Does it mean that we don't pay CGT if it produces income for < 6 years?

You get one PPOR exemption at any time.

If you live in a PPOR (MUST live there first) and move out, so long as you don't claim another property as your PPOR then you can be away from the original PPOR for up to 6 years without losing the CGT exemption.

You can move back in within the 6 year time frame, then move out and start the 6 year exemption again.
Marg

Well if you don't sell you don't pay tax...

As a property becomes cashflow positive due to increased rents over time, buy another one that is slightly negative again, to make sure your taxable income doesn't increase.

If I were to hold the property in my name, any negative cashflow generated from properties can be deductible from my salaries income?

Why do we use a trust + company structure then?

Hi,

You may use a trust to distribute to other family members and pay the least tax that you are legally entitled to.

Never, I repeat Never, buy appreciating assets in a company structure unless you run a business worth over $5,000,000.

If you live in a PPOR (MUST live there first) and move out, so long as you don't claim another property as your PPOR then you can be away from the original PPOR for up to 6 years without losing the CGT exemption.

You can move back in within the 6 year time frame, then move out and start the 6 year exemption again.
Marg

Hi Marg4000,

So what happens if you move away from the original PPOR for greater than 6 years, then you move back into it say in 10 years, can you start another 6 year exemption period again?

Also how long do you have to stay for when you move back? 6 months? 12 months?

Back