do you have to paint bathrooms in gloss?

painted our new plaster in the new bathroom with sealer then flat acrylic paint but now the wall opposite the shower has a shiny strip along it at top of shower height. We have a ixl fantastic in the ceiling in front of this strip and an exhaust fan over the shower but it seems to be getting damp from the shower, should we have painted it in gloss like the old days

We have flat paint on our upper walls and ceiling and have an IXL heat/light too. We've never had any issues. It should not be plaster though, but a bathroom grade wall sheeting (cannot recall name of it).

Did you paint it with acrylic or enamel paint? What sort of paint was on there previously?

Whilst acrylics are up to the job of bathrooms these days, you should keep the type of paint consistent with the previous coat, or at least apply a new undercoat if you're going to change.

Given the choice, I'd use a semi gloss acrylic designed specifically for bathrooms.

Interested in this too.

Fernfurn has put new plaster up and sealed it with Sealer Binder then flat, so the paint underneath is flat? I would rather prefer low-sheen as the satin will show up all the imperfections in the wall....

I do bathroom ceilings and walls in low sheen aquanamel. The Taubmans acrylic enamels are pretty decent these days.

Back