Do you take race into account when making decision on tenant?

Does race factor into your decision in selecting a tenant?

• Definately Yes

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • Definately No

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • Would be the deciding factor between two equally placed applicants

Votes: 31 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Politically correct answer, "no."

Real life answer, "yes." Although I can only think of two race exceptions I would have off hand.

Tricky poll responses :confused:

Haven't had to make a call between two identically qualified candidates yet, usually something differentiates them, on economic strength measures.

Having said that, I am leaning towards Steves answer "Of course I would never take that into account"

race, no.

cultural habits, yes.

for example, incense and certain types of cooking cause odours that are almost impossible to remove.

not everyone follows those habits though.

It *can* make the difference, but like the monkey said - its more to do with cultural habits rather than race.
Some cultures have some habits which I would prefer to keep out of my investment - eg, the incence, cooking, and lack of wearing shoes.
I am serious about the shoes too - our last tennants in our padstow place were recent immigrants from a culture that doesnt wear shoes much. This meant they often walked outside barefoot, and then trod all the dirt and mud back inside the house and ruined our new carpet.

However, it's really hard to make any assumption about your applicant's culture... say for example your applicants come down to Huang Hon Lin vs Muhammed Hazeem....
On paper, you have absolutley no idea what the cultural habits of these two people would be...
... for all you know these applicants could be 2nd generation aussies who loves meat pies and footy more than your neighbour Aussie McOcca, or they could be the complete opposite.

PLEASE NOTE - i do not mean any racial offense by this post. I am completely tolerant and accepting of pretty much all world cultures.
I am merely trying to highlight that as a landlord, all you have to go by is a name - and it is almost impossible to make an accurate assumption of cultural habits based solely on a name.

While i always try not to be racist sometimes it is hard not to feel it creeping up on me :)

There are certain races in my area that have a very bad rep. I know many REA wont even take applications from some.

Having said that there are always exceptions and we do look at income and previous rental history, but sometimes it is hard not to look at the race and worry!

I guess too many bad experiences from the same race over and over again leaves a person jaded!

I am serious about the shoes too - our last tennants in our padstow place were recent immigrants from a culture that doesnt wear shoes much. This meant they often walked outside barefoot, and then trod all the dirt and mud back inside the house and ruined our new carpet.

Surely that's the same as someone walking around outside with shoes on and coming in with those shoes (unwiped)? :confused:

Most shoes off people are shoes off inside, shoes on outside - less wear and tear on your carpet :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Surely that's the same as someone walking around outside with shoes on and coming in with those shoes (unwiped)? :confused:

Most shoes off people are shoes off inside, shoes on outside - less wear and tear on your carpet :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

You would think that most shoes off people are "shoes off inside, and shoes on outside".... but these people were just shoes off, all the time.

With shoes, at least you can wipe them at the front door - but bare feet you usually dont wipe do you??

I've never really had to decide so far, but yes.

Discrimination is a natural part of life, in it's most basic form it's what stops us going down certain dark streets. It's the difference between fight or flight. It's what makes me choose SS over GHPC. If I didn't discriminate... well technically I think that's impossible. Every time you eat whatever you choose to eat, you're discriminating against less favourable foods.

1. to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality

What I find unfortunate is how the words racism and discrimination have come to have negative meanings, basically because people seem to get so offended by everything.

In Japan, I wasn't allowed in to most nightclubs, because I'm not Japanese. Was I offended? No, it's their right to refuse entry based on whatever criteria they like. Imagine if someone tried that in Australia :rolleyes:

If it's my property, I should be allowed to only let people with blue eyes or black hair rent it if I so choose, and anyone else gets an automatic no. I find it very unfortunate that that would be considered illegal here.

-Ian

Ian, that brings up the interesting question of what = the Australian race, or what equates to Australian (if you were to try that Japanese thing in Australia) ?

We supposedly accept all people as Australian here (don't we ?), wouldn;t that make it a bit hard to do ?

"No" is the correct answer.

Do you ask your property manager what race the tenants are?

I don't.

They never tell me either.

Everything is decided on more relevant factors. Do they work? Where? For how long? Do they pay their rent on time in the past? Their ages, relationship to each other.

"No" is the correct answer.

Do you ask your property manager what race the tenants are?

I don't.

They never tell me either.

Everything is decided on more relevant factors. Do they work? Where? For how long? Do they pay their rent on time in the past? Their ages, relationship to each other.

Same. My PM has never said what race the tenants are and I never ask. As long as they have a job and good references I will consider them. I would rather a black/yellow/red/green person with a job than a white person on welfare.

I would never go straight on race but would take into consideration cultural habits. However, I'm not really likely to know these when selecting tenants.

I voted NO.

As long as they are breathing and can pay the rent; they're IN.

Incidentally, our unit in Frankston has had the same two Indian tenants for the last 3 years.

No would be the answer.....I think it is silly to be so myopic.

I have rented to a wide spectrum Chinese, Indians, Lebanese, Anglo Aussies, Croatians, Greeks, etc......

I tend to hire good property managers and let them do their jobs....after this is what I am paying them for. All I care is that the place is maintained properly and rent is paid like clockwork. This is a business after all.

But on observation...the ethnic tenants are more accomodating and always pay on time......that does not mean there are not good Anglo Australian tenants.

In a city like Sydney or Melbourne you are going to have vacancies if you do not consider tenants.

I am too busy investing to worry who goes into my units...they are insured after all. If you are worried who is going in....then you are too emotionally plugged in.

Sash

Now I have started a few polls in my time, but this could be the stupidest one I've ever read on SS...:rolleyes:.

That sounds quite balanced Sash - afterall, the cons of emotions overriding investment decisons does seem to get repeated over & over, I too think it may be true...

How would people think of investors from a minority ethnic group(s) holding the same view against the rest of the population ?

Back