $5 in my hand for sure than gamble with it for a 'maybe' amount of money.

I think I don't have the gambling personality type, too pragmatic. Would rather save $4 per week into a christmas club account to have the money at the end of the yr than buy tickets.

My mum buys us a scratchie each occasionally and if I win $2 I always cash it in for the coin. Person behind the counter is always surprised as most people ask for anothe ticket.

Perky 29...Hooray for your dad. That is wonderful that the winnings paid for the trip. Hope he has a wonderful time.

I buy them frequently, average spend per week is about $8. I haven't been lucky enough to have won anything significant; well once, just under two hundred dollars and the ticket was purchase as a gift for me by someone else. Have a friend though who has won the draw twice in the same year, walking away with just under $200k, not bad considering she is a sporadic player.

Learner

Learner said:
Have a friend though who has won the draw twice in the same year, walking away with just under $200k, not bad considering she is a sporadic player.
Learner,

Don't make the assumption that a 'sporadic' player has less chance of having a big winner than someone who gambles regularly.

Do an analysis on the odds & work out the difference in probability yourself :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I purchase a single share in our work syndicate which plays whenver a high paying game is on. Don't expect to win however I view it as my insurance againt arriving at work and finding out everyone else became millionairs overnight.

Bear924 said:
I purchase a single share in our work syndicate which plays whenver a high paying game is on. Don't expect to win however I view it as my insurance againt arriving at work and finding out everyone else became millionairs overnight.
Exactly!

The threat of having everybody tell me that they were right about the road to wealth, and I was wrong, is enough to keep me putting in $2 every two months.

Yes it would be embarrassing for the investor to be the only one who didn't become a millionnaire :)

I regard those type of things as a cost of doing business anyway :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I was always taught it was a tax on people who couldn't do math.

All the same, you gotta be in it to win it. But buying constantly doesn't really improve your chances too much so I think that rarely category is a good idea.

Jireh

Back