Does this breach the building code for safety

We had a tenant who removed the standard bedroom door lock and replaced it with a keyed deadlock. The original bedroom door lock had one of those locks that you just flick over to lock it but it can be opened with a coin or a screwdriver if someone locked themselves inside and you needed access. The replacement meant that if the person inside choose to lock it from the inside there was no access to that room. I wonder if we would have been held responsible if somone locked themselves inside and emergency services couldn't get into the room in time.

The switch wasn't picked up by the PM, or by us for that matter either. It was easy to miss because it just looked like a normal door handle. It was only after they left that we realised what they had done. They didn't leave the key so we had to replace the lock. I guess we were lucky they didn't leave it in a locked position.

Dunno if its legal or not.

The Upside I can tell u it would take 3 seconds for that door to come down if the firies needed to get in, deadlock or not

ta
rolf

Having just been locked in my daughter's room by the toddler, I can say its a bad idea to have locking doors that can get you stuck inside. This is just a flick lock too, a 'privacy latch'.

Yes, we have a lock on the *outside* of The Child's door. It used to be on the inside but she kept locking herself inside when she had a snit so we reversed it to stop her locking us out ... it looks really bad now lol

Having just been locked in my daughter's room by the toddler, I can say its a bad idea to have locking doors that can get you stuck inside. This is just a flick lock too, a 'privacy latch'.

Yes, we have a lock on the *outside* of The Child's door. It used to be on the inside but she kept locking herself inside when she had a snit so we reversed it to stop her locking us out ... it looks really bad now lol

what would look really bad is the two strap bolts, top and bottom, just to make sure she cant get out!!:D

A friend of mine bought a house that had this setup on one of the kids bedrooms...very creepy:eek:

Boods

Must be the day for it!
Just went to inspect a property as tenants have just vacated. Same thing found. I took the new tenant through and her little boy locked himself in the bedroom.
It seems ex tenants boss installed the lock to protect sensitive work related info stored in that room which was used as an office.
I will be requesting it is removed.

Strap bolts top and bottom :eek: Village of the Damned?

Actually the deadbolt was on the main bedroom so I guess the parents really wanted privacy.

i don't think it breakes any building standards, but it seems very un safe to do somthing like this , but as willair already mentioned you could give it a big wack and be in in a moment.

When we bought our present PPOR back in the seventies it had door handles on every door that had no external way of entering if the button on the inside was pushed in. Apparently they were called "patio locks" and were never designed for internal use.

As we had a young child (only one at that time!!)and as a stopgap measure, hubby drilled out the innards and removed the locking button. In time we replaced them.
Marg

Actually Marg4000, that was the kind of lock I was talking about. My OH pointed out I made a mistake when I said deadlock. He reckoned a deadlock wouldn't have been quite as bad because you have to actually use a key to lock it. This one just had that push in button and he almost locked himself out of the room by mistake when he went to shut the door with the button pushed in. He noticed it just in time. Otherwise he would have had to damage the door to get back in because all the windows were closed. He was up there doing a bit of maintenance between tenants.

Back