... does that make me cocky?

My main attraction for being here is the fact that I know almost no-one who is an active investor.

Therefore, I know when I come here that I can talk about useless cr@p (and I am the king as you all know), but if the mood grabs me, I can talk property and other things about investing.

It's a good mix for me....friendless that I am. :D

My main attraction for being here is the fact that I know almost no-one who is an active investor.

Therefore, I know when I come here that I can talk about useless cr@p (and I am the king as you all know), but if the mood grabs me, I can talk property and other things about investing.

It's a good mix for me....friendless that I am. :D

You must talk really good useless cr@p though, you've got lots of bright green squares beside your name!

A bit off topic but.. the first time I wrote a question on a property investing forum was about 6 years ago, I got a reply from LA Aussie and Dazzling. The question, and the answers really stick in my head. They got me thinking, experimenting, and were as good as reading the best property investing books I've read. Thanks guys! You are a huge inspiration, in your different ways. :)

BC, re your original question. I think there's a lot of truth in the saying "you never really know something until you can teach it". I think it is too easy to delude ourselves we know more than we do. Three or four coincident investment decisions re resi property doesn't amount to a lot of investment knowhow.....not that I think that's all you've done.....But I've met a lot of people who've grown their net worth by 600-800k via property, without understanding the forces that drove growth.

The REAs are the worst. Met one the other weekend, ex builder he told me.....driving a black Benz no more than 2 year old. As cocky as they get. We got talking about building and turns out he was just a laborer. :rolleyes:

Anyways, getting back to self delusion....devil is in the deail.....re property, when you can do a back of envelope for most dev't sites in Perth, then I reckon you'd really know something.

And when you know a few of the games commercial tenants, PMs, and solicitors play to offload risk onto the LL....and when to deal with it aggressively or defensively, then I reckon that's knowing something.

When you can scan the morning papers for no more than 10 minutes, and the stock market for same, then determine whether to reverse a $500k position on several stocks, then that's knowing something.

When you have found the biggest p**#$k lawyer in town, to fight your unwinables, and have a win and a loss, then that's going to have taught you something.

But eventually, you have to put the books down and get out there and talk talk talk, then walk walk walk.....The learning curve is 5x steeper than any book, or this forum. Because ultimately, books and the forum don't train you to stand in front of a bloke on the other side, and get more of your way.

Have I attained all this? nope.....but have seen guys achieve various bits.

I ask myself a question I know many others ask too: Why am I here? It's impossible to settle anything on SS, and If you think you may have arrived at some sort of consensus or even agreeing to disagree on a topic the peace only lasts a week and a new player jumps back in and stirs the same old pot.

I don't pick up much that's useful now.

thats because THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER TO THE QUESTION.
Theres no blue pill or green pill two choice answer:D

Guys i will say one thing,
to those of you that are complaining that this forum is getting stale, pull your fingers out.

Think for a moment, some topics might be getting stale for YOU because you have already journeyed through that stage of your investment life, for others on this forum its all new, and now maybe its time for you to pass on some of your wisdom to the newer players.

Secondly you might be reaching the dangerous time of your investing journey.
You know the basic rules, you have seen the evidence, but do you have the ENDURANCE to continue.

Thirdly, maybe we shouldnt be complaining about fatigue. Fatigue sometimes means everything is A-OK. Trust me investing has cycles, property will also have its time in the sun as a 'difficult' investment asset, and its then that you probably will whish you were just 'fatigued' and secondly, will appreciate this forum to bounce ideas that will be NEW to you.

Rome wasnt built in a day, and neither will your investment nest egg.

Just my 2c

to those of you that are complaining that this forum is getting stale, pull your fingers out.

This is a good point. There are an awful lot of experienced investors here and I'm sure we have only heard a small fraction of their stories... and it's the real world nitty gritty stuff by real investors that is where the real value of this forum has been for me. Stuff with the numbers, the emotions, the actions, the strategies, the lows and the highs. Where we got lucky or just lucked out. Let's hear it all! Right now we don't seem to be overrun by blow-in D&Gers so it's a good time to share... :)

By the way, that sentence of IV's can also be applied to one's investing. Easy to get bored just sitting back not doing anything while you wait for the portfolio to grow but while you're doing that no doubt there are lots of opportunities out there going begging...

Think for a moment, some topics might be getting stale for YOU because you have already journeyed through that stage of your investment life, for others on this forum its all new, and now maybe its time for you to pass on some of your wisdom to the newer players.

Secondly you might be reaching the dangerous time of your investing journey.
You know the basic rules, you have seen the evidence, but do you have the ENDURANCE to continue.

Thirdly, maybe we shouldnt be complaining about fatigue. Fatigue sometimes means everything is A-OK. Trust me investing has cycles, property will also have its time in the sun as a 'difficult' investment asset, and its then that you probably will whish you were just 'fatigued' and secondly, will appreciate this forum to bounce ideas that will be NEW to you.

Rome wasnt built in a day, and neither will your investment nest egg.

Just my 2c

This is a good point. There are an awful lot of experienced investors here and I'm sure we have only heard a small fraction of their stories... and it's the real world nitty gritty stuff by real investors that is where the real value of this forum has been for me. Stuff with the numbers, the emotions, the actions, the strategies, the lows and the highs. Where we got lucky or just lucked out. Let's hear it all! Right now we don't seem to be overrun by blow-in D&Gers so it's a good time to share... :)

By the way, that sentence of IV's can also be applied to one's investing. Easy to get bored just sitting back not doing anything while you wait for the portfolio to grow but while you're doing that no doubt there are lots of opportunities out there going begging...

Good points. You've got me thinking...and reassesing where I'm at, and want to go to from here.

Could you get a site rezoned for an extra 25%+ resi density for moi BC? :)

you'd need to lobby council to want to amend the struture plan / local area plan and have solid justification for such.

then your state planning body will need 6-12m to amend it.

in WA, i can get an extra 5% reasonably easy, well - anyone can really.

Back