Do you know anyone like this

Hi All

Have to share this.

We have new neighbours who invited us over, they also invited neighbours on the other side for drinks and nibbles. Was really looking forward to a nice evening.

Seemed like a nice couple, she is a stockbroker, he has his own business, web page developer.

I thought we had a few things in common as we both foster dogs.

From the moment we walked in the door she spent the night discussing her brilliance, comments like I get paid too much, she name dropped all evening mentioning some of her prominent clients. She spoke about her job as if it were her own company, mentioned the donations they make to charity bla bla bla

Then she proceeded to discuss the money she made on the last 3 properties she sold. It did not end there.... then she started lecturing on the need for diversification and that she knows a number of investors who have 10+ properties and that there will be a crash, and that Australian property is over valued. Also she has 1 good property and loves the negatively geared strategy and how well that works.

Neither her or her partner were interested in anyone around the table. It took some effort but I said nothing whatsoever with regards to property or investing.

Fortunately I have never ever met anyone like this, could not leave quick enough, came away actually feeling sorry for her, I see her as a "wanna be" ... I thought how sad, someone is so insecure.

Sorry, bit of a rant, and boring as...:)

Neither her or her partner were interested in anyone around the table. It took some effort but I said nothing whatsoever with regards to property or investing.

Fortunately I have never ever met anyone like this, could not leave quick enough, came away actually feeling sorry for her, I see her as a "wanna be" ... I thought how sad, someone is so insecure.

I think I would have a similar feeling - mostly amused and feeling a bit sorry for her.

Although the initial urge to try and help her on property matters would be overwhelmingly hard to overcome.

I meet people like that every second week.

After a while you realise the ones who keep to themselves are usually the real tycoons.

I think I would have a similar feeling - mostly amused and feeling a bit sorry for her.

Although the initial urge to try and help her on property matters would be overwhelmingly hard to overcome.

Seriously, this is a person who is stating that there will be a property crash when we have many markets in Australia rising/booming at the moment. I am not interested in trying to educate someone, especially with this personality.

I meet people like that every second week.

After a while you realise the ones who keep to themselves are usually the real tycoons.

I think that's why I am in shock, I have never met anyone like this. This is not just boasting, IMO this is totally inappropriate behaviour.

I dont really care for her opinions, everyone has a different one and thats fine. But what a pain in the *** for someone to only be able to talk about themselves and not be interested in what other people are about. She must be full of insecurity.

Keep doing what you're doing :)

These sorts exaggerate and sometimes fabricate a lot of their their successes.

I think they delude themselves because to admit they are not the image they have created means they are a failure, and by convincing you of their success reinforces the delusions they are desperate to hold on to.

My interpretation of the behaviour anyway.

Kind of describes my neighbours who have NO visitors - her, not so much him, who is just plain weird and has recently built internal fences up to 3 metres high along the back and side parameter fencing to block out mismatched colours, untidy trees, and who knows what else :rolleyes:.

Between neighbours we've counted only 2 lots of visitors in 6 years :cool:.

I know where you are coming from.

I find it amusing when you start a conversation and ask people what they are up to etc. They start telling you but can never stop and certainly have no concept of how you can ask pertinent questions without having some in depth knowledge on the subject.

We also get the situation where people project their aspiration, which they either can't afford or have the time to achieve, onto you.

The classic comment we get is the charity work thing. Generally based on complete ignorance as to how charities actually work and that in fact volunteers end up doing the bunny work. Well - I have really worked up to the point I am at to then get some idiot charity employee telling me what to do.

The other comment we hear often is the 'Why don't you have a -------- with the money you get you can afford it'. Substitute any idiot consumable like a flashy car, yacht, holiday home, first class travel etc.

Friends of ours are high paid consultants, circa $500k pa, have a water front home, a water front holiday home, a motor boat moored at the holiday home, a truck load of jewelry and 4 flashy cars in the garage. How much of this actually gets used - very little. More so, they have very few real investments with all investments concentrated in the share market via direct shares, managed funds and super. Not my idea of a successful investor but then he doesn't want to work at anything else than his consulting.

