Do You Own IP’s Worth $100k or under?

Don't you have to cough up like $4000 to do a real estate agents course first to even think about opening a PM business anyway? And you'd need a shopfront ... there are NO empty shops here ... not really a work-from-home kind of business.

I don't know how much you have to pay. Lil just did her Rep Course through TAFE open learning. $750 it cost. For your purposes, you could be an internet only business with a home office, so long as you provided a better service than the other Agents, people would use you.

OMG!! Where are you buying them? For free?

As you can see, I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada.
Dumb Vendors are everywhere, though.
This particular Vendor had a property that consisted of a 4 bedroom house and 4 mobiles.The asking price reflected the value of the house.
When we went to get a mortgage, the Lender would not permit the mobiles to be mentioned in the Purchase Price.This means for tax purposes, they have no value.
Had we needed to purchase them, they would be a minimum of $10K each.

On occasion, others have offered their mobiles, which need to be moved for Free.If we had land available to put them on, we would have taken them.There was even a 2 bedroom house for Free a couple of years ago, but it also needed to be moved.
We have considered buying property just for this purpose.

Be very similar to you buying houses offered for Removal in Australia.

Today our mortgage broker/REA called us and asked if we wanted to buy a 5+ bedroom house. It is actually a house we looked at last year. Would be great for student accommodation and B & B in the summer.We told him if we can buy with no money down, we may be interested. ($292K) He didn;t think there would be a problem. We shall see.

...but you expend more energy capturing them than they provide.

Compare them to whale meat when you can, you'll never touch another sardine.

Am working my way through the food chain right now...:) dodging sharks and mercury poison.

I thought your whaling was banned?:p

I don't know how much you have to pay. Lil just did her Rep Course through TAFE open learning. $750 it cost. For your purposes, you could be an internet only business with a home office, so long as you provided a better service than the other Agents, people would use you.
I think I need to look into this further next year. I literally can't do anything about that right now unfortunately - 6 months pregnant and squeezed into a too-small house with an office in the kitchen at the back isn't a good time to try and start a business with frequent people contact lol. To add insult to that, our neighbour has no driveway and 4 cars + trailer + caravan so it is impossible to park outside our current house - customers now end up parked quite a way down the road (we park on our vacant lot). Our new house has the formal living area at the front pegged as an office and a big drive.

But meantime I can do TAFE online ... or I could hire Lil :D

I wonder how many people would stop using *that* PM if one at 5% or so came onto the market ... rents around here are reasonably low and 9% is a LOT of money when you're up against fixed costs too.

But meantime I can do TAFE online ... or I could hire Lil :D

Her being in Melbourne & you in Rural SA might make things a little difficult. Also, she is more interested in sales than property management. However, if you were to pursue this further, I am sure there are plenty of Agents on the forum to use as mentors and sounding boards.

Don't you have to cough up like $4000 to do a real estate agents course first to even think about opening a PM business anyway?

My wife has a PM certificate. It is not enough to open a PM business. It is enough to work as a PM in someone else's business.

Her certificate allows her to work under the authority of someone in the office who holds a trienniel (sp??) certificate.

The trienniel cert. is the one that gives the holder the authority to operate a PM business. These are not obtained from doing a 5 day course and sitting one exam on the Friday afternoon, like you need to do to get a PM cert. The conditions are a tad more onerous.

Maybe there is different criterior in different States. I know from talking to Lil that she needs another qualification in order to be a Real Estate Licensee, but from what she tells me it is not all that hard or expensive in Vic. Or maybe she only has half the story.

It would be good (for Elfy's sake, at least) for someone from SA to give her the lowdown on what qualifications she needs.

I started a new thread in the coffee lounge. TAFE has a cert IV that seems to cover *everything* but is by no means a short course, and is standard TAFE pricing, you apply as per uni or TAFE not just show up for a week. The $4000 one I found last time I had a cursory look is probably one of the 5 day ones mentioned above for people like retired bank managers who want to jump straight into REA sales.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60946

Any mods feel this is a major hijack and want to move these posts to the new thread, go for it :)

Back