Do you even?

Righto, Blacky's thread about exercise has brought a few gym people out of the woodwork, so let's have a proper chinwag about all of this.

What sort of program are you doing at the moment?
What are you short term goals?
Long term goals?
Where do you train at the moment?
Following any particular diet?

I'll go first:

1) Just a program of my own design, try to lift a minimum of 4 days a week, generally just superset push and pull exercises, try and focus on free weights and bodyweight stuff. Back's a bit iffy at the moment so lower body stuff is limited but will probably start doing things like step ups, KB swings, Sumo DL soon enough.
2) Short term goals: Train 4 days a week for 12 weeks in a row. Lose 1kg a week for 12 weeks in a row
3) Long term goals: 85-90kg BW, visible abs, 10 chinups on a bar, 10 dips on parallel bars, deadlift 180kg, handstand without support
4) I train at anytime fitness. decent facilities, great price for the convenience.
5) Diet is a dodgy area. Generally just try not eat like a ********, but that doesn't count as a "SMART" behaviour. I generally just try eat 3 meals a day, protein with each meal, try keep sugar low and not too heavy on the fats (so easy to blow the calories).

Redwing, AceInTheHole, whoever else, fess up.

I've got an exercise room - it's got a treadmill, cross trainer, weight bench and some free weights.

I aim for 5 cardio sessions a week - and around 4 weights.

I usually mix up the cardio and weights together during a 45 minute session. So 10 mins on the treadmill - jump off, do some sets, jump back on for another 10, jump off and do some sets.

I'm messing around with the HIIT stuff at the moment on the treadmill - going from jogging to spurts of sprinting. It won't be long before I end up flying off it and into the walk in robe.

I play basketball twice a week too - and I've got a court being built out the back that will get lots of use from myself and kids...and all my new neighbourhood friends :)

Exercise keeps me sane. I don't know what I'd do without it - and I ALWAYS find time for it.

I'm no exercise guru and I'm certain that I'm not optimising my workouts but as long as I'm building up a sweat almost every day of the week, it has to be a good thing.

Cheers

Jamie

I'm no exercise guru and I'm certain that I'm not optimising my workouts but as long as I'm building up a sweat almost every day of the week, it has to be a good thing.

I reckon that's just about it for 90% of the population. Keep moving, work up a sweat, be diligent with your stretching and mobility and you're golden.

Just a couple of weights sessions a week, and usually one game of squash.
Bit of running around with the kids every now and then.

Trying to slowly get back into the weights after a long lay-off.

Used to lift competitively.

Goal is now to get back to reps on 140k bench.

Might think of masters comps if I get back into any decent shape.

Long term goals?

Up till about 6 weeks ago I hadn't trained all year.
Currently doing an old program called Big Beyond Belief.
I tried this 20 years ago, but at the time I was just starting out and it was way too hard for me, too much volume.
Having another go now and it is working quite well, I gained 7kg in the first month.
It's a 6 days per week cycle, but I usually throw an extra rest day in there.
Majority of exercises I do are free weights barbell and dumbbell exercises.
Injured my triceps a week ago so have to change some exercises around to let it recover. The days I was not doing triceps directly, I was doing some sort of pressing, so they were getting hit with high frequency.

Short term goal, end of the year, is to get to 90kg.
I was down to a skinny 78kg just before starting this program.
Long term goal is to hold 90kg at true 10% body fat.

I train at home.

Trying to get 4000 calories daily, usually fall a bit short but still gaining with no significant fat gain, so not going to worry if I fall short. As long as I get enough protein, the carbs and fat make up the extra calories.

I'll post a a couple of pics of my 3 month transformation once done.

Sounds like we have a couple of lifters here, that's great :)

I'm taking a year off as am sans license til January which puts a big dent in my time, so its cheat day erryday. Prior to that I had lifted competitively.

Cant wait to get back under the barbell, i miss it. Perhaps we can compare notes in 6 months :p

Hey guys,

I was right into bodybuilding for a few years until about 12 moths ago when I competed in my first competition and took a controversial 2nd as well as around the same time I got more serious about wanting to invest etc, so training is on the back burner for a while.

