Do you buy your new tenants a gift?

Do you buy your new tenants a gift?

• Yes

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 75.6%

• Total voters
i have to say no on this question,it may well work for some people
but most of our rents are low ,so i guess the tenants know full well in the first place thats its a 2 way street,i think if you look after the properties and fix any problems within 24 hours,the tenants will stay for long periods.this is always clearly defined before they enter the door..
good luck
willair..

Hi,

Just read in Brisbane's local paper today, "Courier Mail", that a landlord up Gympie way gives his tenants a carton of beer [or $45 voucher at their local] each month. Plus he pays for the cable TV and their electricity bill.

Of course he rents his 3 bed house out by the room at $125/wk. He reckons it pays better than renting to a family.

He seems to be happy and apparently, the type of tenant that is attracted to that sort of deal are happy too.

Takes all sorts of deals to make a profit these days.

Cheers,
Bernard :)

I did hear of some people buying i.e. large screen tv or a bbq that the tenant can keep and increase the rent so it looks good for the bank (rental incentive)

For those of you who do give gifts, do you deliver them yourself or go via the property manager (if not self managed)?

Cheers!

My gift was 1 weeks free rent if payments had been on time after 12 months.

However, the 2 out of 9 tenants it was aimed at are already behind.

*sigh* (as Sim' says)

It's nice to give gifts 'an all but when you have three PM'S and 7 lots of tenants on 6 mth leases (which means you could have a turnover of as many as 12 tenants in any given year!), thats a lot of bl***y GIFTS!

I'd just rather save the gift-giving to family and friends.

Silene101.

P.S. How many out there have regretted the giving of a 'gift' to a tenant?
P.P.S Onya Skater!

I started giving a welcome gift to new tenants but always felt uncomfy that it may be perceived as more of a sucking up effort to make tham look after the place. As I don't live near my properties, I had to send the gift in the mail and wrote a welcome note...but I never knew whether to say "welcome to your new home" or to "xx street" because it's not their home and they know it. I also had trouble on how to sign off on the letter . i.e the words landlord or owner under my name are crass in that sort of situation and if I just signed my name, they might ask,"who is that?" I preferred to send it rather than go through the PM because then I'm sure it got there properly and in time.

I sometimes give my PMs a gift, especially if they have worked hard in my favour (I know they should but realistically they don't all do it). I think it has enhanced the relationship.

Treat them like ur friend

Yes i believe in buying your new tenants a welcome gift,it makes them feel at home.As well to drop in around x-mas to have a beer and wish them all the best is no worries.Treat people the way u like to be treated.

IMHO gifts are inappropriate and I do not think it would influence behaviour, other than to create expectations for future gifts.

I want it to be a no-nonsense business relationship, so we try to model ethical behaviour and full compliance with the rental regulations.

When I rented (and I was a very good tenant) I would have thought it odd if the PM or owner 'smooched up' to me. Most people have reasonably well developed bull***t detectors and gifts from owners or PMs can appear to be misdirected and superficial. Some could misinterpret a gift as an unwelcome advance.

Jen said:
"welcome to your new home" or to "xx street" because it's not their home and they know it. I also had trouble on how to sign off on the letter . i.e the words landlord or owner under my name are crass in that sort of situation .

HOME
Ouch! I'm sorry but what you want to do in giving the gift is to make the house their home! Suggest a change of mindset here as the tenants that make it a home are the ones that look after gardens, neighbours, garbages etc.. if the GOOD ONES!

GIFTS
To each their own and your personal style must be consistent with your approach. If you are an introverted reserved type giving a gift will raise alarms.

I'm more a people person and therefore it works for me.

Regards Peter

I understand your point, so maybe I should have been more correct in stating "house". :)
I quite like giving a welcome gift but I'd be interested in how people word their letters, - or do you drop around personally or leave it up to your PM to give your gift. As mentioned in my last post, how do you sign your letters?

