Does the painter I hire need to have insurance?

hi guys

I'm looking to hire a painter to paint the inside of a house, and also someone to cement render the outside.

It's an IP and I have EBM RentCover Ultra Insurance which provides third party liability cover.

Would you insist on a painter who carries his own insurance or is it not that necessary?

Tenants have vacated so noone is living there. I'll be the only one on the premises during the paint job. So I'll try to be careful around him and not get injured somehow during the course of his works.

If he hurts himself and sues me, it will be a third party liability claim under my EBM policy.

Or would you always insist on the painter showing proof of insurance before starting work.

Thanks in advance!

I have a painting company. I would never EVER undertake a job for myself or anyone else without insurance.

Even with only good intentions, things can go wrong. I learnt that from one of my mentors, and he backed up the lesson with some shockers. End of the day I am not the only person involved, I could have a labourer who is having a bad day.

One thing is liability insurance, but what about if the painter accidently spills a bucket of paint on your new hand woven Persian carpets?

Back