Does Melbourne's CBD look underwhelming?

There are constant comparisons between Melb vs Sydney but honestly having grown up in Melb and lived/living in Sydney, I never quite understood why people even bothered to. Melbourne appears much smaller CBD wise and very err boring...

When I work in the Sydney CBD I feel as if it's a bigger city comparable to likes of New York, London, Tokyo (not to that level but at least it feels big). Melbourne's CBD whilst practical seems dead - 95% of the action is happening in Bourke, Swanstons Street and a few lanes and Chinatown.

Does anyone else think Melbourne's CBD is underwhelming?

I live in Melb, but love both cities.

I prefer Melb because of the diversity, volume and quality of amenities for lifestyle.

Went with the wife to see Kitty Flanagan at the Art Centre on Sun night; easy train ride in, had a nice dinner at Southbank, then a great show after.

Could just as easily been the "Pies" at the "G" or Etihad, or the tennis, or the soccer...

And so on.

For me; bigger is not better.

(or did my wife say that?)

I live in Melb, but love both cities.

I prefer Melb because of the diversity, volume and quality of amenities for lifestyle.

Went with the wife to see Kitty Flanagan at the Art Centre on Sun night; easy train ride in, had a nice dinner at Southbank, then a great show after.

Could just as easily been the "Pies" at the "G" or Etihad, or the tennis, or the soccer...

And so on.

For me; bigger is not better.

(or did my wife say that?)

Heh I'm not really talking about practicality or which one is "better" (as each to their own).

It's more the Melbourne atmosphere - no real "take my breathe away" scenic views like a mountain backdrop (think Tokyo, Vancouver) or waterfronts (Sydney, London). It's a boring square with a few lively streets and about it.

Heh I'm not really talking about practicality or which one is "better" (as each to their own).

It's more the Melbourne atmosphere - no real "take my breathe away" scenic views like a mountain backdrop (think Tokyo, Vancouver) or waterfronts (Sydney, London). It's a boring square with a few lively streets and about it.
Yes; have to agree - Sydney views are a winner.

On most streets, there is high quality performance art, artists, singers, music and musicians in Melbourne. Makes Melbourne city cbd very charming for its quirky but high quality performances especially on Thursdays and Fridays. Think of any instrument or any genre of music, it's been played on the streets of Melbourne by buskers. The didgeridoo, drums, violin, trombone, saxophone, trumpet, Chinese er-hu with its haunting strains, name any instrument or any genre of music, a busker has plyed his/her craft on Melbourne streets.

I remember walking on Lygon Street one evening last year to be greeted by the wafting melodies from a classical cello. Drifting over to the source of the cello music, I met and talked to the cellist, a young man from South America, one of the best in his country, on a scholarship program to play with the Melbourne Youth Orchestra. He obliged to play Bach's six cello suites to my delight.

Melbourne's charming cultural atmosphere can belong to anybody and everybody who stops and takes a moment to appreciate it. It becomes a cherished memory, an unforgettable moment to treasure.

There are constant comparisons between Melb vs Sydney but honestly having grown up in Melb and lived/living in Sydney, I never quite understood why people even bothered to. Melbourne appears much smaller CBD wise and very err boring...

When I work in the Sydney CBD I feel as if it's a bigger city comparable to likes of New York, London, Tokyo (not to that level but at least it feels big). Melbourne's CBD whilst practical seems dead - 95% of the action is happening in Bourke, Swanstons Street and a few lanes and Chinatown.

Does anyone else think Melbourne's CBD is underwhelming?

True the comparison is a mute point. Melb is a 'liveable' city. Syd is a global city. Syd is also 40% more expensive than Melb. Syd's strength as a pre-eminent financial center is reflected in its price. Where's the comparison?

I think the bogans from Melbourne suburburbs are more tougher than Sydney ones. I've only diven a few times to Melbs and yeah the cbd is obviously smaller and what are all those wires above the streets? it' a bit scary driving in Melborne with their weird right hand turn rules.

But the bogans down there don't like it when I bag their football and sing out "up there Cazaly"lol

I think the bogans from Melbourne suburburbs are more tougher than Sydney ones. I've only diven a few times to Melbs and yeah the cbd is obviously smaller and what are all those wires above the streets? it' a bit scary driving in Melborne with their weird right hand turn rules.

But the bogans down there don't like it when I bag their football and sing out "up there Cazaly"lol
Bogans think they are tougher than everyone else.

It's their DNA - look at the type of dogs they own, the tatts, hair cuts, attitude, cars they drive....

All class.

Last edited:
True the comparison is a mute point. Melb is a 'liveable' city. Syd is a global city. Syd is also 40% more expensive than Melb. Syd's strength as a pre-eminent financial center is reflected in its price. Where's the comparison?

I'm not sure why a comparison can ever be done when you are comparing Sydney (Alpha +) to a two level below Melbourne (Alpha -) city.

I find the inner suburbs like Carlton, Richmond, Fitzroy, Brunswick akin to Sydney suburbs.

I agree but I also think that's what a lot of people love about Melbourne. You really have to dig a bit deeper to find it's soul.

Back