IMHO, once you have given a welcome gift, I think you should stay out of their lives unless needed . Get things fixed quickly and if they are good tenants, let them know somehow but don't be in their face. They aren't your long lost buddies and have lives of their own

With my good tenants, who stay more than 12 months I ask if there is anything they'd like done to theirhome (within reason), with suggestions such as, "I can afford to paint the lounge, or upgrade the bathroom now" so that you direct them - or even state directly what their choice of improvement may be. If it is a new house, I may just send a gift to thank them for taking care of the house. I also let my PM know that I appreciate the tenant's good care and they pass it on when they next see the tenant.

I don't buy our tenants gifts, they are getting a lovely house that is well maintained & presented.
I see the tanant/landlord thing as a business transaction, all based on supply & demand, we supply a good product & demand a fair & resonable rent in return for that product.
I usually pay for a gardener to maintain the grounds, that way I know our houses won't look like the rented house in the street.
That in itself is a gift to the tenants, neighbours & myself.
Personally I don't believe that buying your tenant a gift or offering free rent influences the tenants decision on whether or not they remain in your property, however I do believe that addressing issues promptly, maintaining your investment, thus making the tenant feel they are paying a fare rent for a well maintained & presented property.
I believe all these ingredients make a happy tenent.
We always buy our property managers flowers, the PM is the one that manages your asset & he/she is the vital link to a well managed property & a happy tenant.
All our tenants have been long term, at least 2 yrs at most 7 yrs and still there. The average is 3 yrs.

cad

Well though I didn't get a gift when I moved in, I did get a freshly rennovated unit to live in (which felt like a gift).

Also my lovely landlord (a forum member - you know who you are) sent me flowers when some tradespeople caused a big problem and another lot to thank me for my assistance and flexibility when the unit was sold.

Interestingly the Real Estate agent also gave me some book vouchers (after seeing how many books I have). It was a nice gesture.

Hmmm, I've been quite spoilt haven't I? :D

Shaggygirl

Hi there.

We're new to the PM game, but we put in a welome basket for the new tenant in our IP. We put things like tea, coffee, little jams, some UHT milk and some choccies - the type of things we would appreciate after travelling 7 hours to move into a new place. We also put in a folder of relevant local information for the new tenant. One of the PM's thought it was a really good idea.

At Christmas time, we sent a $10 scratchit in a card to the tenant. (I was however hoping they wouldn't win a large sum of money and move out!) We also sent a box of biscuits and a box of chocolates to the PM's. I received a very grateful and appreciative (and lengthy) thank you phone call from the head PM. She said that it was so lovely to receive this type of appreciation. From the call, it sounds like it doesn't happen very often. I was actually, a little embarrassed at how appreciative she was.

I don't give gifts for moving in, but have for other reasons.

eg. Valuations time - double movie passes for the inconvienience etc.

I'm about to offer one of the long term tenants a "what would you like done":
Roller shutters for front
Rear landscaping
Pergole
Rear security door
Something else?

Cheerio.

I am thinking from this tread that it is important to have a good purpose when looking after your tenants and PMs.

Tamara

First inspection we sent a double movie pass as the young couple kept the house spotless.
second inspection nothing.
third inspection we had a screen door installed for the back door which allows a cool breeze through the house as it is on a hill.
The tenants were very excited to get the door.
As thay have been ideal tenants I have taken over management of the property from my PM saving $70 per month. Once they make the first rent payment to my account I will send them $100.

I am anticipating this couple to be long term low maintaince tenants
They are happy and I am happy

Scott

I don't give gifts but I am convinced that what tenants appreciate far more than gifts is arranging for maintenance and repairs to be carried out very promptly and attending to occasional minor requests for something extra in the property that they perceive as important.

Cheers - Gordon

I haven't given tenants gifts generally (though I have given wine to the caretaker in my flock of bats- he's worth his weight in gold).

However, after experiences with the recalcitrant tenant, I have a couple more slow paying tenants- and sometimes that's meant the bank account going into the read. So I'm now trying to encourage them by giving one week's free rent at Christmas if they keep up to date (pre pay rent) until the end of the year. (For some, that was a sweetener to rent rise).

Back