Do you think Australia is a good place to start over one's career?

For an architect?

Just thinking.

One of my relative have had her education and work experience in US, hit by recession and now back in home country doing architecture projects for a rich boss (boss is always rich... hahaha). They're not exciting projects, and she's not inspired. She doesn't really like the current city (and country in general). Not much space, lots of traffic, no parks, and some other personal factors.

Having lived in Sydney for 6 years and talked to friends from UK, US and Singapore, I always think Australia is actually the better country out there, and will fit her better in terms of culture and environment.

I have suggested to consider Australia, though she's reluctant as she doesn't want to be in another recession and living from pay check to pay check.

What do you think? Do you think its a good place to start over, especially for someone in architecture? She said it's a profession that's prone when recession hits.

Architecture, like many other other creative fields, is very competitive in Australia and I'd say she'd have a tough time getting established here without some stellar work experience under her belt. Living pay check to pay check would be a dream, given the number of people applying to get that job and pay check :p

Architecture, like many other other creative fields, is very competitive in Australia and I'd say she'd have a tough time getting established here without some stellar work experience under her belt. Living pay check to pay check would be a dream, given the number of people applying to get that job and pay check :p

I would say the same with lots of jobs? I'm no expert, but while architecture is creative, much of the educations (6 years!!!) relates to design integrity (everyone can make a box design!), physical calculations and adherence to specific standards, no?

she got at least 5-8 years experience under her belt. Not sure stellar or not since I have 0 knowledge of the industry.

I did tell her that if she just want a break and willing to take junior/ casual role, e.g. in marketing or some sort to pay bills, it shouldn't be that difficult

The architecture market is cut throat. I get an email a week asking for unpaid work.

Wagh... what happened there?? There's just not much demand for architect? :(

Are there other careers that use similar skills? 3D model? Interior designers? Town planner? Drafters? - yes, I'm ignorant. Hahaha.

Wagh... what happened there?? There's just not much demand for architect? :(

Sadly no ... I die a little inside every time I pass a new subdivision - street after street crammed with identical brick spec homes - the only difference being the brick colour.

A friend is living on a new acreage subdivision that has some unusual and funky house designs - from abstract iron cubes to weatherboards with dormer windows to straw bale homes. I love it, but apparently there have been lots of complaints by the "spec" crowd.

We are such a bland and boring lot.

What's it like in NZ? They seem to be more open minded and embrace difference more than us.

Architecture is a tough gig I don't envy them one bit.

Neither do I... but I do love good looking building, not the usual box stack...

Australia would be a good place to start over, just not as an architect by the sounds of it.

Hmmm... probably ask if she want to start a differenct career, safe some capital, buy land and build her own house ;) This is one of her wants - just not possible in our home country, especially when it cost about equivalent $500K, where the builder will only build when they're paid in full upfront. Bank loan is non question when interest rate is 8-15%, max 70% LVR and 20 years period. Salary? $800 per month.

At least in oz you can ask 'support' from bank.

Sadly no ... I die a little inside every time I pass a new subdivision - street after street crammed with identical brick spec homes - the only difference being the brick colour.

A friend is living on a new acreage subdivision that has some unusual and funky house designs - from abstract iron cubes to weatherboards with dormer windows to straw bale homes. I love it, but apparently there have been lots of complaints by the "spec" crowd.

We are such a bland and boring lot.

What's it like in NZ? They seem to be more open minded and embrace difference more than us.

Being interesting with building usually means need more money >_<

NZ is it? Sounds interesting. Will need to check their immigration policy - I know she got enough points for Oz independent visa.

NZ is it? Sounds interesting. Will need to check their immigration policy - I know she got enough points for Oz independent visa.
I'd look into NZ. I've been told there's enough work to last a generation in rebuilding Christchurch i.e. engineering. I'd imagine there would be a bit of work for architects too.

Australia is a good place to start if your a tradie! there musnt be too much demand for architects at the moment. can understand why, all those new subdivisions every house looks exactly the same.

Australia is a good place to start if your a tradie! there musnt be too much demand for architects at the moment. can understand why, all those new subdivisions every house looks exactly the same.

She likes to create things, but not a tradie lol!
I think it's also that architect is viewed as expensive. Regular joe with regular budget probably won't consider one. It needs to be a bigger project liek apartment complex, city expansion, office, etc etc.

Reading NZ immigration pages..... super confusing! I'm a lot better with oz system :p

In terms of # of job listed in seek, both au and nz look pretty similar though. There are some entry level jobs, which probably have thousands of applicants :rolleyes:

AU
http://goo.gl/aB9MRW

NZ
http://goo.gl/Xa4r7D

Sadly, today the cost of building a "one off" design is astronomical.

