Dog flavour

The 'survivalist' lore is that when the economic collapse arrives and we're all starving in the streets, to avoid cats and rats as food - chance of illness too high. Dog is OK. Personally meat is meat so if you can eat unborn lamb you can eat dog.

Interesting aside - 'Mother and Child Reunion' by Paul Simon, was apparently inspired by the Chinese dish of eggs and chicken. Now that is a particularly gruesome name for a dish isn't it. Puts eggs and chicken together into a different mental framework! Vegetarian anyone?

The 'survivalist' lore is that when the economic collapse arrives and we're all starving in the streets, to avoid cats and rats as food - chance of illness too high. Dog is OK. Personally meat is meat so if you can eat unborn lamb you can eat dog.

Interesting aside - 'Mother and Child Reunion' by Paul Simon, was apparently inspired by the Chinese dish of eggs and chicken. Now that is a particularly gruesome name for a dish isn't it. Puts eggs and chicken together into a different mental framework! Vegetarian anyone?

Who eats unborn lamb? Where can I get it from?

Last nights take-out :)

No, no - he's our fur child....and we would never eat him....too bloody expensive.

iPhonePics162.jpg

Unborn lamb, spitted and braised over an open fire, is a nomadic delicacy, called by Russians Shashlik, by Armenians Shlsh-Kebab. The dish served openly by U. S. Russian and Armenian restaurateurs is of lamb several days old, comparatively tough chewing

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,738237,00.html#ixzz0btOtrXPu

Though for the truly adventurous Chinese cuisine apparently has recipes for just about every bit of every creature on earth - and some innanimate objects too. Bird's Nest soup anyone?

I'm glad someone mentioned the cruelty involved with dog/cat meat.

Also,take the time to think about how that dog lived and what it ate before you ate it. Most people worm and vaccinate their dogs here in Australia and so never really see what happens when worms or parvo virus get passed around. Let's just say, it's far from 'yummy'. :(

Aside from all the other reasons mentioned, this is why I would never eat dog or cat. There is a good possibility that the poor dog suffered from some form of parasite. Zoonosis, anyone?

now i really really feel sick - even tho i had mushroom soup for lunch (no meat).

Ugh Lizzie, I've got to say just the smell of mushrooms makes me feel sick.

I've never had dog :eek: I appparently caught rabbies in primary school when a girl touched me, so don't worry ianvestor, it's not that bad. The treatment of many chickens, cows, and sheep that many of us eat isn't always as nice as it should be either.

I bet i'd give dog a go if the situation presented itself and things looked good :D

cool stuff i've had includes:

sheeps brain with onion - was really nice until i thought about what i was eating and had to spit the last mouthfull out :mad: Goes down easier for me than muscles or oysters though.
ostrich - nice, alot like lamb but not as rich of a taste, sort of halfway between lamb and veal.
jellyfish with seaweed - love it - seaweed is like a nice sweet spinach, and jellyfish tastes like fish flavoured jelly - who would have guessed :confused:
breastmilk - tastes like sweet milk, and it's nice when it's body temperature, but drinking a bit of leftover from a baby bottle at room temperature isn't very nice.

Ianvestor, I know exactly where you are coming from having spent the more than 10 years between Korea and Japan. The area of Japan I'm in is well known for raw horse, raw deer and raw chicken. I can still remember the first time I ate whale and dolphin not by choice and then drank the blood of turtle(by choice). For me the strangest thing to eat was live octopus and trying to swallow before the tentacles could sucker on the tongue and inside of the mouth.

andrew,

raw chicken actually taste very similar to some raw fish. one thing about living overseas is that quite a few of the things we are raised up to believe and told not to do are done every day in other countries with no problems.

Unborn lamb, spitted and braised over an open fire, is a nomadic delicacy, called by Russians Shashlik, by Armenians Shlsh-Kebab. The dish served openly by U. S. Russian and Armenian restaurateurs is of lamb several days old, comparatively tough chewing

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,738237,00.html#ixzz0btOtrXPu

Though for the truly adventurous Chinese cuisine apparently has recipes for just about every bit of every creature on earth - and some innanimate objects too. Bird's Nest soup anyone?

Being a Russian myself, I can tell you right now that article is an absolute garbage.

First of all I cant stomach veal let alone "unborn lamb".

Shashlik that I ate in ex Soviet Union and Russia was made out of marinated lamb, Ive never even heard of "unborn lamb" until I read that article.

