Does text message qualify as a reseipt?

Hi all,

Had job done last week on one of the IPs and the handyman sent me a receipt by text message. It includes his name, bank details, amount to be paid, property address and hours put in. Does not include job description though. So can I just print it out and use as a receipt or I need to get paper from him?
Same story with the e-mail. Does it count or not? I mean just the email without docs attached to it?

No it does not.
As nathan said it must quote ABN #.
Also imagine what the ATO would say if they did an audit. Erm what is this?? Anyone could have smsed you that.

...in addition to the business' ABN, if the invoice is for more than $1000, then it must have the name of the customer or their ABN if applicable.
Also, if the invoice includes GST, the words "tax invoice" must be used. If the supplier is not registered for GST the word "invoice" will suffice.

There are other rules for RCTI's as well but can't remember them:p

Boods

It also needs ABN#

Picked up some pies and pasties at the bakery for work the other day as we had a meeting on, I asked for a tax receipt so i could get reimbursed from work and could only get a general receipt, No ABN, or anything else...just figures

On that note, I picked up some milk at a local deli the other day, they couldn't give me a tax receipt either other than a till receipt with some figures on it, on another occasion there they had coins sitting on top of the till and gave me change from that, no interaction with the till. A suspicious mind may think they would be writing of some of that milk stock as going out of date and spoiled, a paranoid mind may think these things are just tip of the iceberg :D

funny.

i had a bloke out to quot eon building a brick wall for me.

he asked "if i was paying cash".

i said, "your fee is your fee. what you do with it after i give it to you is none of my business. if your payment terms are cash, then so be it."

the cashies are alive and well.

To me it is unclear if he used SMS to send you a reciept for payment, or just the info so you could make payment transfer to his account?

Regardless, call him and ask for a "Tax Invoice" once you have paid.

To me it is unclear if he used SMS to send you a reciept for payment, or just the info so you could make payment transfer to his account?

Regardless, call him and ask for a "Tax Invoice" once you have paid.

I wouldn't pay prior to receiving the Tax Invoice.

Back