Friends had a beach block of land, got a wonderful architect plan for a 4 bed 2 bath house. Problem was that the best quote they could get was more than $120K higher than a project builder could put up the same area of house in a much plainer design.

In the end they went for the project home as they could not justify the huge extra cost for the benefit of aesthetics.
Marg

I cant speak about the architectural industry itself, in terms of supply or demand. However, on the "starting fresh" in Australia part, this is my 2c.

For the most part, foreigners to Australia hear about the $$ which we earn, and think "great, I cant earn that sort of $$ doing what Im doing in xxx country".

However, they often fail to recognise a few pertinent issues of Australia. Firstly, for a PAYG employee, your tax at approx 30% is world class. Ok, not the highest in the world but still up there.
Add to that the fact that the majority of major city rents are around the $400/pw mark and you are talking some serious coin just to be at the 'average'.
In addition, the majority of major cities in Australia have some of the worst public transport of any '1st' world country in the world. While yes, you can mostly make it from your home to the city centre to get to work, try making it to your friends place for an evening dinner. Let alone home again...safely. So - mostly you need a car.
Then, you are living in one of the most expensive places in the world.

Lets take a stock take.
You earn $80k (which is a great rate).
You lose +/- $30k in tax
Less another $20k in rent
less, lets say, $10k for a car.

You have $20k/annum to live off. In what is an expensive county to live in.

Ok, I know I will get bashed over the above numbers, and yes, you can live cheaper, and maybe a car doesnt cost $10k/annum, and maybe you can live without a car etc etc etc (etc etc etc).

The point I am making is that it is not all beer and skittles. I have had plenty of friends who have relocated to Oz, without realising how truly expensive the place is. They were offered great opening salaries (much higher than $80k), but when all said and done, they have re-located again, because it just didnt make sense commercially.

For what I think an architect would earn initially, I would dare say they could do better elsewhere in the world.

Its my 2c. Let the bashings begin :D

Blacky

Lol Blacky, should I start?

Its my 2c. Let the bashings begin :D

Blacky

For the most part, foreigners to Australia hear about the $$ which we earn, and think "great, I cant earn that sort of $$ doing what Im doing in xxx country".

I'mm fully aware that this is an expensive country. The consideration come from living conditions.

In addition, the majority of major cities in Australia have some of the worst public transport of any '1st' world country in the world.

Lol. Yes if you compare it with 1st world country.
I'm from 3rd world country and city with one of the worst daily traffic and pollution ever. Australia is a big relief.

While yes, you can mostly make it from your home to the city centre to get to work, try making it to your friends place for an evening dinner. Let alone home again...safely. So - mostly you need a car.

Lived here for 7 years now. Survived without being able to drive. Hubby got company car for the last 2 years, so he drives on weekend to visit places. But I don't need to drive :rolleyes:

Then, you are living in one of the most expensive places in the world.

In most 3rd world country, you will see the cheapest things around are food. Quality items and clothes are cheaper, but they're not necessarily cheap.

Lets take a stock take.
You earn $80k (which is a great rate).
You lose +/- $30k in tax
Less another $20k in rent
less, lets say, $10k for a car.

Told her that if she want to move here, she'll need to share house. Think of it living like a student. She need to earn minimum $30K after tax.

The point I am making is that it is not all beer and skittles. I have had plenty of friends who have relocated to Oz, without realising how truly expensive the place is. They were offered great opening salaries (much higher than $80k), but when all said and done, they have re-located again, because it just didnt make sense commercially.

Depends on what they expect when they move here. I used to earn $30K per annum. I was able to hold for rent for $390 per week, food, budget local holiday for 2 (!!). Yes, living from pay check to pay check. But once you settled, it shouldn't cost $50K just to live here.

But then. I don't like to drink beers and go out every weekends. Love my little peace at home.

For what I think an architect would earn initially, I would dare say they could do better elsewhere in the world.

:) Probably.
Try United States.
Annual Leave is usually 2 weeks, and not obligatory for employer to give (Australia is 4 weeks compulsory). Personal leave is also less (Australia is 10 days compulsory).
No government support on health insurance.
Of course, there are loads of other factors. But hearing the initial employment conditions, I feel lucky to be in Australia.

Try Singapore.
She worked there before. Almost always leave the office at 8-10pm. People are not really nice unfortunately. They're especially dislikes foreigners who "took jobs from Singaporeans" (sound familiar?)
Great transport, cheap food.
A tiny studio apartment cost $500K. Car is about $100K for what we can get here for $20K. Salary about $2000 a month. Eating out is cheaper than cooking.

Depends on which country you compare Australia with, I think Sydney is an amazing place (Sydney because I live here).

Back