Do you have NBN?

There are only 25,000 people in my area so it is not coming here at all, we do have ADSL2 so I am OK with that, does all I need.

Townsville was one of the first areas to get NBN, so I jumped at the chance to have it installed for free.

Seems there are heaps of issues getting the wire installed, as many of the existing conduits are blocked or the existing copper wire is too thick to get the new one through without ripping it out first and then there are no guarantees. The NBN guys took quite a while struggling to get it through, and said it was pretty common. In the event that they couldn't do it, I would have been put on a 3 month waiting list. Plus, insight into the intended roll-out plans suggested that the older areas on the other side of the river would not get a look in for at least 3 years.

In the meantime, change of Government means changed priorities and policies. Now we literally are two speed.

As it turned out, with some encouragement, the NBN technicians persevered, and got it connected. I honestly couldn't tell the difference at first in speed etc, but believe the main difference is realised in download quota and cost.

Blacktown NBN with TPG achieving almost max 100/40Mbps..

Previously with Skymesh NBN, but could only achieve 70/20Mbps..

Attachments

• nbn.jpg
    nbn.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 61
I have nbn. Have had it for well over a year now. It's excellent! Went from ADSL1 where the maximum connection I could ever get was 0.7mb to a 25mb connection on NBN. So fast! Don't know how I'm going to go moving to a place next year where I won't be able to get it.

Being rural we're stuck on toggle prepaid mobile tower stuff

Very expensive and very dodgy as to when you get a connection. Usually fails when you're in the middle of something urgent rather than just fiddling around

As I posted before, as a luddite I have only in the last year moved to an adsl service - download at 15-17Mbs uploading at 2-3Mbs. We're not complaining.

The only time that I noticed the lack of speed was when I recently migrated my data from outlook to Google and upload speed when testing (under load conditions) was around 0.5Mbs.

Is the NBN going to make any difference to me or how I work? Probably not.

I would like to have the facility to backup my computer to the cloud. It's not at all feasible with ADSL.

And as for downloading the huge iPhone updates...

Back