Does Somersoft need a botox injection?

I adore this site and like it for what it is:D...but i want to put the question out there.

Does somersoft need some physical changes or are we all quite happy.
One addition i crave for is a property acronym wiki of some sort. Sometimes the threads take longer to read then usual because you have to google the long list of Acronyms that flood a thread:confused:

Im doin well with that side now but i can tell ya. i was struggling for about a year just on that alone.

Your thoughts?

update* found the thread for acronyms :) helps if you open your eyes. But is there anything else? maybe a splash of color?

What are you directly talking about buddy.
I have noticed a significant decrease in the number of quality postings by old time members, but then i have accounted for this by two observations:
1) everything is pretty OK at the moment, so the level of debating due to uncertainty has declined (try looking at this forum in late 2008/early 2009).
2) people go people come, as with everything this forum goes through cycles.

i agree. The info is always good. even when its bad... My example is microsoft office. Microsoft sent out a survey before they redesigned it. I believe it was 120,000 people. The question was simliar to the above but asked what features they wanted...

the answer was pretty shocking. I believe the majority(70%? i cant remember) asked for things that already existed in office. The problem was no-one knew it was there 'because of the layout'

almost the largest company in world didnt understand layout. Id love to see an apple like approach to the site. You know...low on fat.high on protein :) ....then again who doesnt

Id love to see an apple like approach to the site. You know...low on fat.high on protein :) ....then again who doesnt

Me. I always feel like the designers at Apple must all be left-handed, or maybe they have some magical third hand that I am not equipped with.

I'd rather no changes were made to SS. Otherwise people that do know where stuff is now, would have to learn the layout all over again.

Us older users hate change of any sort ...:eek:

Im sure we all know the story of the coke brand and its design.

the tiniest changes over the longest time. People have never really cotton on unless its pointed out. Its just way to subtle.

Hows this for example...when people put in the characters for a smiley face the image pops up when it gets posted. :) I think it would be an awesome thing if when people used Acronyms a similar thing would happen when you hovered your mouse over it??? possible???

like DSR. took me awhile to work out what it meant. Now that i know i shouldnt care but id love for newbies to not go through that. Not all newbies are youngins ya know:)

After the backlash from the last changes I don't think it will happen any time soon.

theres backlashs and theres a minority with very loud mouths:mad: :) . Ive noticed this all to often.

It would have to be a crazy makeover to make people wanna leave SS. Its the usual thing with change. Once its done you stop crying and get over it once you realise your resistance to change it silly in hindsight. Hindsight being the key of course.

resistance is futile!!!!:p

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....

Don't forget, some people may be accessing this site on phones, older computers and slower connections, and some may even be accessing SS in libraries or public booths, or even on a 3G wireless connection with a low (and expensive) data quota - but yet, some be reading this material on suped up 64 bit boxes with some huge amount of bandwidth.

You need to cater for the lowest common denominator so that all can get the same experience...

SS works well now.

g

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....

Don't forget, some people may be accessing this site on phones, older computers and slower connections, and some may even be accessing SS in libraries or public booths, or even on a 3G wireless connection with a low (and expensive) data quota - but yet, some be reading this material on suped up 64 bit boxes with some huge amount of bandwidth.

You need to cater for the lowest common denominator so that all can get the same experience...

SS works well now.

g

indeed. Must remember. We live in a world of constant and ever expanding change. SS is not immune to this. In fact since it's in the tech sector so it must change in line with what's new. Or it will die. So its not new an idea I'm flogging here... I guess change is better swallowed when its inevitable...

Thought it mite be something to bring up before then... Stay ahead of the so called game. I see that people can add a facebook button to there handle. Can't tell me that was there before.

So simply some suggestions I guess I'm asking. There will always be room for improvement such as anything life

Last edited:
Hi,

I visit quite a few web forums on various topics, the present layout or program ? is by far the most efficient and sensible on the net in common usage.

Some of the forums are awful, it is so hard to find things, I think this forum works wonderfully well and would be very disappointed if it were to change.

If a new topic needs a new section then just ask the moderators but don't remove any section that is used regularly

It ain't broke, why fix it :)

Hi,

It ain't broke, why fix it :)

To true. No-one is suggesting fixing anything or that anything is broke. I hope people would understand this. Making something better is not fixing. Its simply just that i believe. ..my car was never broken. But that didnt stop me from "adding to it" ....we as investors all know the importance of adding value, correct? why would that not extend to SS?

You can always make something better. Thats fact i believe.

I like SS the way that it is. :)

Although, maybe one idea for the mods. I don't know if the 'welcome' email that people get when they first sign up already includes this; but perhaps a link to a couple of the FAQ threads, and directions towards the search function, could be worth adding to the template? Just a thought.

But hey, reeco, if you don't like the style of this place, you could always go check out Sim's Invested, McKnight's PropertyInvesting or Nathan's B-Invested. They've all got a different look and feel to Somersoft, and I understand that the latter is now adding a lot more of those 'interactive' type features.

Last edited:
Back