Does Brisbane still stack up?

Hi Jerrybee,
Wow, that's almost a $1m if I wanna buy in now in Robertson or Sunnybank. I didn't expect that much capital growth for a suburb in Brisbane either. That's equivalent to inner city Leichhardt or Newtown here in Sydeny! But what's causing this price increase in Robertson / Sunnybank? Just Chinese buyres a lone? What happened in the area in the last 12 months? Any major infrastructure improvement? I'm just trying to understand these mysterious Brissie suburbs.
Thanks heaps!

Nope to new infrastructure. They are just great places to live.

Big underpass on Kessels Rd just finished. Plus garden city shopping centre next door to Robertson just doubled in size.
But nothing to justify those prices.

Just doubled in size? Crikey. Did it take up the outside carpark and the tax building?

Just doubled in size? Crikey. Did it take up the outside carpark and the tax building?

I'm not sure what they did exactly, but doubled in size would have to be pretty accurate. I've been twice since they did the massive reno and extension and I still haven't seen all of it yet.

It's awesome now. They did a really good job with it.

I'm not sure what they did exactly, but doubled in size would have to be pretty accurate. I've been twice since they did the massive reno and extension and I still haven't seen all of it yet.

It's awesome now. They did a really good job with it.

I haven't been there yet. I hope it's not like Paramatta Westfield - sure it's bigger now but it's clearly just a bunch of extensions shoehorned together. I just find it unpleasant walking around there with so many disjointed escalators and weird paths that were obviously not planned from the very beginning.

I haven't been there yet. I hope it's not like Paramatta Westfield - sure it's bigger now but it's clearly a bunch of extensions shoehorned together. I just find it unpleasant walking around there with so many disjointed elevators and weird paths.

Nah they've done a good job of it. But my tastes probably aren't very discerning lol.

They seem to have tied it all in together well. Like re-doing some of the older area with some of the newer flooring to tie it all together.

My favourite bit would be the downstairs food court. They went for a bit of an industrial look, and it's a really nice atmosphere with the live music in the background.

Apparently the new movies food court area is supposed to be really cool too, but haven't seen it yet.

Nah they've done a good job of it. But my tastes probably aren't very discerning lol.

They seem to have tied it all in together well. Like re-doing some of the older area with some of the newer flooring to tie it all together.

My favourite bit would be the downstairs food court. They went for a bit of an industrial look, and it's a really nice atmosphere with the live music in the background.

Apparently the new movies food court area is supposed to be really cool too, but haven't seen it yet.

That's great to hear. Every time I go to Paramatta Westfield I feel like I'm in a maze. I look forward to checking it out.

I'm with you Tim - it's great.

The themed Asian food street is very well done too, always packed, and any premium beer for $5 (whilst the wife does the groceries, cough).

Since we moved from Mt Gravatt to the edge of the inner ring, we find ourselves driving/riding to Mount Gravatt most days, and the city very rarely.

Definitely an area to watch (and keep) IMO.

Hi Jerrybee,
Wow, that's almost a $1m if I wanna buy in now in Robertson or Sunnybank. I didn't expect that much capital growth for a suburb in Brisbane either. That's equivalent to inner city Leichhardt or Newtown here in Sydeny! But what's causing this price increase in Robertson / Sunnybank? Just Chinese buyres a lone? What happened in the area in the last 12 months? Any major infrastructure improvement? I'm just trying to understand these mysterious Brissie suburbs.
Thanks heaps!
Definitely price pressure upwards from Chinese buyers but those listings look too expensive relative to other stock available despite being 5 bedrooms IMO. The extension to Garden city is massive but I don't think this has much to do with the price increases nearby

according to re.com the median 3 bed house is $558k and 4 bed is $661k in Sunnybank.. Not sure where $900k+ is coming from? Driving down Mains Rd I get a bit of a ghetto vibe.. The houses are pretty unkept in this area imo.

Last edited:
These two properties in Parkinson are next door to each other. The 2nd property is a bit nicer but probably a good indication that prices have gone up a bit in past 5yrs after being flat. (allowing for property 2 being a bit nicer about 10% growth in 5 yrs - ouch)

I think there is still a bit of room to go up in price.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-parkinson-106694096

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-parkinson-118971123

Just like how Sydney booms and then Brisbane, Parkinson is the same. Parkinson is usually where people who have been pushed out of the good parts of Calamvale go when prices get too high, and Calamvale is where people go after being pushed out of Sunnybank Hills or Eight Mile Plains, and at the top is Sunnybank. Since Sunnybank is going so crazy it won't be long until you see Parkinson heat up. I mean lots of houses in Runcorn are already in the 500's (I would not have believed it 12 months ago!) so Parkinson is looking like very good value. I still don't like it though, I just don't like that side of the freeway!

according to re.com the median 3 bed house is $558k and 4 bed is $661k in Sunnybank.. Not sure where $900k+ is coming from? Driving down Mains Rd I get a bit of a ghetto vibe.. The houses are pretty unkept in this area imo.

They are from auction prices that aren't disclosed on the web. If you know the area well you'll know what commands (and deserves) that sort of money:)

This is an example of what I'm talking about:

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-sunnybank-119221995

It sold for just under 1m but it's not the areas in referring to. It's crap value IMO but it's an example of a listing that doesn't reveal the price. There are a few of these that don't appear on anyone's radar.

Last edited:
Just like how Sydney booms and then Brisbane, Parkinson is the same. Parkinson is usually where people who have been pushed out of the good parts of Calamvale go when prices get too high, and Calamvale is where people go after being pushed out of Sunnybank Hills or Eight Mile Plains, and at the top is Sunnybank. Since Sunnybank is going so crazy it won't be long until you see Parkinson heat up. I mean lots of houses in Runcorn are already in the 500's (I would not have believed it 12 months ago!) so Parkinson is looking like very good value. I still don't like it though, I just don't like that side of the freeway!

Oh good, thanks for update.

Regarding houses on Mains rd I agree with you but the better pockets are a couple of streets back from there. I don't think many of the residents are familiar with lawn mowing so when it rains many yards are untidy, maybe because they have come from apartment living overseas?
Have a look at sales in Dunedin street, nearly all sales are well over 1 million

This property hit the market and sold almost immediately. I asked the agent and he confirmed this was the case (sometimes they are sold before even being listed, which is not what's happened here):

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-calamvale-119840081

For them to take an offer that quickly before the first open home, I have to assume it was a good offer, presumably over 1m. Pretty good for a relatively small block.

Small block but a big house by the look of it

Avoid CBD units , there are concerns re upcoming oversupply .

House in the suburbs. There's lots of alternatives and recent threads.

Spend some time reading them and narow your search to three - four areas.

Read all you can on them and hen go and have a look .

Cliff

Agree with most said, especially for Brisbane.
Also, usually we buy houses in areas where most demographic is for houses, units where mostly are units present (this is just a generalised approach).

Back