Does having Professional photos get a higher return on your investment property?

Does having Professional photos get a higher return on your investment property?

• Yes

Votes: 54 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 14 14.6%

• Total voters
Some people just have a eye for photography. Some don't

Doesn't matter how much money they throw at camera equipment.

I've seen some awesome shots taken by a pro photographer using a point and shoot... and it looks awesome!

As they say, jack of all trades, master of none. I'd rather my PM be good at his job - vetting tenants and sorting the trouble ones out - though if they did the first part exceptionally well, the 2nd part would be non existent.

Of course if you don't stump up for pro photos, you could end up with a marketing "campaign" like this:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bassendean-116594495

Check out the house on google street view and it's not actually horrid.

If that was my house, I wouldn't be accepting a photo from 2007 from RPData.com if it was past 5 days that the agent had been handling my property.
Lazy!

The camera body is not so much as important for photographing properties, rooms, lounges, backyards, etc. It's more about a good quality wide angle lens, good composition and perfect ambient lighting. Flash is not recommended in my opinion. A wide angle lens from about 14mm to 17mm would be perfect.
Definitely agree with the wide angle lens - they are amazing! However I completely disagree with your 'no flash' comment.
Having a removable flash (yes, they are expensive and a pain to carry around) that is angled up at the ceiling will allow you to bounce light and reduces shadows, lightens up the room and furnishings, and gives you more leeway to take photos during different parts of the day. Very handy.

That's what you pay a professional photographer for. Their equipment, knowledge to use it, and post-processing skills (if you're processing hundreds of photos a day...it won't take you long to adjust the levels in your photos whereas an amateur/PM may have to fiddle and spend a lot of time doing it).

I don't think anyone has mentioned the usefulness of a floorplan as well.... some companies offer both professional photography and floor plans. Spend $300 and 2 hours at your property to get it done once, and use both the floorplan and images every time you need to let your property. Very handy!

If that was my house, I wouldn't be accepting a photo from 2007 from RPData.com if it was past 5 days that the agent had been handling my property.
Lazy!
... or smart? The house is under offer already.

I agree with you though... that photo was mega old. And no interior shots? Really?

But then we are both wrong because it sold with that one photo. So, in this example having pro photos would have been a waste of money. That's really high price for that kind of property in that area.

We haven't ever paid for professional photos. We used the photos that were on the original for sale listing and a have added in our own photos or those taken by the property manager. It also depends on whether you are in a high rental demand area but our properties have always rented quickly.

It isn't rocket science.

Who then should be taking photos for entry and exit condition reports and for evidence of damage?

A practical question, I have no oar in the water apart from being an owner who is being squeezed for more and more outgoings.

I recently had an apartment close to Perth CBD reach an end of lease after nearly 5 years with the same tenant.

I did a mini makeover (full paint, carpets, some furnishings and extensive clean) plus had some professional photos done once complete.

For $135 the professional photos were fantastic and made the apartment look bigger, brighter and better than it was. You wouldn't know it was raining and gloomy outside (thank you photoshop!).

With apartment looking its best these same photos will be used for every marketing campaign in the foreseeable future, because property will never look as good when tenants are in transition between exit/entry.

Best $135 I have spent this year.

Hello,
A wide angle lens from about 14mm to 17mm would be perfect.
Point and shoot cameras for 300 bucks are not wide enough for tight rooms, etc.

There is another way to get panoramic shots. YaGoBingle "autostitch" or "photo stitch" for apps than stitch several photos together to make a wide-angle shot. Technique is important so practice and experiment first.

Lighting is important too.

Back