Bottom line is that we choose to live very much within a budget taking account of our responsibilities to this world to consume less.

Each to their own.

The other comment we hear often is the 'Why don't you have a -------- with the money you get you can afford it'. Substitute any idiot consumable like a flashy car, yacht, holiday home, first class travel etc.

I get this a lot. I generally respond with "I just don't value ---------, which is why I don't have/use one".

Hi All

Have to share this.

We have new neighbours who invited us over, they also invited neighbours on the other side for drinks and nibbles. Was really looking forward to a nice evening.

Seemed like a nice couple, she is a stockbroker, he has his own business, web page developer.

I thought we had a few things in common as we both foster dogs.

From the moment we walked in the door she spent the night discussing her brilliance, comments like I get paid too much, she name dropped all evening mentioning some of her prominent clients. She spoke about her job as if it were her own company, mentioned the donations they make to charity bla bla bla

Then she proceeded to discuss the money she made on the last 3 properties she sold. It did not end there.... then she started lecturing on the need for diversification and that she knows a number of investors who have 10+ properties and that there will be a crash, and that Australian property is over valued. Also she has 1 good property and loves the negatively geared strategy and how well that works.

It's called; "Look at Me!"

The whole world suffers from this nowadays, it seems.

Except us here on SS of course. :D Modest to a fault; we are.

This is why this place is great; you can have conversations with folk and if it doesn't suit, then you don't converse.

Sounds like some of my parents' friends. Though I think for them is partly a cultural thing - showing off to establish their position among peers.

For me showing off that capability and wealth is actually quite scary - you potentially attract those who think they're entitled to receive your money, just because.

If she believed that property was going to crash why would she keep a -ive geared property? She doesn't make any sense.
Maybe she is just very insecure, I know I get verbal diarrhea when I am nervous and couple that with being shy it can make you sound like an idiot :eek:

Cut her some slack the poor thing, lol.

You should reply with "that's why we have money" :p

A lot of my family (and some friends too) have gone a bit weird around my wife and I now they've seen our new home and hear about our holidays, I don't want to make it worse than it is.

Tall poppy syndrome seems to be alive and well in my family...

I posted this elsewhere too. One of our family friends said to us we bought properties in Mount Druitt because we lived around the area and they had lived in inner west. Btw we live about 25 min drive away.

My response was asking her how many years she actually lived IN Mt Druitt. Turned out 7 years :).

I don't understand the need to over compensate it.

I get excited about what we do and I am happy to educate people and share with them my success if it helps/inspires them.

Haven't met anyone like this before. But we did have someone tell us they bought a $2,000 bedroom set - this is when we moved to Australia 13 years ago and $2k seemed like a lot of money....And now I think back and wonder....what's the need to prove?

Horses for courses

Maybe she is just very insecure, I know I get verbal diarrhea when I am nervous and couple that with being shy it can make you sound like an idiot :eek:

Cut her some slack the poor thing, lol.

Or alternatively she doesn't have the ability to read people's body language.

Charity begins at home so let us know how she gets on when you invite her over to your place. A friend of ours is extremely good with numbers, shares etc but she was behind the door when common sense was handed out. :p

My cousin came to visit a few weeks ago and we sat out the back catching up on family stuff, her hubby sat with my hubby in the kitchen telling him all the wheeling and dealing he had done over the last 5 years eg. the house they brought for 1m and sold for 3m or the house the built and couldn't sell but swapped it for a farm with a cash adjustment.

I know which conversation I would rather have sat in on!

Cheers
Sheryn

Her behaviour can all be put down to fear.

Fear of what other people think; of being judged.

So, out of fear, she undertook the preemptive step of trying to paint an immaculate picture of herself in the mind of everyone in attendance.

The result?

A portrait of an insecure person. One you don't need to be an art critic to recognise.

MTR, sounds like you handled yourself upstandingly.

my philsophy:

"if you need to show it off, then you havent truly made whatever your goal is/was"

if you have truly acheived it, then you will know it and/or other people will also know about it without you advertising it every second of your life

Back