Dogs and Easements

I'm cross posting this from my development thread, as I suspect it may get lost in there. I had neighbours sign easement documents for a sewer through their property.

The neighbour said they had been advised by their solicitor that they would not be allowed to have any dogs in the yard once there is an easement there. That didn't sound quite right to me. Certainly, there is nothing about that in the forms they signed. The only thing that comes close is that if the easement is part of land that contains cattle, council has to give the owner reasonable notice to secure the cattle before they access the land. I'm not sure whether different councils have different easement requirements. Anyone know?

unless there's a specific clause banning pets, then it should be fine.

dogs dont come under the "cattle" definition, even if there is a "cattle" clause.

An easement is a right enjoyed by one person on another person's land.

Never heard (or imagined) of one relating to dogs.

And even if, that's a very big if, there was such an easement, then its restrictions would only apply to the land within the easement, not the whole yard. Someone is talking rubbish.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, it really didn't seem right to me. Luckily, it wasn't a major enough factor for them not to grant the easement.

Back