Does first PPOR hesitation exists?

Ok Im back looking around for my 1st PPOR since my partner is now in the country.

So back on track for hunting around for a good deal. Found that prices are more reasonable this year compared to 1 to 1.5 years ago. Not as artificially inflated.

I wondering if Im hesitating too much when looking around. I need a garage but houses with garages so far is too dark, or feels a bit small inside.. Found a house without a garage (small carport) thats nice and bright, feels averagely roomy.. fits me about 85%. just the garage is a deal breaker, but I guess I can put up a garage kit myself if allowed by council later down the track.

So Im wondering, If theres a definite sign (light bulb moment) when viewing a property that says this is it or for a first home if I should get something that fits me as close to 100%. (in this case 85% and feels just as 'OKAY', maybe it will grow on me.)

How did other forum members found their first PPOR purchase?

Should I be picky or just loosey get something that Im just okay with.

Actually Im thinking if house already had a garage I would probably not really think much about it and just go ahead with the offer, also if it was a little bit more modern that would help.. but if I went with a more modern home I would definitely get less the land size compared with the one Im tossing up about now.

I'd err towards "picky" - you're going to live there - so make sure you're happy with it.

It's the only time I think you let the heart rule over the head for purchasing a property.

If you're not happy with something to start with, I suspect it will NOT grow on you - but rather the opposite - you'll be wishing you had bought something else (you of course know the absolutely perfect property will pop up at half the price one week after you settle somewhere :D )

The Y-man

When hunting for a PPOR you really need a written list for the "must haves" that are difficult to add on later.

Things such as an en suite, garage under roof with internal access, number of bedrooms, basic size of rooms are difficult/expensive to change.

But always be aware of what you can change relatively easily.
No covered car accommodation? A carport is relatively easy to erect.
Run down kitchen or bathroom - can be renovated later.
Overgrown or bare yard? ditto.

We bought our PPOR 32 years ago. We liked the location, the big rooms, the novelty of an en suite (rare in the late 1970s) and the proximity to services. We had young children and it had only one living area. BUT it had a double garage under roof with internal access. As we are not particularly precious about our cars, we quickly converted that area to a huge family room and erected a double carport for our vehicles (there was sufficient room between the house and the footpath). We hated the bathroom but lived with the hideous tiles for many years until thankfully the shower failed and we renovated, and have since re-done the kitchen which was very dated.

Ignore anything that can be changed and go with the basic "bones" of the property - the location, the area, the general size of the house and land, i.e., the things you cannot change later.

Good luck!
Marg

It's normal to hesitate, and I'm sorry to say that you won't find the one. I'm not being mean, it's like finding a partner where your 'the one' has positives & negatives (more of the former of course ;)).

Have a list of must-have's, nice-to-have's, reno-to-have's etc (I prefer in that order as it lets me save for renos later).

If you absolutely have to have everything to your liking, consider building - but this comes with its own hassles.

Also, depending on where you're at in life, this may only be the first PPOR out of many. If I were you, I wouldn't fuss over a garage or its lighting if the rest of the house is ideal (or close to it) - as long as the car(s) fit :p

Wow thanks for all the helpful responses..

Im thinking if Im too picky then I would never get into the market :eek:
I could safely spend 80k more perhaps on a nicer property, but then Im mindful its my first property and I prefer something a little cheaper for piece of mind *financial security* and give me something to work on for reno'ing into more my vision.

@marg4000, yeah this property has a granny flat at the back I like the novelty of that.. its a small bonus..
It does have a small carport just enough for one car. It has backyard access.
My father built his own house and garage from kit... Im a bit of DIY kind of person.. I was thinking yeah can put a garage down back myself, but thinking hard if there is possibility another property that might be a tad newer with garage already included. I know that I definitely wont get a super large backyard and granny flat in other properties..

@chran, haha your right, I think perhaps never 100% but can get close to it one hopes... if achieving for 100% better off to build ya own.

What phase of life are you in? If you're young, just starting a relationship and/or likely to change jobs, go for the 85% especially if it's affordable. You will survive just fine without a garage or an extra bedroom.

The first home is the one you learn on - you will soon figure out what you want and don't want in life. A big backyard, old house, or three bathrooms starts to suck when you find out you're not really into gardening, DIY or cleaning.

When you've been together a while, got kids on the way, a settled job, and paid down a chunk of your first mortgage, that's the time to look around for the lifetime dream home.

What phase of life are you in? If you're young, just starting a relationship and/or likely to change jobs, go for the 85% especially if it's affordable. You will survive just fine without a garage or an extra bedroom.

The first home is the one you learn on - you will soon figure out what you want and don't want in life. A big backyard, old house, or three bathrooms starts to suck when you find out you're not really into gardening, DIY or cleaning.

When you've been together a while, got kids on the way, a settled job, and paid down a chunk of your first mortgage, that's the time to look around for the lifetime dream home.

Early 30's, living with parents with fiancee that likes to garden. About to settle. I've been taught young to have a mindset of Do It Yourself and not to hire tradesmens *my fathers thinking here*.. Im very handy with my hands from fixing cars to woodwork. Can be a little lazy at times as well.

Well true larger place and large garden means more work, but I do have a hobby of radio controlled helicopters so large backyard is handy for that. :D

But I do see the point of smaller place = less work. Might be nicer feeling to have something a tiny bit more modern by 10 years..

I guess you never know until you give it a go..

Unless you are remarkably lucky, you will NEVER find the perfect house. Just about every house will involve a compromise of some sort.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that within a few months of buying you will come across a better house, or a cheaper price etc. etc.

But don't let this stop you or you will never buy.
Marg

Where it's a PPOR or an investment, there will always be something better later that comes up after you bought. At some point you have to bite the bullet and purchase something that may not be "perfect", but that you are happy with. You can always improve the property later.

Wow, early 30's and still with parents. I think I must have been taught a different "Do It Yourself" mindset to yourself then :p

Where it's a PPOR or an investment, there will always be something better later that comes up after you bought. At some point you have to bite the bullet and purchase something that may not be "perfect", but that you are happy with. You can always improve the property later.

Wow, early 30's and still with parents. I think I must have been taught a different "Do It Yourself" mindset to yourself then :p

True true, always something better ahead.. Yep still at home, saved alot while staying with parents so should have a minimal loan to service that can be quickly paid off for the areas Im look at. (Average Suburbs). Looking back on the past I should have invested in a few small units as soon as I started working but still have no regrets.. Its given me alot of freedom.

Still on the opposite end its true if I had invested earlier I would have alot of financial freedom now just with the hard work up front when younger.

Live and learn :D

Last edited:
Back