Does your REA give gifts on purchase or sale?

Just wondering if anybody else has received a gift from their REA on purchase or sale??

All our purchases in NSW were made through only 2 REAs. We received a bottle of bubbly on our first or second purchase (can't remember and they were close together) it was also very close to Christmas. Purchased another 3 through them but no more pressies, although when the vendor on one property refused to clean the carpets the REA had them done for us.

First purchase in Qld I was pretty gobbsmacked when picking up the keys, a HUGE box of chocolates (we polished them off pretty quick too:D ), a good drop of vino, and a month's newspaper subscription. Very happy!

Next purchase we received a massive hamper - very very nice, full of fancy smancy stuff!!

Our next purchase is again in NSW so I expect no pressies, but as we are now selling most of our NSW IPs, wondering (aloud) if we get pressies when we sell!! Maybe I will put on the selling contract "3% of sale price plus presents to value of $...":D

Anybody received anything??

Yes,

On purchases (we don't sell)

Bottle of nice RED with the RE's label on it - no harm in senseless self promotion.

Plus every year on the anniversary of settlement a Congratulations card in the post. (This year they slipped up and sent one on the the exchange of contracts anniversary as well)

Others have given gold plated key ring holders (LJ Hooker)

Aimy

Last edited:
As a vendor I got a bottle of Moet from Marshall White, not bad for $20k ;)

As a purchaser I've gotten nothing or a crappy key ring. :(

When we purchased in Adelaide in 1977, we received a bunch of flowers from the REA - but many subsequent purchases and sales have been bereft of pressies!

Cheers
LynnH

Not a sausage.....I probably wouldn't appreciate it anyway, those things just get in the way and cloud the issues as you work through getting rid of the clauses in the contract.

Never had a present :(

Friends of mine were left a 'survival kit' in their PPOR by the REA when they bought their house. It was a little plastic box with assorted stuff most of which I can't remember, but it included a torch, roll of toilet paper, and matches amongst other things. Not expensive, but made them feel a bit special :)

Hang on, I tell a lie. The guy we bought our first 3 houses with, presented us with something his father hand-made, an intricate "Noah's Ark" 3D jigsaw puzzle which was very nice.

Subsequently we used him to sell the houses, (I guess the marketing worked a treat), to which he subsequently ripped us off about $ 1,250.00 during that process, so she was an expensive gift.

During the argy-bargy over the $ 1,250.00, unbelievably the issue of the gift came up, and I kicked myself for accepting it 3 years previously. He obviously hadn't forgotten it !!!

We haven't accept gifts since.

a big hamper for the one purchased late last year , bottle of red with 2 glasses ( with the REA name on them ) , chocs , olives , all sorts of things , but nothing with the other one thru different REA

guess it just depends on the individual branch

One bottle of red on purchase, one nice hamper on construction of a H&L package home, 2 x nada on other purchases.

In another life we would give a bottle of white wine to the vendor upon listing, a new purchaser would receive a survival hamper when they picked up the keys and landlords would receive a street directory every christmas.

Absolutely nothing, and one REA from Century 21 was so rude when we asked where our $3 bottle of bubbles was that we vowed never to use her again, and have purchased several houses in the area since, and she knows it.

This was after Bloss had typed up the contract for her as well, as this REA couldnt figure out how to do it.

Thinking again, LJ Hooker posted me a cheap plasticy document folder with their logo on it a month after sale.

Woo Hoo

Dave

Last house that settle couple of weeks ago we got 6 crownies in a cooler.

But I dont drink, but a good friend fixed that problem up for me.

Have recieved several gifts over the years nothing major.

Cheers

usually get something - ranging from the last purchase settling last week, a bottle of bubbly and box of choc's, right thru to a full hamper.

oh, mortgage broker also always sends a bottle of something nice when we have a property purchase settle.

getting quite a collection of vino in the cupboard now ...

depending on the property and the circumstances of the sale - we will give a bottle of DECENT bubbly and flowers/chocolates to both the seller and buyer...will often go further too if its warranted...often give movie vouchers and a pack of vouchers from local businesses, bus/train timetables and general area info stuff as well.

repeat clients we really look after with hampers etc...and /or things that we know they like from our dealings over time.

cheers
UC:D

one agent gave us a blue LED keyring light and a fridge magnet with their logo on it... supposedly an "upmarket" agency as well - needless to say I didn't bother to complete the customer satisfaction survey that was included :p

My 1yo daughter enjoys the keyring though.

The agent I prefer to buy from works for a very large agency and always sends a large basket of flowers and a bottle of bubbly on the day of settlement. Never a problem to also get him to send one to the current tenants of the property we buy... a thank you for allowing us access to view the property.

He will probably sell his 1000th property in the next year or two... averages 100-150 sales a year so he must be doing something right :cool:

oh, mortgage broker also always sends a bottle of something nice when we have a property purchase settle.

I've definately used the wrong MB's - have used 3 in the past - Zip, Narda - not even a Chrissy card.

repeat clients we really look after with hampers etc...and /or things that we know they like from our dealings over time.UC:D

I reckon you do well UC. A little goes a long way...

Uh oh, many years ago I was in Harrods waiting to get served and the counter was surrounded by wealthy Arab women demanding presents with their purchase "You give me present", "You give me more present" they were demanding, very loudly. Presents they got, samples etc thrown in with their purchases.

At the time I was a bit shocked (of course being young, niave (SIC) and all that;) ) and thought it was a bit rude and greedy ... NOW I understand...

Sunshine

Back