Do you think IKEA affects property prices?

I know it's only anecdotal but there's a brand new Bunnings in Forbes NSW (real close to Parkes) and it's beeeauutiful. I've only been out this way for a few years but the first thing I noticed when I moved here is how many unrenovated properties there are. Now we can all make our houses nice.
I'm sure they go for unrenovated areas where the household income is increasing from very low to not so low to not too bad now, as mentioned above.
As for IKEA - my impression is that they plant themselves in areas where there are young people renting and buying and where there's easy access and in an area that is/was slightly industrial so they can use up lots of space. They want to be as close to as many young people suburbs as possible but the site itself may be a way off gentrification.
As already said, there are less IKEAs so more important to get as much access from as many different routes as possible.
But Bunnings = impending gentrification, yes. :) imo

There are also certain govt programs and courses run at TAFE that I look out for i.e. a lower socio-economic region but lots of young 'uns.

Believe me or not but the large enough site with the right 'bulky goods zoning', established population around the site and large enough catchment area (no completion or existing Bunnings store close by) are the most important criterias when Bunnings chooses sites to their new stores. It is hard enough to find sites that fill those criterias, so immediate suburb's gentrification potential does not have impact on decision making. It's plus, but not criteria. Customers travels quite far to get to the closest Bunnings, so immediate neighbourhood does not matter as much as for Coles or Woolies when they make decision where new supermarkets will be opened.

Not sure about other states but I don't think Ikea landing in the outer inner west (Tempe) NSW really made much difference to house prices. House prices in the area were already skyrocketing due to proximity to Sydney CBD and rail line.

I don't believe the Rhodes ikea store made much difference either, but given the huge blocks of apartments around it, they certainly picked the right spot. As other have said they like to pick spots where large volumes of people who may not have a car can walk to it (and then leave with trolleys which they dump in surrounding streets).

Personally I love ikea, it is an excellent indoor playground for my kid in extreme heat or cold where she can jump on beds and then leave ! good parking too - just avoid the 'bargain corner'.

I could only imagine the kind of reports that get put together when selecting a suburb

That got me thinking, has anyone on the forum ever been privy to this kind of information? I would be VERY interested in what they look like/what factors get taken into consideration.

I once heard something about the financial location criteria for Bunnings. It was a long time ago, but had parameters such as minimum population that's growing, covered household income, owner occupier percentages, store exposure, sustainability. They put a lot of effort into their research.

Soooooo anyone work for Bunnings corporate??? :D:D

When was Ikea ever in Artarmon?

Original one was Blacktown (1970's-80's) followed by Gordon (80's/90's), Rhodes (late 1990's & beyond), St Peters (2012) & Marsden Park (2015).

I would say Ikea (and Costco, Bunnings and Master all in 1 hit) at Marsden Park will drive demand around those areas. Marsden Park is not cheap as a result.

IKEA seem to like being close to airports. Eg. Tempe, Adelaide and the new one near Canberra.

I have a feeling that bunnings store location algorithm would now inclue a parameter that considers whether a competitor might be interested. Thinking Masters here. Bunnings would like to lock them out of locations.

That got me thinking, has anyone on the forum ever been privy to this kind of information? I would be VERY interested in what they look like/what factors get taken into consideration.

As you can probably guess from my previous posts I have been privy to this kind of information in my previous life. The starting point is to estimate customer catchment area, distance that customers would be willing to travel to a store. The catchment area varies depending on the retail concept.e.g. IKEAs catchment area is much larger than e.g. coles or woolies supermarkets. Ring road IKEAs catchment area would be all the way from Altona to Eltham, but no-one from Altona or Elthan would travel that far to buy groceries.

Inside a catchment area factors that are taken into account are population statistics e.g. Demographic, type of customers, disposable income, seifa index, planning scheme, zoning, 'friendliness of council', access to freeways and parking, outbound or inbound (going from home to work side on the road or going from work to home), Competitors in the catchment area, cannibalisation impact on other stores of the same retail chain, other retail offers in the areas creating destination to the customers, estimated population growth, size of the site etc. and naturally a price of the site or ongoing rent costs.

Unfortunately really really rarely you can find a site that ticks all the boxes, so more or less you have to compromise or the price or lease of the site is way over the top and makes the site unprofitable.

Back