Does anyone else have a kindle?

I have wanted one since a trip to Vietnam in May last year and an American girl was showing one to a local. That was on a Junk boat in the middle of Halong Bay. So, last month when Amazon released the International Version, I ordered one on the spot and it arrived with the first batch to Australia.

I have been able to download so many books - and am actually finding time to read a lot more (and spend less time on the computer). There is a whole kindle world out there and a thriving industry of accessories like skins, covers, lights etc. Book prices range from free to around $9.99 (US as I buy them from the US site) but way cheaper than the prices here You can search Amazon, find a book, pay, and start reading within a minute!:D

So, anyone else have one?

Oh, wow! I had no idea there was an international version. I was so excited when it first came out; until I discovered that we couldn't use it here. Thanks, Pushka. Think I will put it on my Xmas list. Anthing youy don't like about it, or are you still in the honeymoon stage?

I'm waiting for other manufacturers to release more... I've been looking into the sony e-reader as well as the kindle. I think this is gonna be my xmas present :)

anything you don't like so far from the kindle? battery OK?

Um, well, I did 'jail break' it so I could remove some of the Amazon screensavers they had installed, and also so I could change the fonts. Many people like the preset ones, but I like to play! And they didnt ship a wall charger to Australia; my laptop didnt recognise the kindle to charge it, and my iphone wall charger (everyone's iphone wall charger) actually discharges the battery. WT! But then I went to Dick Smiths and bought the traveller Digitor USB wall charger M9912 and that is the ONLY model wall charger I have found that actually charges it!

So, it was more of a problem to start with, than a honeymoon, so it will get better and better.

There is no internal filing system or folders, but apparently that is coming. I have downloaded another program - Calibre - that converts PDF documents to .mobi documents so the kindle can read them, but apparently a firmware update released last night will do that too.

One problem - it is WAY TOO EASY spending money buying books! :eek::D

I have an iphone and straight away I kept wanting to 'swipe' it.

You do need to register a US address if you want to access the full range of books that Amazon has; otherwise you are limited to Australian versions.

This is an excellent forum:

kindleboards.com

It answers EVERYTHING you need to know! It is actually more addictive than this forum.

Whispernet for downloading works very quickly - like, 60 seconds, but I download to my laptop then transfer them across to the kindle. The battery lasts 2 weeks if just reading, but apparently a few days if the wireless is left on. I rarely have the wireless on so battery lasts forever.

Cool....hadn't seen that before.
I love to curl up in bed with a good book...just doesn't seem the same to curl up with a Kindle...no papery smell, no folding the corner down to remember your page..and forget reading a book in the bath!:)
But would be awesome for travel, or on the way to work...
Think I'll stick with real books for now!

Nadia

Someone posted about Kindle on here earlier this year (or was it last year?) Anyway I wanted one but they weren't available outside the US. So looks like good news.

I'll have to look again. I think it would be so handy. When I go away I bring a few books then look for book exchanges. It's a pain really. The time plus the weight. I like the voice option as well. Great for when you are at the beach etc and you get sick of physically reading.

Thanks.

The Kindle looks really good and because it uses e-ink technology and not light, it's like reading a real book, you're eyes don't get tired like they do watching a TV screen, unlike a big clumsy book, you can fit thousands of books in a razor thin, light device. However, I'll be waiting for a second update, as it stands now, the Kindle does not support native PDF, you have to convert every PDF which breaks its formatting, etc.

The Kindle DX, the bigger screen version supports PDF natively, but you can't change font sizes and there's no international version so that is a let down.

The Kindle DX, the bigger screen version supports PDF natively, but you can't change font sizes and there's no international version so that is a let down.

They put out an upgrade last night that lets you read PDF docs on the Kindle 2 now. I have heard about the 'smelling of books' - to me they smell musty - although text books smell ok. And you can read the kindle in the bath as there are waterproof containers. And no need to turn down the pages as the kindle remembers where you left off. You can also 'write notes' while reading. And if you get sick of reading, many kindle books have the voice option, so the book can be read to you - choice of male or female voice.

I have a US version Kindle DX and love it. I wouldn't want the International version - limited range of more expensive books, I'll pass. Not too difficult to get it working :)

I have a US version Kindle DX and love it. I wouldn't want the International version - limited range of more expensive books, I'll pass.
If you have a legitimate US address and account you can obtain all books at US prices. And there are also some available on the Australian site that are not available in the US.

I think for many genres/forms of reading, the e-readers (such as Kindle) are the way of the future,
especially once they reach a more competitive price point.
(not sure how they are going to work for children's picture books).
How much did you pay for yours, Pushka?

Personally, I like a paper book, but I think my children's generation, who have been raised from birth on electronic devices, will take to these with ease. It would be handly to travel with many books in one book-sized device.

Thanks
Caroline

If you have a legitimate US address and account you can obtain all books at US prices. And there are also some available on the Australian site that are not available in the US.

So you can register an International kindle to a "US" account? Cool. I bought my US Kindle about a month before they announced the International version.

so why is it better than any other book readers?
what formats does it support?

can you load books without buying them from Amazon?

Back