Please use Google:

Russian Shashlik

Ingredients
1 1/2 lb. Lamb, cut from leg

1 sm. Onion, finely-minced

2 lg. Garlic, cloves, fine-minced

1 lg. Shallot, minced

1 Tbs. Parsley, freshly-chopped

1 1/4 c. Pomegranate juice, unsweetened (available at Health Food stores)

2 Tbs. Corn oil

4 ds. Cayenne pepper

Directions
Tart-and-sweet and slightly astringent pomegranate juice the base for the marinade in the recipe for this popular dish. True Russian style. Da! Russian overabundance of calories. Nyet! Trim away all fat from meat. Cut into 2 chunks. Place in small bowl together with onion garlic shallot parsley cayenne pepper and pomegranate juice. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove meat from marinade and pat dry. Skewer the meat using four substantial skewers. Brush with oil. Broil under very high heat turning often until done. Some prefer it slightly pink (12 minutes). Well done will take about 20 minutes. Remove from skewers and serve on a heated plate with Kasha. VARIATIONS: Include 2 green peppers cut into 12 chunks 4 tomatoes cut into quarters and 4 small white onions peeled and cut in half. Skewer alternate chunks of vegetable and meat chunks. Proceed according to recipe.

http://www.fastrecipes.com/recipe/russian-shashlik-2009051835861/

I wonder how much meat you can cut away from an "unborn lamb"??? Must be a gigantic leg then?? :rolleyes:

Besides, how much meat do you think there would be in a womb of a lamb? :confused: You'd need to slaughter 100s just to feed a bunch of people.

Seriously.

one thing about living overseas is that quite a few of the things we are raised up to believe and told not to do are done every day in other countries with no problems.

That is definitely true - and it also works in reverse. When i was living in various parts of Asia, i sometimes did my own aussie thing, only to be told that what i was doing was disgusting and/or culturally wrong and they would never do it, and it is wrong to do it.

Things like:

- brushing teeth after having breakfast (many asians brush their teeth first and then have breakfast and then go their merry way with pieces of food stuck in their teeth)

- drinking cold water to refresh oneself (many asians drink warm to hot water to refresh themselves - in fact, they very rarely drink cold water or cold drinks in general and they strongly tell you not to have a cold drink)

- having soup as an entree and then have the main meal (many asians have soup as the last course in a banquet)

- eat sausage sandwiches with my hands (not done at all. some asians just have to use chopsticks to eat a sausage sandwich as it is disgusting to eat with their hands - even after i was showing them aussie culture)

- wear shirts or clothes with the minuteist holes in it (as soon as a 1mm hole appears in a piece of clothing in taiwan it gets tossed. clothing would have to have huge holes in it before i would not wear it (and then i would turn it into into rags) - I don't know how many people told me that my tshirts were old and bad because they had a little hole in them somewhere)

- sit outside on the balcony and have a drink (of beer or wine) on a hot summers night (not done at all in taiwan. you don't drink alone there unless you are a crazy person and you never sit out on the balcony alone and drink as someone may see you). they simply don't believe in having a quiet time in solitude while enjoying a beveridge. only drunks or crazy people do that.

- pick up old newspapers from a cafe, restaurant, bus, train etc to read (not done as it shows that you are a poor person and cannot afford to buy your own newspaper - and yet i do this all the time. if i see a lonely newspaper sitting in a public place then i grab it and read it, and may leave it there for another person to do the same after i finish with it. but no, not in HK, Taipei, Guangzhou, Kaosiung and even in shanghai as my colleagues would stop me from doing it).

- put used toilet paper in the bowl and flush it (not in taipei and taiwan in general. used dunny paper gets put into a little bin next to the throne and you only flush your output. this little bin full of used dunny paper stinks and attacts flies but it is considered wrong to flush your dunny paper.)

- putting on a seat belt in the back seats of a car (never done. in fact some cars have never used their back seat belts and sometimes it is a real chore trying to find them as they are tucked away since day one in the very back of the seat fold. only "fools" wear back seat belts in some parts of asia).

etc etc.

i could go on and on. there are so many things we do that they think is disgusting and/or culturally wrong but we do it in the firm belief that we are right.

it's all part of living in a multicultural world i guess.

thanks

g

Being a Russian myself, I can tell you right now that article is an absolute garbage.

First of all I cant stomach veal let alone "unborn lamb".

Shashlik that I ate in ex Soviet Union and Russia was made out of marinated lamb, Ive never even heard of "unborn lamb" until I read that article.

Please use Google:

Russian Shashlik

Ingredients
1 1/2 lb. Lamb, cut from leg

1 sm. Onion, finely-minced

2 lg. Garlic, cloves, fine-minced

1 lg. Shallot, minced

1 Tbs. Parsley, freshly-chopped

1 1/4 c. Pomegranate juice, unsweetened (available at Health Food stores)

2 Tbs. Corn oil

4 ds. Cayenne pepper

Directions
Tart-and-sweet and slightly astringent pomegranate juice the base for the marinade in the recipe for this popular dish. True Russian style. Da! Russian overabundance of calories. Nyet! Trim away all fat from meat. Cut into 2 chunks. Place in small bowl together with onion garlic shallot parsley cayenne pepper and pomegranate juice. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove meat from marinade and pat dry. Skewer the meat using four substantial skewers. Brush with oil. Broil under very high heat turning often until done. Some prefer it slightly pink (12 minutes). Well done will take about 20 minutes. Remove from skewers and serve on a heated plate with Kasha. VARIATIONS: Include 2 green peppers cut into 12 chunks 4 tomatoes cut into quarters and 4 small white onions peeled and cut in half. Skewer alternate chunks of vegetable and meat chunks. Proceed according to recipe.

http://www.fastrecipes.com/recipe/russian-shashlik-2009051835861/

I wonder how much meat you can cut away from an "unborn lamb"??? Must be a gigantic leg then?? :rolleyes:

Besides, how much meat do you think there would be in a womb of a lamb? :confused: You'd need to slaughter 100s just to feed a bunch of people.

