Do you only have one realtor

I am at the point of searching for a home and contacting realtors. I have emailed all of the agencies in the area with a list of what we are looking for and I have some of them that would love it if I dealt with them only so that they get the commission just like the US system.

I am from the UK where you would go to each and every listing agent who has a house that you like and ask them to view etc.

I prefer the UK method since I am reliant on my own efforts to find something suitable rather than having pressure from an agent to "just make a desicion.."

Am I bucking the system by doing it this way?

Hi Patterson

Most buyers use the net for research - when they find something they're interested in, they then make contact.

Cheers

Jamie

I got in touch with all of them saying what we were after and told them our position ie deposit ready and all but pre approved (verbally okayed) and ready to move fast on something that we like in the hope they would get in touch before the property went to common market.

In a hot market you're not going to have much luck if you tell agents your requirements and expect them to get back to you.

Get online, create a short list of properties you're interested in and attend the scheduled inspections, or arrange inspections directly with the agents.

When you've found a property you like, make an offer.

If you want someone to do the running around for you, employ a buyers agent.

Hi Peter,

thanks for your input. We are doing all of your suggestions as well except the buyers agent. I am not expecting to be treated like royalty, simply letting people know what we are after and our position should they find something suitable, just to bear us in mind..

In a hot market you're not going to have much luck if you tell agents your requirements and expect them to get back to you.

Get online, create a short list of properties you're interested in and attend the scheduled inspections, or arrange inspections directly with the agents.

When you've found a property you like, make an offer.

If you want someone to do the running around for you, employ a buyers agent.
The Perth market is pretty flat and agents are very active in following up any potential lead. I'm on a number of databases and get texts, emails and phone calls from agents about properties. Some of these are before listing on re.com.au, which is handy I guess.

I don't know about dealing with only one agent though. I've never heard of that in Perth.

Hi Peter,

thanks for your input. We are doing all of your suggestions as well except the buyers agent. I am not expecting to be treated like royalty, simply letting people know what we are after and our position should they find something suitable, just to bear us in mind..
If they are not adding you to their database, just go to some home opens and put your email address and mobile number on the sign in sheet. You should start getting a stream of text messages and emails straight away. I know I certainly do.

If they are not adding you to their database, just go to some home opens and put your email address and mobile number on the sign in sheet. You should start getting a stream of text messages and emails straight away. I know I certainly do.

Ah didn't know that. Tha'ts not been happening yet but then we have been putting my wife's details in. she hadn't mentioned any calls but then I am fifo and chatting in depth isn't always easy.

Thanks

Ah didn't know that. Tha'ts not been happening yet but then we have been putting my wife's details in. she hadn't mentioned any calls but then I am fifo and chatting in depth isn't always easy.

Thanks
I wouldn't expect a phone call for every property that lists. Almost all my contact from agents is via text or email.

Yes sorry, thats what I meant... not sure why I typed call.
Hmm. Maybe listings are slow or the agents down there operate differently to my area. Maybe have a chat to the agents at the next home opens and ask if they have a database of purchasers they contact with listings and also ask if you your details can be added to the database. I sold a unit through Mandurah Estate Agency and my REA contacted people on his database before listing on RE.com.au.

Attend an open house and talk to an agent F2F they will take your more serious than an email coming through.

For a REA a hot buy is someone who has put an offer on a property and missed out. The agent knows for damn sure this person is ready to buy. The REA might be thinking through your email contact that you are just a tyre kicker.

Also not employing a BA and then complaining about not receiving a service of locating properties for you I find is a little funny.

As mentioned best bet, attend some open houses of properties you are interested in if an agent can see you have attended 3 properties being 3 bed 2 bath renovated properties recently, when they get a listing that is similar to what you have inspected they will call or email.

Good luck

Also not employing a BA and then complaining about not receiving a service of locating properties for you I find is a little funny.

Thanks for all your input and tips I truly do appreciate it but this is not what I am doing at all. I am visiting open houses and have made offers. You did read the other comments right?:)

Sure did, however with just sending an email to an agent or a quick phone call they will not take you serious as your effort is minimal and there can be a lot of tyre kickers.

Once they start seeing you and see a pattern they will be more engaging and be very engaged if you missed out.

I am at the point of searching for a home and contacting realtors. I have emailed all of the agencies in the area with a list of what we are looking for and I have some of them that would love it if I dealt with them only so that they get the commission just like the US system.

I am from the UK where you would go to each and every listing agent who has a house that you like and ask them to view etc.

I prefer the UK method since I am reliant on my own efforts to find something suitable rather than having pressure from an agent to "just make a desicion.."

Am I bucking the system by doing it this way?

Hi Paterson
In US the commission is 6%, as you have two agents (buying/selling) that is split, 3% each, that would be massive if we had to pay this in Australia.

If you are buying in Perth as Perthguy stated its flat, in fact its a buyers market with an abundance of properties to select so you are in the box seat and much easier to source properties.

Perfect for you but I think even better in 6 months time so no rush I guess.

There should be no pressure from agents unless you allow this. I always do my own homework using the net, however I also use re agents to source properties for me and give them a list of what I would like and to be placed on their data base this way I get the listings prior to these hitting the market. I also look at the agents that get the majority of the listings and don't necessarily just use one.

As the market is changing one important factor to consider at the moment is that you do not pay too much, make sure you ask how long a property has been on the market, compare similar properties in the area. I would also phone one of the larger valuation companies Hegneys they are pretty helpful, talk to the person who deals with the specific area he can give you an indication on a micro level and what is happening.

I see you have Mandurah as home base?? are you buying in Mandurah??

MTR:)

Last edited:
Back