Does Brisbane still stack up?

Alright then:) Roughly what's your time frame (when do you plan to stop)? Or is that a secret too?:)

Have you finished buying yet ?

Many opportunities in Brisbane in many different markets.

Leo

I think that's true .

I've seen posts reporting good returns in all of the usual suspect areas for good returns , and obviously the nicer areas are still reasonably priced compared with Sydney and many places are still at or under their historical highs ( not sure how the well placed , nice areas are in relation to this )

Cliff

I got a letter saying essentially, "we overpaid you about 1000 dollars n 2012 according to our calculations. And we want you to pay it back, next pay".

I'll pay, but then I'll claim the $1000 a week overtime I don't currently claim out of good will to the government.

Stupid way to run any sort of enterprise.
Offer to pay them back $10/week

There has been growth in a lot of the inner city suburbs, we've just upgraded our PPOR to get in closer to the CBD and it has been an absolute battle. 10-15 groups through each open home and getting into multiple offer situations extremely common. Compared to when we bought our IP in 2012, 5 groups through across 3 open homes and ours being the only offer on the table. The feel on the ground hasn't been that anything is slowing down.

The construction company I work for is bringing a lot of people in from interstate to make up resource shortages on jobs. In the last year we've gone from a workbook of $300m to now just over $1b, the majority of it is residential construction and they're forcasting to tender close to another $1b worth of work in the next 6 months. I think we will see a lot more jobs created in the sector because of the volume of work coming up in Brisbane. Some of these will be taken up by the people coming off of the mines as they move into their production phase rather than construction but I still think there will be a shortage a skilled workers in the area. This combined with the lifestyle and cheaper housing will make QLD attractive to people shut out of the Sydney/Melbourne markets.

Thats my reason for being optimistic towards Brisbane anyway.
Me too! I think those sitting on the sidelines waiting to hear better employment figures will regret it.

I'm starting to freak out too, because there are some really good bargains up there at the moment and we won't be able to purchase for another 2 months or so. looking at around $500k North side with a 90%LVR already in talks with the mortgage broker! Just got to hope nothing significant happens until the end of the year.......:)

I'm starting to freak out too, because there are some really good bargains up there at the moment and we won't be able to purchase for another 2 months or so. looking at around $500k North side with a 90%LVR already in talks with the mortgage broker! Just got to hope nothing significant happens until the end of the year.......:)

Is it because you need your next tax return? I'm in the same bind too. I'm due to meet my accountant asap in the new financial year. It can't come soon enough.

Is it because you need your next tax return? I'm in the same bind too. I'm due to meet my accountant asap in the new financial year. It can't come soon enough.

Yes and 2 NRAS payments for this year. I probably have enough right now if I drain the accounts but I want to keep some cash in reserve. I have bought a couple of times now by throwing everything into a deposit and it just makes me stressed until I can get my buffers built up again.

Fingers crossed everything with the ATO and NRAS works out.

Yes and 2 NRAS payments for this year. I probably have enough right now if I drain the accounts but I want to keep some cash in reserve. I have bought a couple of times now by throwing everything into a deposit and it just makes me stressed until I can get my buffers built up again.

Fingers crossed everything with the ATO and NRAS works out.

Ok good luck! I've never been so anxious to see my accountant!

Hi All,

Looking to buy my first investment property. From Sydney, but have been priced out of the market there, hence looking at other parts of Australia - Brisbane strikes me as having the most potential for long term growth.

Anyway....at this stage I've narrowed my search to 2 main areas:
1. Inner north-West Brisbane - Kelvin Grove, Red Hill etc
2. Outer Brisbane - Logan Central and surrounding suburbs

Thoughts on the above? Both areas seem to have experienced solid growth in the last year (c. 10%), but I believe there is still plenty of scope for growth over the medium to long term.

Brisbane's best market to be in now. Where are we? 5pm? Late afternoon/early evening, a few boozy drinks, everyone feeling warm and fuzzy, but we still have a night of partying ahead of us.

Sydney is having a wild dancefloor. I feel the peak. Great time, having a lot of fun. But I know it's not long before the crowd dies out, a few dodgy nimbos left harrassing any singles they can find, unwanted drugs start circulating and the cops shut shop.

Melbourne is getting pretty crowded, a few interstate visitors have come down partying, all trying to get the waiter's attention. I can see almost everyone's bought drinks and half the crowd is partying away at the dancefloor. A few on-lookers and still a queue outside to get in, we're an hour or 2 away from the wild party.

I think it's great if you have properties in areas that have gone up.
Just beginning - where were you at the end of 2013?
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...s-housing-market/story-fnihsrf2-1226762129823
And did you sleep through 2014? ;)

....Must, drag, myself, away from reading the comment section of that article.

It's like being sucked into the YouTube comment section vortex. The first 1 or 2 can be entertaining but from then on the compounding negativity makes your head hurt.

I got a newsletter today from my Union informing us that the State Govt has reversed Newman's IR laws, so job security for at least the Public Sector is back. That will ease some concerns about employment and may well have a flow on effect into the supporting services such as hospitality and of course lending.

That's good news, I'd move back if there were more jobs. And not just 1, being able to move around again would be nice.

I got a letter saying essentially, "we overpaid you about 1000 dollars n 2012 according to our calculations. And we want you to pay it back, next pay".
I'll pay, but then I'll claim the $1000 a week overtime I don't currently claim out of good will to the government.
Stupid way to run any sort of enterprise.

That payroll debacle was worthwhile, they found the missing $1,000!
Did that $1.2 billion get funnelled back into the economy or overseas I wonder...

Back