Seriously.

likewise for what I know fo the term shish-kebab

a kebab is diced meat on skewer. Greeks calls his a souvlaki (little souvla (souvla = a spit(as in roast)).

Shish kebab (in which "shish" is from Turkish şiş, pronounced /ʃiʃ/, meaning "skewer") is a dish consisting of meat threaded on a skewer and grilled......In most dialects of North American English, the word "kebab" usually refers to shish kebab

doner in turkish, like gyro (or gyros) in greek means something which rotates and refers to the meat cooked not on an individul skewer (kebab/souvlaki) but layverd kilo's at a time onto a huger vertical skewer - this is then cut off in small peices with a knife

Julie I dont know where you got unborn lamb from ?

Last edited:
putting on a seat belt in the back seats of a car (never done. in fact some cars have never used their back seat belts and sometimes it is a real chore trying to find them as they are tucked away since day one in the very back of the seat fold. only "fools" wear back seat belts in some parts of asia).

That's actually a source of argument for me at the moment. Korea has one of the highest road fatality rates in the world and pretty much noone uses the back seat belts. I'm here with wife and bub visiting the in-laws and almost 100% of the time whenever we go somewhere I insist on a) being the driver, and b) all passengers wearing seatbelts (correctly, tightly). It's pretty scary jumping in a cab here.

More times than I can count, I'll be going down the freeway at 110kph or whatever and the car in front will have kids standing up, facing backwards, or just generally jumping around in the back of the car.

-Ian

Friend's dad tells us sotry after his last trip to Greece.

Gets through customs, grabs his luggage, nd rushes striaght to the taxi stand lighting a smoke as soon as in the permitted area and walking confidently up to the first taxi motioning hello with his hed and proceeeding to move his luggage to the backl of the car.... taxi driver was smoking so he keeps his cigarette..

where we going ?

friends dad tells him the local slang name of the suburb and which route he want him to take, acting as much as local as he could to both settle in and to not get taken for a ride by the notorious taxi driver...after a bit the driver says "so where you from friend" he says damn it, my accent and my Greek is shot to bits ey ? you could tell straight away I don't live here"

"no not you're accent/language, you're fine.."

"then how ?"

the driver tugs at his unused seatbelt, which my friend's dad was bothering to wear, in a taxi, in the middle of the city, who does that in greece ?!

In another story a friend and wife jumped into a taxi , the husband naturally put his belt on nad the driver says in greek "what, don't you trust me or something ?". So my friend, embarassed, takes it off till Mary says in english "what are you doing idiot put it on, who the hell is he to trust ?!

Last edited:
That's actually a source of argument for me at the moment. Korea has one of the highest road fatality rates in the world and pretty much noone uses the back seat belts. I'm here with wife and bub visiting the in-laws and almost 100% of the time whenever we go somewhere I insist on a) being the driver, and b) all passengers wearing seatbelts (correctly, tightly). It's pretty scary jumping in a cab here.

More times than I can count, I'll be going down the freeway at 110kph or whatever and the car in front will have kids standing up, facing backwards, or just generally jumping around in the back of the car.

-Ian

Yep - same as in Taiwan. Even more scary is seeing a mother taking 4 kids to school on a single motor scooter and the mother is the only one wearing a helmet and 2 kids are in the foot area of the scooter and another 2 are hanging on for dear life at the back of the scooter.

As for seatbelts, it is now common practice for me to just automatically grab a seat belt as soon as i get into a car and this is what i was doing while in china, HK and Taiwan - but it is sometimes very difficult in finding the seat belt.

Having said that, i recall being a wee young kid back in the 70s and climbing in the back of the Fairlane with about 5 other kids and dad would roar down the highway at an obscene speed and we would all be beltless in the back of the car bouncing around. That was only about 40 years ago here - so maybe in the not too distant future, then Asian countries may follow this custom.

Changing the subject - what colour hair, skin and eyes did you bub get? My son (whose mother is Taiwanese) got my irish coloured gingerish hair, got the asian brown eyes but got skin that is a mixture of asian dark skin and my fair skin (which makes it look more like mediterranean skin). at first glance, you wouldn't tell my son is half chinese. what does your bub look like?

Thanks

g

Back