Does the CBA have a heart or ????

Does the CBA have a heart or just covering its outlays???

I say the latter!

Since when has any Australian bank had a heart or a heartbeat last 25 years when it comes to borrowers?

The CBA must feel that things are going to get very tough to release a statement like this below:

Will the others follow?

One thing is for certain this will only help keep the market house prices proped up...........unfortunately for a little longer.

The CBA doesnt give a flying toss about its borrowers..They are just interested in ensuring loans are serviced in some capacity and can keep their investors happy.

I guess its a smart business ploy if nothing else and now a very good reason to put to the Govt a valid excuse for not passing along any further full rate cuts!

Which Bank? The shareholders Bank!

Courtesy of the Australian:

HOME owners who lose their jobs will be thrown a lifeline by the nation's biggest mortgage lender, which yesterday announced interest deferrals of up to 12 months to stop customers falling into arrears and triggering a wave of forced sales.

The Commonwealth Bank initiative, announced by chief executive Ralph Norris at a business lunch in Melbourne, follows recent discussions between Wayne Swan and the major banks about measures to assist families hit by the global recession.

With CBA itself predicting last month that the jobless rate could blow out from its current level of 5.2 per cent to a peak of 7 per cent late next year, Mr Norris said that it was not in the bank's interest to see people "get into trouble".

"In the case of those unfortunate to be unemployed, we will provide repayment holidays for six months, and in some circumstances up to 12 months, with interest being capitalised," he said. Mortgage holders will ultimately have to pay the deferred payments, plus interest.

Mr Norris added that he could not rule out job losses at CBA because of deteriorating economic conditions.

Senior banking industry sources said yesterday there had been strong pressure from Canberra in recent weeks to develop hardship packages for customers who fall behind in their home-loan repayments.

While the Treasurer has had discussions with the banks about measures to assist families experiencing hardship, a CBA spokesman denied the bank had responded to pressure from Canberra.

"This initiative has been under consideration since January," he said.

The Government's hand in its dealings with the Big Four banks has been strengthened by the introduction of last October's deposit and wholesale funding guarantees, which have helped stabilise the financial system.

Since then, the Government has intensified pressure to pass on cuts in official interest rates to customers, as well as keep credit flowing to small and medium-sized businesses.

In the meantime, the funding guarantee has enabled the banks to raise $60 billion in offshore debt markets for on-lending to their customers, at a time when investor appetite for non-government guaranteed debt has evaporated as a result of a wave of bank failures.

The major banks, however, have had to pay the federal Government more than $400 million in fees to rent its AAA sovereign debt rating.

Asked by The Australian yesterday if the guarantees had given the Government a mandate to bash the banks at will, Mr Norris said: "I don't think the Government needs to bash the banks at any time."

The CBA chief said the deposit guarantee had been put in place to stabilise the banking system.

The major banks, he said, had not needed a deposit guarantee.

Furthermore, unlike the billions spent offshore to prop up banks and banking systems, domestic lenders had not received a single taxpayer dollar.
"And I don't think any dollars of taxpayer money will be used," Mr Norris said.

"Likewise with the wholesale guarantee, the banks are actually paying for the guarantee, and it's hard, again, to see the Government having to front up taxpayer dollars to honour those guarantees."

Housing Industry Association chief executive Chris Lamont praised the initiative.

"I think it will provide a welcome safety net for Australian families and Australians who may do it tough over the next 12 to 18 months," he said.

But one banker warned yesterday that capitalising home loan interest payments for the newly unemployed could actually lead to a worse outcome if the borrower was unable to find a job.

Christopher Zinn, a spokesman for consumer association Choice, was also cautious.

"Increased flexibility will help, and for some people it will work," he said.

"But given the circumstances, people will need to make realistic decisions."

While all the major banks have assistance options for customers, CBA is the first to specifically respond to circumstances created by the financial crisis.

ANZ chief executive Australia Brian Hartzer said hardship options included "short-term repayment holidays where interest is capitalised".

"We have clear policies on supporting customers facing hardship and are continuing to look at ways we can expand those," he said.

A National Australia Bank spokesman pointed to similar policies for customers experiencing changed circumstances, including job losses.

A spokesman for Westpac said the bank already offered deferred payments for customers experiencing hardship if it was "in their interests".

"We look at this issue on a case-by-case basis," he said.

Consumer Credit Legal Service co-ordinator Karen Cox said it was "absolutely vital" that banks were willing to be flexible about hardship arrangements in the current economic climate.

"I think the flexibility is fantastic," Ms Cox said.

"We've been lobbying for improvements in the law for exactly that reason."

But she warned that consumers needed to be aware that because the interest was capitalised, they could reach a situation where they owed more than the house was worth.

"As with anything there are consequences, and here the danger is negative equity, especially where property prices are falling," she said. "So people do need to get advice."

Does the CBA have a heart or just covering its outlays???

