Does a 10 year old age gap make a material impact?

You ever met a woman who slept with a super ugly dude cause he had a 'good personality'? Didn't think so. Physical attraction is always there on some level. It's more important to some than others, but it's always there.

Lucky I had a good personaility or I would never have met any chicks myself! Certainly made up for my super ugly looks :eek:

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder they say.

Invest:
Attraction is NOT a choice

Hmmm, okay, will think on the detail over that, but behaviour and response is a choice.

For consideration:

http://www.wglasser.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=27

Choice Theory

The 1998 book, Choice Theory: A New Psychology of Personal Freedom, is the primary text for all that is taught by The William Glasser Institute. Choice theory states that:

•all we do is behave,
•that almost all behavior is chosen, and
•that we are driven by our genes to satisfy five basic needs: survival, love and belonging, power, freedom and fun.

In practice, the most important need is love and belonging, as closeness and connectedness with the people we care about is a requisite for satisfying all of the needs

...and:

The Ten Axioms of Choice Theory

1.The only person whose behavior we can control is our own.

2.All we can give another person is information.

3.All long-lasting psychological problems are relationship problems.

4.The problem relationship is always part of our present life.

5.What happened in the past has everything to do with what we are today, but we can only satisfy our basic needs right now and plan to continue satisfying them in the future.

6.We can only satisfy our needs by satisfying the pictures in our Quality World.

7.All we do is behave.

8.All behavior is Total Behavior and is made up of four components: acting, thinking, feeling and physiology.

9.All Total Behavior is chosen, but we only have direct control over the acting and thinking components. We can only control our feeling and physiology indirectly through how we choose to act and think.

10.All Total Behavior is designated by verbs and named by the part that is the most recognizable

My Wife said:
You're only ever as old as the man you're feeling

I love that woman! :D

There's not 10 years in it but she certainly has a good head start on me and for us it is completely irrelevant. Mutual attraction was instantaneous and 15 years and one child later we're still the happiest couple on earth. Period. Noone is as happy as we are!

Cheers,
Michael

A theoretical question ;) for the collective wise heads at SS. I have been having an internal dialogue about this question recently and whilst have thought of many possible things that could be issues, it might be better to see what actual issues are in the real world.

Has anyone been in a personal relationship (successful or otherwise) with the age gap in excess of 10 years? Were there any issues that you could attribute to age differential? Of course, even if you haven't, feel free to comment.

No, not quite ready to have this conversation with friends yet as this "friendship" that I refer to, is only relatively new. Call this personal relationship due diligence :). And just to add to the issues, she lives interstate. (And yes, she is the younger one).

I realise a property investing forum would not usually be on the initial shortlist of places you would actually go and ask this question, but I do respect a lot of the opinions here, so wise property investors may also shed some light on these 'non-property issues. Thanks

Buzz Your thread is titled material, your questions seem to be related to marital and relationship.
Or are you concerned about the material, [property,financial, sports cars] effect on the marital possibilities of the relationship?

Do you care enough for this woman to give her half of what you've got, or alternatively to take 1/3 of what she's got if in 5 yrs it doesn't work out?

If you want to spend the rest of your life with her just go for it. How old she is doesn't matter, who she is does.

Slim:)

Last edited:
Interesting post Our_Obssession, I haven't heard of Choice Theory before so I'll have to mull it over before I give you my definitive take on it.

In the interim I'd have to say that I still believe attraction isn't a choice. I believe that our bodies take over long enough to have us mate with someone with good genes to give our offspring the best chance of survival. Now, our bodies are hard-wired to spot certain behaviors and recognises them as good indicators of mating fitness. Even though they may not be necessarily "good" in the context of today's society.

For men, we don't choose what we find to be visually attractive. So, I don't see where behavior interacts with attraction in that sense. I also submit that whilst we can choose our behavior, it's extraordinarily difficult to go against the urges that compell you.

So, in choice theory, is homosexuality considered a chosen behavior, or a state? Or does the paradigm simply assert that state is irrelevant or unimportant and that behavior is all that matters?

To that I would say that actions are certainly defining, but they don't occur spontaneously, without reason or without reference to internal states and drives.

That being the case, how would choice theory explain women who continuously date abusive, destructive men who clearly aren't a healthy influence to have in their life? I'm sure rationally these women KNOW that the man is bad for her, but she isn't "Choosing" as her (as Dawkins would put it) replicator gene is the one who is truly calling the shots.

Maybe I still need time to think it through, and clear it up for me if possible. I simply have a hard time accepting that people are so rational as to "choose" most of the time when they so clearly "choose" behaviors that aren't the best for them and they know it rationally.

For example, when I really, really like a girl, and I KNOW I shouldn't call so soon, I still find myself punching those numbers and saying to myself 'What the heck are you doing? Put the phone down, you KNOW this is wrong' but I do it anyway (not as often these days).

So let me know where I may be missing the point.

I enjoyed reading Choice Theory...A New Psychology of Personal Freedom by William Glasser MD. It's been around a while....nothing new. Was rather delighted I had been practicing it, albeit in a haphazard fashion...:)

Book chapter contents are, the theory, the practice, the application..

It can be utilised in education, business, relationships, self help..see my post above for his site.

You sound like a lovely sincere guy but was just wondering..

How would she feel about you writing all this on a public forum?

Good luck , I hope it all works out for you.:)

Last edited:
as its been said
as you qage thats when it really can be difficult, though i've seen some very vibraNT 90 year olds, but otherwise it can be an issue then.

they had a police show on tv last night wehre interests, music, activities, tv shows were all being compromised to keep someone younger. the guys daughter ended up being jealous and it didnt HAve3 q GOOD END.BUT IN REal life i have friends who love older guys even 18 years older and are very independent women and happy. theres a famous cook Nigella who just sAYS If it works it works. she is also married to someoen some 20 years older. i think my daughters partner is about that much older nd they are happy.

First sign of a mid life crisis! Just hurry up Buzz, Jake needs some cousins!:)

Property values to fall in Melbourne in most areas circa 15-20% in the next two years. They said it would never happen in California and Vegas, then...40%!!

Back