Push/pull/legs. however I am finding the volume a little too much.

I did a traditional 5 day split for years and coupled with a calorie surplus I went from 58kg to a max of 80kg (I am pretty short hence the low bodyweight). I think I look my best at mid 70's though at around 10% bodyfat.

Short term goals?

Bascially maintain at this point, if I put on a little muscle that would be great but i'm not too hung up on it. Food is expensive and for me thats what it takes for me to grow. Training is the easy part.

Long term goals?

3 properties by 30 (currently have 1). Once I get there I will re-assess and see where I want to go and hopefully can continue to grow my portfolio bit put a but more time into my training etc.

Anytime fitness, I am lucky that anytime where I train at is well catered for bodybuilding as far as heavier dumbbells and a few different machines others around where I live don't have

I like carb cycling

Pretty balanced macros as this point but I do time them as far as lower carbs/higher fats through the day and then jack up the carbs pre/during/post workout and drop the fats back down.

lower carbs on non training days.

I carb cycled for my competition and got down to around mid single digit body fat so it definitely works, I have a few ebooks on it if anyone is interested.

Sounds like we have a couple of lifters here, that's great :)

I'm taking a year off as am sans license til January which puts a big dent in my time, so its cheat day erryday. Prior to that I had lifted competitively.

Cant wait to get back under the barbell, i miss it. Perhaps we can compare notes in 6 months :p

I dabbled with PL ages ago but got distracted. My best lifts were all pretty abysmal given BW. Never diligent/disciplined/consistent enough. I'm now more intrigued by bodyweight strength stuff. A bit easier on the body and easier to do as well.

Did you lift at the MASSIVE PL gym over there? Can't remember the name of it.

Hey guys,

I was right into bodybuilding for a few years until about 12 moths ago when I competed in my first competition and took a controversial 2nd as well as around the same time I got more serious about wanting to invest etc, so training is on the back burner for a while.

Push/pull/legs. however I am finding the volume a little too much.

I did a traditional 5 day split for years and coupled with a calorie surplus I went from 58kg to a max of 80kg (I am pretty short hence the low bodyweight). I think I look my best at mid 70's though at around 10% bodyfat.

Short term goals?

Bascially maintain at this point, if I put on a little muscle that would be great but i'm not too hung up on it. Food is expensive and for me thats what it takes for me to grow. Training is the easy part.

Long term goals?

3 properties by 30 (currently have 1). Once I get there I will re-assess and see where I want to go and hopefully can continue to grow my portfolio bit put a but more time into my training etc.

Anytime fitness, I am lucky that anytime where I train at is well catered for bodybuilding as far as heavier dumbbells and a few different machines others around where I live don't have

I like carb cycling

Pretty balanced macros as this point but I do time them as far as lower carbs/higher fats through the day and then jack up the carbs pre/during/post workout and drop the fats back down.

lower carbs on non training days.

I carb cycled for my competition and got down to around mid single digit body fat so it definitely works, I have a few ebooks on it if anyone is interested.

Bodybuilding is mental. Like literally, the mental fortitude of you/those guys is insane.

I really should start tracking macros/calories...

Bodybuilding is mental. Like literally, the mental fortitude of you/those guys is insane.

I really should start tracking macros/calories...

Did you ever watch that movie, "I want to look like that guy", an interesting doco on getting into bodybuilding shape for an 'average joe'

I-want-to-look-like-that-guy.jpg

Over 40 years of age with a close to 30% body fat, Stuart manages to build a noticeable amount of drug free muscle mass while cutting down to a razor sharp 6% body fat with a simple diet and even simpler exercise plan? oh and did I mention this all happened in about 6 months?

Last edited:
My wife and I swim on average a km a day. We mix it up between ocean and our local pool. Have never been one for the Gym, however can see the positives in weight training.
Our goal is to maintain healthy lifestyle, and flexibility into our senior years.
Diet consists of seafood regularly, salad, and little to no sugar. I do enjoy the odd beer however.

