Does Brisbane still stack up?

Agree about the steam definitely been in it for a little while now, I'd been looking for a PPOR properly since the start of the year (watching the market long before that waiting to build finances) and anything decent has been going fast, at or above asking price. I'd call up about places that had just shown up on realestate.com.au and the agent would tell me 'sorry it's under contract, would you like me to call you if it falls through?'
Finally came across a place I really liked that wasn't under contract, maybe because it had just hit the net when I refreshed the Page :), convinced the agent to take me through before the first open home, liked what I saw, put forward a strong, fair offer with short b+p and finance clause, owners accepted.
Agent still held open home, so I went along to see how much interest there was. There were about 25-30 there, overheard a couple talking to the agent that they wanted to put in a back up offer that was over 10k above what I had a contract on it for, that made me feel like I'd done the right thing with it.

10k backup offer? You'll be sweating bullets if there are any delays getting finance and need to go cap in hand for an extension...!

I am wondering if this strength is only suburb specific or if it's a lead indicator because as a whole market there appears to have had little growth so far.
A couple of suburbs I follow are showing 12 monthly growth of about 9% yet Residex/APM etc show Brisbane as a whole not going anywhere yet, I am not sure if their figures represent the BCC area or greater BN which is a much larger area.

Yes I agree with you, I've read comments here and there from people saying it still hasn't picked up much steam. I have no idea what they're on about.

Same here, I don't understand otherwise sensible SS'ers irrationally jumping in markets where suburbs have already experienced their growth.

Same here, I don't understand otherwise sensible SS'ers irrationally jumping in markets where suburbs have already experienced their growth.

If an area/suburb(Brisbane I presume you are talking about) has picked up in recent times there is no way to tell if it still has some some upside left to go unless of course it has already boomed big time which I don't think anywhere in Brisbane has.

I guess it depends on your strategy long term buy and hold or profiting from a quick turnaround.

There seems to be a few new members on this site that are after advice.

http://www.australiannationalreview.com/major-infrastructure-projects-store-queensland/
A little positivity attached, not a great deal of detail but some of these projects look likely to go ahead.

This would be great it looks very promising. The trick would be to be able to identify which areas would benefit the most from this in Brisbane and the regional areas mentioned.

Some more info here:

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/...d-infrastructure-pipeline-simon-pressley.html

Exciting. I always wonder what hidden agendas writers have when I read articles like this, but I'll take them at face value and assume they are objective.

"Pumped on Property has concluded that Queensland?s real estate market is boosting because it is generating positive commentary from the country?s leading real estate experts and the real estate market is very diverse. As Your Investment Property magazine has put it, southeast Queensland is the pick of Australia this year."

2 companies mentioned in that paragraph, not sure how objective that seems.
The 1st one has come to this conclusion because people reckon. And the 2nd one has just decided because. Hmm.

"Pumped on Property has concluded that Queensland?s real estate market is boosting because it is generating positive commentary from the country?s leading real estate experts and the real estate market is very diverse. As Your Investment Property magazine has put it, southeast Queensland is the pick of Australia this year."

The 1st one has come to this conclusion because people reckon. And the 2nd one has just decided because. Hmm.

Hehe
..Azazel is our resident brisbane bear...:D

Hehe
..Azazel is our resident brisbane bear...:D

Haha, totally :D Although they were a pretty crappy team: wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Bears

Which specific markets are you referring to ?
Cliff

People tend to get a little touchy when you mention their pet suburbs ;)
But I would say any suburb that has recently experienced significant gains and is well above it's previous peak.

Anything from self interest groups obviously is not, the infrastructure projects were more the point but time will tell, can't see too much happening unless population growth picks up to levels previously achieved

Anything from self interest groups obviously is not, the infrastructure projects were more the point but time will tell, can't see too much happening unless population growth picks up to levels previously achieved

Spot on, population growth requires jobs, otherwise it's just more of a drain on the economy.

Back