Do you opt for Colorbond or Concrete Tiled Roof?

For the same cost, do you choose Colorbond or Roof tiles for your IP's? Im looking for the option that has the cheapest maintenance costs and best value.

Is one in more demand for tenants then the other?
Do colorbond IP's sell for more than tiles roofs in WA?
Does one cost more to maintain than the other?
Do colorbond roofs need to be re-screwed every X years due to the screws rusting or screw seals breaking?

I assume both have their colors that fade over time. Colorbond is apparently more noiser when raining but tiles tend to leak more when its raining in high winds.

Thanks.

I choose colourbond because:

- it's the only structure that looks good in light colours and I think all roofs in Oz should be light coloured to reflect heat. My fave colour is surfmist
- you can get colourbond downpipes, fences etc to match the colour
- you can't break into a colourbond roof like you can a tile roof
- it's better in bushfire prone areas as embers can't get in (not an obvious reason but if your neighbour goes up you want a tin roof)
- requires less timber in the roof structure to support (less trees cut down)
- I think needs less maintenance - no need for recapping/mortar repair
- fades less than concrete tiles - not sure about clay
- looks awesome

I think you maybe over analysing things here - analysis paralysis?

IMHO for an IP it does not matter which you choose.

Tenants just want a roof over their head with security for themselves/possessions, spaciousness & comfort, in their preferred location.

Capital growth will remain the same.

It really boils down to personal preference.

No right or wrong way, just different ways.

I hope this helps.

I disagree rixter. I see people building homes with dark tiled roofs in 2014 and I just cringe at the lack of though that went into it and how much hotter the place will be vs having a light colored colorbond roof.

It's good tano is thinking about this.

Thanks for your replies guys. I always thought colorbond looked cheap and flimsy and always looked for IP's with tiled roofs because in my mind it appeared stronger and better quality. From discussions with alot of builders it seems this is not the case but i was still wondering what other potential buyers and renters in Perth would think.

It seems it does not matter so i will choose colorbond.

I disagree rixter. I see people building homes with dark tiled roofs in 2014 and I just cringe at the lack of though that went into it and how much hotter the place will be vs having a light colored colorbond roof.

It's good tano is thinking about this.

From a PPOR perspective, I concur it's good for comfort , however thats not what Tano is asking.

For an IP, I believe it will not make any difference to finding a tenant or potential CG.

From PPOR perspective, it's good for comfort , however thats not what Tano is asking.

For an IP, I believe it will not make any difference to finding a tenant or potential CG.

I think in the future it will in fact make a difference as the average person gets more educated about such things. There's a reason the largest Perth private apartment developer has such a strong sustainability focus, it isn't just the energy saving, it's also the comfort levels. In the future I think people will definitely choose the smarter option of a light colorbond roof over a tiled one, especially a dark tile, why wouldn't you want a cooler home in a hot climate like Perth?

Anyone building a home with a dark tiled rood in this day and age needs their head read

Thanks for your replies guys. I always thought colorbond looked cheap and flimsy and always looked for IP's with tiled roofs because in my mind it appeared stronger and better quality. From discussions with alot of builders it seems this is not the case but i was still wondering what other potential buyers and renters in Perth would think.

It seems it does not matter so i will choose colorbond.

It's the Italian in you thinking that :p
I don't think tenants care, I don't think either have a big effect on CG unless it's a black tiled roof.
Those black roofed, mock tuscan houses with no eaves are going to suffer in the growth stakes. Partly because of the terrible design and partly because the style dates.

main.jpg

Stick with a style which is nuetral and not too OTT. Give it a touch of pizzazz with a small feature which can be repainted etc as styles change.

If building new, go colourbond.

If buying established, no need to worry the roof can be changed to either style at a later date if in time it will effect cg or rental demand.

Cheers

A few points to consider.

A colourbond roof is lighter than a tiled roof so the roof pitch can be lower and the roof framing can be more lightweight.

In general for older houses a tiled roof can be changed to colourbond, but a colourbond roof cannot be changed to tile without beefing up the framing.

Tiled roofs are quieter than colourbond when raining.

The severe hailstorm in Perth several years ago did actually damage some colourbond roofs.

Personally, if I was building new I would go for a light colourbond despite some of the above points.

I would never go tile and would never personally buy a house with a tiled roof,
Tiles are prone to crack and break when someone walks on them or a decent hailstorm hits,the only thing that you have between you and the water coming inside is the sarking and some tiled houses don't even have that.
Also the pressure that tonnes of tiles put on a house is amazing,with new homes bending under that weight.
Around 500kg per square,20 square house is 10 tonnes of tiles.

But if you do ever buy a house with tiles,make sure it has sarking. :D

Last 3 builds I went colorbond. Simply due to the fact of having to inspect roof every winter for cracked tiles on the one that has them. Current concrete tiles crack far too much from temperature changes etc even without traffic.

Who doesn't like the sound of rain on the roof?:eek:

I'm hearing it right now, only on the colorbond awning at the back door though.:(

Wishing the whole house was colorbond.

Would a darker coloured brick look better than a lighter creme brick for a light colourbond roof or it doesn't matter?

Back