Does high density living gentrify a suburb?

Perhaps if you're owner occupier, it doesn't really matter. But for investment, I want the best possible asset class as possible (i.e. location, scarcity factor, rental yeild, etc)

Having few hundred apartment in the block, when it come to settlement imagine how hard is it to find tenant when 50-60% of the whole building is also advertising for rent. And in term of capital gain, what makes your unit special if there're another 100 room with similar layout in the same building.

Yes, make sense in that way.

plus, I reckon that OTP apartment / units will always comes with higher strata levy and the building track record for repair will not be visible until the developer has declared bankruptcy :confused:

correct me if I'm wrong....

hahahaha this is gold.

It might be gold, but it's only true down to a point. Because the existence of a $2 shop is proof that legitimate businesses can make a living selling 'respectable' merchandise.

As any trip to Frankston will reveal, there's a lot worse things people spend their money on. $2 shops there seem positively virtuous/puritan/middle class compared to the rest. There they're mixed in with payday lenders, pawnbrokers, gun shops, TABs etc (not to mention estate agents and politicians offices)!

hahahaha this is gold.

Well, I'd say it's more about the number of Chinese people in the area :)
look at something with the wood...

Chatswood
Eastwood
Burwood

with the exception of Ashfield and Hurstville ;-)

Those suburbs are expensive now.

Wood is a good material according to Chinese Feng Shui teaching

Collingwood :)

Yes, that's the thing... because according to Chinese Feng Shui teaching, wood is the elment of life which grows from a seed to a larger form.

Hence people wants to be in the "wood" suburb.

Hope that helps.

The University of Western Sydney will make its first forays into Liverpool, unveiling plans for a new campus in the city's centre on Monday.

The proposed UWS Liverpool Higher Education Learning Centre will house up to 150 students, staff and partners and and is expected to open in July next year.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/university-of-western-sydney-unveils-plans-for-new-campus-in-liverpool-20150525-gh8rfd?&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=social&eid=socialn%3Afac-14omn0012-optim-nnn%3Apaid-25%2F06%2F2014-social_traffic-all-postprom-nnn-smh-o&campaign_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_facebook

Collingwood :)

Next is Woodridge? ;)

In Canterbury, higher density does seem to be contributing to gentrification. The rezoning around the river area is getting rid of some of those unattractive boarded up shopfronts and replacing them with with nice looking new apartment buildings, and hopefully the higher number of people within walking distance of the remaining shops will make it more viable to have restaurants etc in them. A decent number of the buyers in Canterbury are wealthy Asians (I know because I'm selling one of the blocks there) with a good mix of owner occupiers & investors, so that helps too. Wealthy owner occupiers don't seem to be attracted in the same way to the existing unit blocks in the area so the new housing is quite a big influence.

In my opinion, gentrification can happen in various ways. It can happen due to a cultural shift, market shifts or it can happen from a policy shift. Take three sydney suburbs which have experienced gentrification as examples:

1. Surry hills- (cultural shift) - used to be lower socio economic composition, lots of social problems- drugs poverty etc but has since become popular with the homosexual, hipster, artistic subcultures.

2. Millers point - (policy shift) - used to be and still has pockets of transient homes, department of housing etc but now slowly lot by lot is being sold off. Even before the sell off the surrounding area has always been premium due to proximity to water. This is also a cultural shift, 100 years ago, people didn't like living near water, water was only for industry due to logistical reasons by shipping.

3. Pyrmont/ultimo - (market+policy shift) - historically, this area was industry, wool stores, refineries etc, they were near the water because these industries needed to ship their goods. Through technological change, shipping was no longer the preferred method of transport and it was cheaper to move these industries elsewhere, these wool stores and other industries became obsolete. The government policy makers identified this and rezoned the entire area for high density development.

Having said that, infrastructure can also gentrify an area, uni, motorways, hospitals etc

To answer the original question, i don't think high density has anything to do with it. Areas don;t become higher density for no reason. They were identified by governments as areas to concentrate densities. You need to identify why these areas were chosen to have higher densities in the first place

Last edited:
Not necessarily, depends on a number of factors demographics,culture,business etc.