I say the latter!
So what announcement could the CBA have possibly made that would please you? :confused:

I think this makes sense from a business perspective, and will help a lot of families. It's great when the interests of business and customers coincide. :)

I have a friend in the UK who took advantage of a "mortgage holiday" recently during a period of unemployment. He's 50 and would otherwise have lost his home; the 6-month break has given him breathing space. He worked for "almost nothing" at a supermarket for several months, which really only paid enough for fuel and food, and thankfully just recently (about 6 weeks to go before his 6 months is up) has found another "real" job which will get him back on track. So I've seen the benefits of such a scheme, and in fact had commented to him "what a shame I've not heard of such a scheme here in Australia".

Great move, CBA!

My guess is all they will be doing is adding the interest not paid now onto the existing loan which will need to be paid later - capitalising the interest.

This is fine as long as they don't reset the repayments to fit into the existing loan term.

But, I'll bet they will do this, which means those people who take up the offer will be confronted with higher repayments when their "mortgage holiday" ends.

It will basically be an A.R.M loan at this point.

As history has shown, most people have not handled this idea very well. It will be putting off the inevitable for many unfortunately.

Now, if they were to re-adjust the loan TERM as well when the "holiday" ends so that the repayments stayed the same as they would be if their customers were servicing the loan normally, then this would be a good thing.

i think this is a fabulous thing!

My mum recently lost her job, and immediately contacted the bank (westpac iirc) to see what they could do to avoid losing the house they had purchased just 9 months earlier. The bank gave her a 3 month "holiday" as per above... whilst she ran around looking for a new job - which she found 2 months later.

Without this loan holiday, she wouldve lost her home. And AFAIK, the loan repayments have not been reset at a new higher amount. They're the same as before.

So what announcement could the CBA have possibly made that would please you? :confused:

I'd be happy to see the CBA delist from the ASX, now that would please me no end :)))..........The CBA use to be a great bank when I was young...nowdays it is far from that, poor service, short staffed, ripoff fees and driven by shareholders interests like the other majors...it hasnt been a 'peoples" bank for many years as they are trying to portray in the above news release....

If you get down to the real inners of this release you will find it may not be beneficial to many loan holders..........its well and truely in the banks favour.....sure it looks good at first glance but in real terms it could cost the borrower big time at a later date...

Smoke and mirrors in my opinion favouring the CBA...yet again.

..........The CBA use to be a great bank when I was young...nowdays it is far from that, poor service, short staffed, ripoff fees ..........

On the theme of being short staffed, they could have one extra staff member on, if the porter(s) they have ushering you in at most branches got behind the counter and did some actual work. ;)

I consider the smiles and greetings as "in your face overkill" that does not hasten one's transactions. There is a difference between being polite and friendly and being familiar. I find the latter does not hasten service in a high turnover/transaction environment.

Most branches these days, you walk in knowing full well where you are heading to transact and you are then interrupted by a heartflet greeting :rolleyes: and then asking you if you need assistance, whilst another customer walks past you and beats you to the line

..........rant over :(

I think some of you are missing the point. This move just gives the mortgage holder more options.

If they choose to, they can decline the mortgage holiday and continue on as they see fit. This just gives them the opportunity of not being placed under extra pressure while they try and find a new job if they so choose.

Of course the interest will get tacked onto the loan and payments and balances will be adjusted accordingly. The statement didn't say they were going to waive your interest and give you free money for a 6-12 months did it?

But then again for some people it doesn't matter what a bank does - everything they do is evil right? :rolleyes:

PS Player - the people greeting you are just CSS's who don't have a client to deal with at that moment. If someone they greet needs help, they take them to the enquiries counter and serve them, then no greeter for a few mins. Just something they do which they believe offers better customer service than if they're not busy to just stand behind the counter talking to each other. I just ignore them or say 'hi' as I walk straight past them.

A few things:
1. The bank is a business there for the benefit of its shareholders
2. The bank does not want to repossess a bunch of houses that it has to take to auction. It just wants its usury (interest) - in reality it does not even want its loan principal back because it has to go find another customer to lend it to again.
3. If the Australian Taxpayers (via the Govt.) are guaranteeing deposits, they damnwell better do some good stuff back to their customers because they only stay in business because of their customers' goodwill.
4. You can bet they did not come up with this idea on their own - I have a feeling that some deals are being done behind the scenes - and I have no issues with that either:D

poor service, short staffed, ripoff fees and driven by shareholders interests like the other majors
Just the same as any other bank!

The best bit with banks is the staff, if you are lucky enough to find a good person to deal with go for it. If you get stuck with a DH that can really make your banking hell. It all comes down to the people, like any large org there are ways to get around things, good people can assist you so that both you and the bank profit, crap people will just sit on their hands and say "creidt won't do that", "bank policy doesn't let us do that", "your rent dependant", etc.

And of course they are working for the shareholders, that is what the guy at the top should be doing. If you don't like the current bank you deal with move. It's taken us 2 years to shift banks but looks like we will be able to move over to CBA from WBC. In 5 years we will probably have to move again. That's just the way things work.

Have a moan about it, whinge about it, but understand it and use it to your advantage, once you know how why what, you should be able to work around the system and not get screwed too badly.

