Do you ever look back at old goals?

Cleaning my desk this Easter Friday and came across some journals/notes/goals.
Back in the day I was listening to Anthony Robins and other stuff just trying to get ahead.

My financial goal from 01-01-2004 was to have a net worth of 300k by 01-01-2005.
It would have been a tough goal at the time and not sure if I made it or not.
But 10 years on, I don't know why I aimed so low...should have put down 1 million instead, because falling short would have still been good.
All the other things I wrote seem so easy now too, but, 10 years can be a very long time if you use it well.

Because of this, it does not make sense not to set high goals and aim high.
Haven't done goals in a while and should put down some crazy big numbers so in another 10 years I don't look back to realise the same mistake of aiming too low again.

Must admit I've set my goals higher recently but only after realising what I'm actually achieving now. Setting high goals from the beginning is ideal I think, but depends on your timescale and level of comfort with risk. I did set lowish goals when I started investing, but the small successes along the way have given me the financial boost I needed earlier and the confidence and to aim higher now, when I have a reasonable buffer to offset risk.

I haven't achieved my original goal yet ($100k positive cashflow by 2022), but it's seeming more and more likely that I won't need quite as long as I initially thought. I'll revise my goal once I reach it, but not before then.

Never. The past is the past and you can't do anything about it. Look to the future.

I don't have any goals these days that extend beyond six months. Even then, the six month goal is pretty loose. I tend to focus on where I am today, and focus on what I want/need to get done today.

For me, focussing only on what I can control (the present moment) and moving forward from each moment, I will get everything I want in time.

General comment on goals and time seems to be

We overestimate what we can do in the short term, BUT well underestimate what we can do in the long term

ta
rolf

Cleaning my desk this Easter Friday and came across some journals/notes/goals.
Back in the day I was listening to Anthony Robins and other stuff just trying to get ahead.

My financial goal from 01-01-2004 was to have a net worth of 300k by 01-01-2005.
It would have been a tough goal at the time and not sure if I made it or not.
But 10 years on, I don't know why I aimed so low...should have put down 1 million instead, because falling short would have still been good.
All the other things I wrote seem so easy now too, but, 10 years can be a very long time if you use it well.

Because of this, it does not make sense not to set high goals and aim high.
Haven't done goals in a while and should put down some crazy big numbers so in another 10 years I don't look back to realise the same mistake of aiming too low again.

Or maybe just go back to when you started and the person you were back then,and the person you are now,experience gained the money is only a number all it does is allows you a good maxim to have the final words without even starting a conversation..

I've actually lowered my goals and standards (may as well throw them in as well)

Low level goals are far easier to achieve. Milestones are reached and celebrated more frequently.

I've actually lowered my goals and standards (may as well throw them in as well)

Low level goals are far easier to achieve. Milestones are reached and celebrated more frequently.

I agree,when you look at what peoples average of expectations they have is sometimes different from the simple expectations of the normal averages,
I had a mate who won the oz lotto payout,went from a seven day a week taxi driver too instant millionare, he would go too the local club and put beer coasters in five 10 dollar plus machines,and just walk back and forward from machine too machine putting in more money,he lasted about 3 months now back driving a taxi which he leases and taxi as we no it are a dying industry..

Willair, the fella in your example had set his goals far too low... His was set to self destruct mode. Some People may think that I have no standards and I can understand why in some circumstances but i have a circuit breaker which cuts in when things get way too ridiculous.

Your mate had a bit of coin and a panache for the pokies. A deadly combination. He needed a circuit breaker... Paid someone up front to slap him around whenever he went over top. For example, your mate would Be playing 5 pokies at once when the " slapper" would come in and spin him off the stool and commence slapping away.... yelling Stop this reckless behaviour, we're going to GA tomorrow slap slap slap.

Back