Dog flavour

Ian, don't get me started on the seat belt issue. endless disagreements with the rellies and friends when I refuse to move the car unless the kids are in seat belts or child seats. I cringe every time I see some daddy driving down the road with a toddler sticking its head out the drivers side window or standing up on daddy's seat. Child safety does not exist in Japan when it comes to cars.

The other one I absolutely hate is seeing a mum and dad both smoking with all the windows up and mum is holding either a new born baby or a very young one.

andrew,

raw chicken actually taste very similar to some raw fish. one thing about living overseas is that quite a few of the things we are raised up to believe and told not to do are done every day in other countries with no problems.

so you can safely eat raw chicken without fear of salmonella poisoning?

probbly a cas of "buyer beware" there andrew !

A friend working in Japan told me he went out to some remote village sight seeing to immerse himself in the local area and tried all these old village style foods and delicacies... told a co worker who looked at him and said "are you serious ? you ate that ?! no one in my family's eaten that since before my grandmother's generation!" to my friend who thought he was doing really well trying to keep up and fit it in. I'm sure he said it was raw pg's heart or something.

Having said that, i recall being a wee young kid back in the 70s and climbing in the back of the Fairlane with about 5 other kids and dad would roar down the highway at an obscene speed and we would all be beltless in the back of the car bouncing around. That was only about 40 years ago here - so maybe in the not too distant future, then Asian countries may follow this custom.

Yeah, I said something similar to my wife, about how the issue reminds me of Australia in the early 80's, and how I expect Koreans to be all wearing seatbelts in 30 years.

Changing the subject - what colour hair, skin and eyes did you bub get?

I'd say she's is smack-bang on 50/50, Korean/Aussie. Brown eyes, but her hair is dark brown, not black. She's also got the tiny button nose typical of Asians.

so you can safely eat raw chicken without fear of salmonella poisoning?

Simple answer Yes. It is all in the preparation and type. No different to eating sushi. Would I walk down to the shop buy a chicken kill it and eat it raw, no way, but I will go to a restaurant or some friends place and eat what they serve up. The same applies, to deer, beef, horse and a few others.

The area I'm in still has many so called 'traditional ways' and Japanese from all over Japan come to visit and taste the cuisine.

Yes, I remember riding beltless.

But I also remember the road toll in Victoria in 1970 being over 1000 for the year. It's now in the 400s despite many many more passenger miles than 40 years ago.

Seat belts. RBT. Lower speed limits (there used to be unlimited speed on highways). Better cars. It's all helped.

I don't understand why so many countries don't legislate more to stop the killings.

Unless they see road accidents as being more effective than birth control.

I don't understand why so many countries don't legislate more to stop the killings.

It does have it's upside. More freedom. More personal responsibility and less "the gummit will take care of me".

I see so many examples of things here that just wouldn't fly in Australia coz someone would get sued (eg. gym equipment in public parks, rocky/bumpy stairs with inadequate lighting, etc). At first I thought it was 'backwards' but then I realised how few simple freedoms we have left in Australia out of fear of litigation.

The kids playgrounds here look soooo much more fun (and dangerous!).

ianvestor, have you checked who made the kiddies play ground. I found a great one for my 22 month old daughter. Was very surprised to see it was MADE IN AUSTRALIA and in a Japanese park.

When it comes to legislation I find different countries put difference emphasis on situations. Japan has what some consider to be the strictest safety checks on vehicles. Yet you can have 4WD with a 14" lift kits. Australia has states with virtually no safety inspection once a car is registered or changes owners but has other states enforcing a 2" lift kit rule. Horses for courses when it comes to legislation.

In many ways Australia appears over regulated but there are also just as many ways in which there isn't.

Live octopus

I had to come back to this thread because I just went on a little road trip to a different city (Pusan) for 5 days, and while I was there I ate live octopus.

Well, actually I can't say I really ate a meal of it, I just tried a piece. I never knew before that the tenticles keep moving long after they've been chopped up. But before our main meal of raw fish, a rather large side-dish came out with pieces of octopus, about 3 or 4 centimetres a piece, and the whole plate was squirming!

Amazingly I managed to get a very active piece firmly in the chopsticks, and was told to "chew quickly". Very bizarre. Not a fan, simply because of the rubbery texture and I'm not generally a fan of cooked octopus either.

-Ian

Did you go to Pomosa temple?

No, I just went to the Haeundae-gu coastal area and then for a couple of nights had a great view of this (Gwangan Beach/ Gwangan Bridge) from our hotel room.

p1020519.jpg

Actually, this photo I found on Google images looks very similar to the view we had... totally unobstructed.

Definitely the prettiest (city) area of Korea I've seen so far, and Pusan's tall buildings are so much more modern-looking than Seoul.

Regarding the temples; I've seen a few and am not at all into the religious side of things but the the thing that always floors me is that some of these buildings are 1200+ years old and solid as a rock :eek:

-Ian

One of Korea's Hawaii spots but not as nice as Jeju do. The old temples and shrines in Korea and Japan really impressed me until I went to Mexico and Guatemala. Pomosa Temple has a nice walk that takes quite a few hours to go all the way around.

Have you done the Korean military museum in Seoul. Definitely a very sad place.

Pomosa Temple has a nice walk that takes quite a few hours to go all the way around.

What about with 12kgs of baby on your front? I'm guessing it's not stroller-accessible :)

I haven't seen the military museum either. As Homer once said, "Good things don't end in 'eum,' they end in 'mania'...or 'teria'" :)

-Ian

Can't remember if it is stroller accessible but the walks are quite wide and there were quite a few kids there last time I went. My little one who is nearly 2yrs and 15kg goes every where with me but I haven't used the stroller in along time.

Back