The capitalising interest and not foreclosing is just business sense, better to miss a bit of short term interest than to end up with a lot of houses that you will have to sell cheap.

Regards
Graeme

Used wisely, repayment holidays can be a good thing.

Daughter had a couple of thousand on the credit card outstanding, nothing major. Debt did not go up, did not go down as they were basically paying as they went, but still interest on the outstanding amount therefore no interest free period etc. They went to the bank and arranged to "skip" one month's mortgage payment. Made a huge effort that month and paid off the pesky card.

They are now back on track, use the card wisely (lesson learned) and pay off the card each month.

This was quite a few years ago, so the tiny bit of capitalised interest has paid them back a hundred-fold.
Marg

Sounds like a win-win-win to me.

Home owner has a buffer....

....bank doesn't have to foreclose....

and property market has fewer mortgagee sales.

..... and csc is a self confessed pot-stirrer..... :rolleyes:

This just gives them the opportunity of not being placed under extra pressure while they try and find a new job if they so choose.
I agree. I think it's win-win; there's no down-side. (Or even win-win-win, as keithj correctly highlights.)
And of course they are working for the shareholders, that is what the guy at the top should be doing.
Yep. The same people who whine about banks or other corporations making profit seem to often be the same people who want their superannuation to perform well. Who owns the big corporations? By and large, WE DO, through our superannuation. It amazes me how many people fail to appreciate that.

i think it is good of them to do so! if 2000 people lost their jobs and the banks forclosed on 2000 homes their will be no value in the homes as they go for fire sale prices and those banks may find their equity buffer is not enough to cover the loss?
The banks loose customers and make great losses too, no winners there!
But if they give people a chance to recover they keep the LVR higher and create a better customer/bank relationship portfolio.

..... and csc is a self confessed pot-stirrer..... :rolleyes:

you got that in one..but its a serious subject all the same to discuss but i always like to dangle carrots out to see who catches the bait!..

im always very guarded when it comes to banks.....havn't borrowed from them for many years but chances are i will over the next two years now im pretty much all cashed up on the sidelines again...time to start investing for my kids future...next two years will be the best opportunity that any investor has had in quite awhile i feel with r/e and quality shares...

yes i think cba have done the right thing. i hope other banks follow.it makes sense business wise to reduce the chance of people losing their homes.

did anyone see the sbs insight prog thats night?
truly tragic to see and hear from people who have lost their jobs and now face losing more. plus the related social problems that potentially may follow.
regards

I'd be happy to see the CBA delist from the ASX, now that would please me no end :)))..........The CBA use to be a great bank when I was young...nowdays it is far from that, poor service, short staffed, ripoff fees and driven by shareholders interests like the other majors...it hasnt been a 'peoples" bank for many years as they are trying to portray in the above news release....

If you get down to the real inners of this release you will find it may not be beneficial to many loan holders..........its well and truely in the banks favour.....sure it looks good at first glance but in real terms it could cost the borrower big time at a later date...

Smoke and mirrors in my opinion favouring the CBA...yet again.

Now if you were living in US or the UK you might have your wish fulfilled.

1) Northern Rock had a run on the bank and was nationalised
2) Bear sterns, Meriyl lynch went bust
3) Citigroup, Fannie mae and Freddi mac, AIG have to be bailed out using tax payers money.
4) R/E prices have crashed significantly both in US and UK

So, be glad that your largest mortgage lender is not in trouble. Coz, if it was then be prepared to face the consequences it would bring to the rest of the country.

Think carefully before what you wish for :)

Cheers,
Oracle.

Think carefully before what you wish for :)

Cheers,
Oracle.

if a ticker delists from the asx doesnt necessarily mean its in trouble you know..i made no assumptions of hoping the cba goes bust, in fact im confident it isnt (so kevie tells me).........im merely pointing out that since its listing the cba has gone to ***** in regards to service .......and thats not going to improve while its so driven by chasing shareholder value on the asx........it use to be value for cba passbook holders with service and top dealings...thats long gone! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But... you have people lose their jobs and whinge about it - and at the same time they could have taken out insurance for what - $100 a month? which would save them a few headaches and keep the repayments up to speed and alleviate a few issues. Amazing how people'll pay a mortgage but wont cought up to insure themselves.

I could understand it if you're struggling and fully employed at 9% rates but not now with current rate drops.

But... you have people lose their jobs and whinge about it - and at the same time they could have taken out insurance for what - $100 a month? which would save them a few headaches and keep the repayments up to speed and alleviate a few issues. Amazing how people'll pay a mortgage but wont cought up to insure themselves.

I could understand it if you're struggling and fully employed at 9% rates but not now with current rate drops.

good call spot on!

But... you have people lose their jobs and whinge about it - and at the same time they could have taken out insurance for what - $100 a month?
Who insures you against unemployment? I thought you could only insure against illness and injury. :confused:

(I know Comminsure provides some very limited cover (only 3 months of payments, and only on Commbank loans), but I thought that the vast majority of income protection policies don't provide any unemployment cover.)

Back