Although Liverpool is becoming more dense, council is working to create an eat street (foodie culture), things could look different in a few years.

In my opinion, gentrification can happen in various ways. It can happen due to a cultural shift, market shifts or it can happen from a policy shift. Take three sydney suburbs which have experienced gentrification as examples:

1. Surry hills- (cultural shift) - used to be lower socio economic composition, lots of social problems- drugs poverty etc but has since become popular with the homosexual, hipster, artistic subcultures.

2. Millers point - (policy shift) - used to be and still has pockets of transient homes, department of housing etc but now slowly lot by lot is being sold off. Even before the sell off the surrounding area has always been premium due to proximity to water. This is also a cultural shift, 100 years ago, people didn't like living near water, water was only for industry due to logistical reasons by shipping.

3. Pyrmont/ultimo - (market+policy shift) - historically, this area was industry, wool stores, refineries etc, they were near the water because these industries needed to ship their goods. Through technological change, shipping was no longer the preferred method of transport and it was cheaper to move these industries elsewhere, these wool stores and other industries became obsolete. The government policy makers identified this and rezoned the entire area for high density development.

Having said that, infrastructure can also gentrify an area, uni, motorways, hospitals etc

To answer the original question, i don't think high density has anything to do with it. Areas don;t become higher density for no reason. They were identified by governments as areas to concentrate densities. You need to identify why these areas were chosen to have higher densities in the first place

Thanks MYO3 for the sharing, so it seemsthat for further CG, we should invest in the suburb before the gentrification process started.

Otherwise how can we know about which location to buy from ordinary people perspective ?

Unless you have Council or Local Govt. insider telling you the confirmed next step for the gentrification of a suburbs.

These are some great examples, although it would be fair to say that most areas in the inner ring of Australia capital city CBD's would undergo gentrification over course of the 21st century.

I am really interested in some predictions outside of the 15km ring of the CBD. For example given the increased density in areas such as Parramatta, Blacktown & Liverpool, would some of the surrounding areas start to gentrify. And what about regional country towns.

I work in Parramatta and I feel that it is at the start of this transformation at the moment. The rationale around this is the increased # of pocket cafe's, foodie locales and 'luxury' highrise being built in the area. What about the areas surrounding Parramatta?

I also have a friend in Yass, who feels as though the class of people there are more educated and subsequently antique stores, wineries are popping up in the area.

These are some great examples, although it would be fair to say that most areas close to the Australia capital city CBD's would undergo gentrification over course of the 21st century.

I am really interested in some predictions outside of the 15km ring of the CBD. For example given the increased density in areas such as Parramatta, Blacktown & Liverpool, would some of the surrounding areas start to gentrify.

I work in Parramatta and I feel that it is at the start of this transformation at the moment. The rationale around this is the increased # of pocket cafe's, foodie locales and 'luxury' highrise being built in the area.

What about the areas surrounding Parramatta?

Areas surrounding Parramatta is hot as well.... I bought 2 bed unit in Westmead in March/April... 1 month later, similar unit in the same building sold for 35k more.

Pagewood Green

Hi all

I would be interested in your thoughts on the proposed 3,000 apartment "Pagewood Green" project by Meriton next to Westfield Eastgardens.

This is unprecedented for this area

1. Will it "gentrify" Pagewood & surrounding areas ? Will it become something similar to the area around Mascot Station & Zetland?

2. What would be the effect on investment properties (eg apartments) in nearby suburbs (eg. Botany, Hillsdale, Maroubra, Kingsford etc) in terms of sales price and rents/vacancies? is supply like this bad news?

3.Any other big negatives or positives for the suburb & surround areas, that always occur when big projects like this happen?

4. How much sway/influence does a company (like Meriton) have in lobbying for & getting an extension of the lightrail to Maroubra and then to Pagewood?

Thanks

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...partment-project/story-fniz9vg9-1227315925620

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...site-at-pagewood/story-fngr8h22-1226916320009

Back