Confusion (Muscle and mine, as it's always changing)

There's a cardio area at work and there are regular classes so after work it maybe 15 mins core/abs, then 40-45 mins of spin, boxing, boot camp or circuit

Other days and if pushed on time I'll do a morning or evening session such as

Concept 2 row 500 meters
21 Thrusters at 40kg
Concept 2 row 500 meters
18 Thrusters at 40kg
Concept 2 row 500 meters
15 Thrusters at 40kg
...done

Or jog 1 km, then at the park 7 burpee jumps up onto a knee high wall, 7 pull-ups, 7 dips, 7 sit-ups (3 rounds) then finish off with another 1 km jog

Or whilst the washings on I may go for a 2k jog (that eats up about 10 -11 min), then a few sprint sessions (60 metre sprint, walk back to marker, 60 metre sprint, walk back to marker).

Or I may just play around with practising double-unders on the skipping rope and seeing how many I can string together, or some handstands, hand stand push ups, maybe some yoga etc

I get a better sleep if I've exercised through the day, plus its nice to have some functional fitness. I enjoy these quick sessions and the mixture of aerobic/anaerobic activity

Long term goals?

Survival

Wherever, even if on the road you can do some good bodyweight sessions i.e. see how many rounds of the below you can do in 5 minutes, then try ten minutes, then 15 as you get better.

15 air squats (deep..so hip below knee)
15 push ups
15 sit ups
....Repeat

For me it's not about how long I work out for, It's about how hard I work out for, a bit of intensity and not just going through the motions shags me

Vegetables, especially greens, fish, lean meats, eggs, nuts, little starch and avoiding sugar

Trying some intermittent fasting for curiosity's sake, apparently fasting also increases brain function ( I need all the help I can get). Fasting apparently boosts neuronal autophagy, increases levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and increases production of ketones. The theory goes that our brains would have needed to be even sharper in order to find food during these periods of fasting.

When I look at my tummy I'm sure I can afford to skip a meal or two :D

Do+you+even+lift_ade687_4116663.jpg

Did you ever watch that movie, "I want to look like that guy", an interesting doco on getting into bodybuilding shape for an 'average joe'

If that is legitimate, it makes me think that I have been putting in a **** poor effort. 6 months at over 40 years old??

If that is legitimate, it makes me think that I have been putting in a **** poor effort. 6 months at over 40 years old??

Apparently

Just look at photo's 1 and 2 though for the 6 months, from memory there was a few more months for him to get into that contest shape, he entered a drug free contest so he could be tested

You should be able to find the video (or parts thereof) using google

That January to July trans over 6 months is nothing special, just dieting down, rip up the carpet, etc.
But the 3rd Pic - Contest Day ???
Is that supposed to be shortly after the middle pic? Because he appears to have so much more size there :confused:
Lighting, tan and angles I suppose, Bodybuilding is all about illusion.

I've been pretty slack with my gym for some time now - I certainly don't have the motivation that I used to.

I'm still in decent shape, but just don't have the drive I used to have. I have been slowing getting back into it though.

Short term goals

- Start training regularly again (pretty much achieved - I'm going 4 times a week)
- Get back into a proper program and start recording bodyweight and workouts
- Write up a proper diet to try to regain some lean mass

Long term goals

- Probably somewhere around 90kgs at 10%.
- Get to ~6% at some stage - maintain if possible
- Build some respectable legs.

I haven't really sat down and thought about this though - been too preoccupied with other more important goals in my life. Gym has just been something on the side. Realistically I've just been lazy though.

Fun goals

- 10 free standing handstand pushups
- Hold a free standing one-arm handstand for 1 minute
- Various other gymnastics / body strength goals

I need to commit some time to think about this some more and really get everything on track. Time has been flying by lately and I've just been going through the motions with my training and really not pushing myself.

That January to July trans over 6 months is nothing special, just dieting down, rip up the carpet, etc.
But the 3rd Pic - Contest Day ???
Is that supposed to be shortly after the middle pic? Because he appears to have so much more size there :confused:
Lighting, tan and angles I suppose, Bodybuilding is all about illusion.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

Back