Does Brisbane still stack up?

I don't know so much about Sunnybank other than the brief time I've spent there when doing some suburb DD on the ground.

But... If the Chinese are taking interest in house stock there, I'd advise taking a look at school zonings. We all know that the Chinese discerning buyers value good school catchment zones quite highly, so if Sunnybank is sitting in catchment for good schools, there's your reason why the Chinese interest and possibly why the example provided, achieved such a ludicrous price.

Think of it like Sydney's Epping. A 'nothing special' suburb on its own (another example: Sydney's Hurstville) but the school catchments attract Chinese buyers like ants to a picnic. If you can get access to Brisbane's top ten ranked best performing HSC/year 12-results public schools; you can be sure the suburbs those schools are in will be Chinese hot-spots.

I don't know so much about Sunnybank other than the brief time I've spent there when doing some suburb DD on the ground.

But... If the Chinese are taking interest in house stock there, I'd advise taking a look at school zonings. We all know that the Chinese discerning buyers value good school catchment zones quite highly, so if Sunnybank is sitting in catchment for good schools, there's your reason why the Chinese interest and possibly why the example provided, achieved such a ludicrous price.

Think of it like Sydney's Epping. A 'nothing special' suburb on its own (another example: Sydney's Hurstville) but the school catchments attract Chinese buyers like ants to a picnic. If you can get access to Brisbane's top ten ranked best performing HSC/year 12-results public schools; you can be sure the suburbs those schools are in will be Chinese hot-spots.

Where could we find the best performing schools list?

They're not taking an interest there, Sunnybank is already Chinatown. The little Chinatown in the Valley is for the tourists. The only authentic hotpot is in Sunnybank :p

What's interesting about brisbane is that the market is growing despite their main driver ie mining significantly down. What will happen when these commodities rebound...

What's interesting about brisbane is that the market is growing despite their main driver ie mining significantly down. What will happen when these commodities rebound...

Change of government playing a bigger part now. Mining is more regional based too

Brisbane house time on market now longer than Hobart, Adelaide and Canberra.
Brisbane house avg. vendor discount now higher than Perth, Adelaide and Canberra.
Interestingly, Canberra now has a lower avg. vendor discount for houses than Sydney and Melbourne.

Attachments

• TOM.jpg
    TOM.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 103
Been to a few OFI last few weeks around 10-15km from Brisbane.. 5-6 people at most of them. Doesn't seem like any urgency by any buyers. I don't feel much need to rush into anything.

Sunnybank might be a bit different - but Chinese gonna Chinese :rolleyes:

I've been trying to get a 3/2/2 or 4/2/2 in the middle/inner north (chermside, aspley, mcdowell, ferny hills etc) through a buyers agent from interstate since late last year. Very hard to get anything under what is being asked for. ie. Put an offer in on a house in Aspley that was $619,000+ at $605,000 with supporting evidence as to why I was bidding at that price and it ended up selling for $649k. This is happening ALL THE TIME and anything new that is decent seemingly has offers on it within the first day or two. Just my experience. The search goes on :mad:

I've been trying to get a 3/2/2 or 4/2/2 in the middle/inner north (chermside, aspley, mcdowell, ferny hills etc) through a buyers agent from interstate since late last year. Very hard to get anything under what is being asked for. ie. Put an offer in on a house in Aspley that was $619,000+ at $605,000 with supporting evidence as to why I was bidding at that price and it ended up selling for $649k. This is happening ALL THE TIME and anything new that is decent seemingly has offers on it within the first day or two. Just my experience. The search goes on :mad:

When the market is moving like this , if you want to buy something you need to move and make competitive offers .

Otherwise in another six months you may be kicking yourself when the market has moved another 50 k and you're still trying to justify 605 when the market has reached 700 .

I don't know that market so I don't know what it's doing.

In the last six years , we paid 30 % under when the market is dead , but it's not dead at the moment ,

when the market is moving we've paid at or slightly over asking price .

Cliff

I understand all this. My comments are a reflection on how I'm finding the market place at the moment as opposed to what other people are reporting ie. Buyers don't seem to be in any hurry etc. I have adjusted my strategy, and am still finding you have to get in quick on quality properties as they are attracting decent offers as soon as listed.

I understand all this. My comments are a reflection on how I'm finding the market place at the moment as opposed to what other people are reporting ie. Buyers don't seem to be in any hurry etc. I have adjusted my strategy, and am still finding you have to get in quick on quality properties as they are attracting decent offers as soon as listed.

Ok makes sense. I was hoping you wouldn't be one of those people that hold their ground and then complain about how unfair it is a year from now when everything has gone up 100k.

Yes I agree with you, I've read comments here and there from people saying it still hasn't picked up much steam. I have no idea what they're on about.

Back