Donald Trump is a Chump

You've gotta have money to make money and he had plenty to start with, but could easily have lost the lot, that makes him a winner in my book

You don't have to have money to make money.

You need to have an idea, a plan, dedication, sacrifice and determination.

It also helps to keep educating yourself in finance and investing as well.

Having said that, the average person only needs to put aside 10% of their income each week from their first week of work and before long they have a bit of cash to do something with (investing).

Very few people do it.

i read the majority of your post - just couldn't be bothered with the year by year $$ position.

errrr - i used your figures. worth $400mil in 1984 - worth $2.6bil in currently.

QUOTE]

Sorry - those figures were from Forbes, unsubstantiated... there is commentary for a few of the years which shows the contradictions, such as in 1989 he declared 900 million personal debt and no net worth to bankruptcy administrators but still managed to get on the Forbes list

Hi jag,

Now that you've had a go at Donald, who's next? James Packer? The Lowy Brothers? Lachlan Murdoch? Kenneth Fisher? They all went on to bigger things on the backs of their fathers' successes, got anything to say about them?

Mark

Hi jag,

Now that you've had a go at Donald, who's next? James Packer? The Lowy Brothers? Lachlan Murdoch? Kenneth Fisher? They all went on to bigger things on the backs of their fathers' successes, got anything to say about them?

Mark

Are you comparing any of those people to Trump?

I said a lot more about Trump than the fact he was from a privileged family. I guess its more the fact that he downplays the role that had in his so called success.

I don't think anyone would compare Trump to any of the 'wealthy sons' you mentioned.
If James Packer had acted in anyway like the young Trump, he would have ended up like Clyde Packer - out of the family.

As for the Lowy brothers, David Lowy seems like an alright guy still playing in a band and purchasing and paying for the restoration of war era planes.

Nothing like Trump...

BTW, your signature quotes Peter Lynch but you're defending Trump? Those two are poles apart...

Last edited:
You haven't articulated yet what is so bad about the guy. So he nearly went bankrupt. A lot of people nearly go bankrupt. In fact, a lot of people actually do go bankrupt. Donald Trump went to the brink and came back stronger than ever. If that's a basis for criticism then you need your head read. That makes him worthy of an unprovoked attack? If I had a chance to spend an hour with him or an hour with you, you wouldn't even get half a second's thought.

You may not like the guy and that's fine, whatever. But there is no denying he is a hugely successful, resilient businessman with a bottomless belief in his own self worth. I love that about the guy. His confidence in himself is unparalleled. Also, considering you've met neither Peter Lynch nor Donald Trump, how can you say with any conviction that one is a better person than the other.

Methinks it's you that is the chump, buddy. You've got nothing better to do with your time than have a go at Donald Trump?

Mark

Well never been a fan of his interior design. This is Trump Tower in NY. When I visited there many years ago, the yellow gold, pink marble was a touch full on.

As for his financial success. Good on him. He has shared the wealth with his three (3) wives and children, so it has done the rounds and been recycled :p

Attachments

• usny6625.jpeg
    usny6625.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 77
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 67
Buzzlightyear beat me to it in part.

to be a billionaire after 3 divorces and 3 bankruptcies... most guys I see who get divorced dont end up as billionaires.

Hmmm. 3 wives = 3 bankruptcies...

Side thought - he'd probably be a good source of telling the US an alternate route of how to get out of the hole its put the world.

You haven't articulated yet what is so bad about the guy. So he nearly went bankrupt. A lot of people nearly go bankrupt. In fact, a lot of people actually do go bankrupt. Donald Trump went to the brink and came back stronger than ever. If that's a basis for criticism then you need your head read. That makes him worthy of an unprovoked attack? If I had a chance to spend an hour with him or an hour with you, you wouldn't even get half a second's thought.

You may not like the guy and that's fine, whatever. But there is no denying he is a hugely successful, resilient businessman with a bottomless belief in his own self worth. I love that about the guy. His confidence in himself is unparalleled. Also, considering you've met neither Peter Lynch nor Donald Trump, how can you say with any conviction that one is a better person than the other.

Methinks it's you that is the chump, buddy. You've got nothing better to do with your time than have a go at Donald Trump?

Mark

Its quite ironic that you are defending someone because I'm having a go at them but you are trying to goad me into an argument by personalising things on a forum.

I'm not sure if you actually thought I was hoping to sit down with you for an hour at some time in the future, thanks for the advance notice that you will be unable to attend, perhaps you could spend that hour brushing up on your research skills and finding out a bit more about your "Hugely successful, resilient businessman with a bottomless belief in his own self".

I've got to say there are a few things that do impress me about Trump.

Lending his name to investments is one, the implied value of the Trump name supposedly adds value to apartment buildings worldwide. While Trump gets to continue the facade of being wealthy (well suckers like you believe it anyway) by having his name up in lights in developments all over town... This poses some problems though...

Did you know (well, of course you probably do!) that in some of these 'Trump name' deals Trump negotiated administering the (US version of) body corporates in some of these buildings. Thats a bright idea that can create future income. Especially if you siphon funds from the owners!

Thats right the guy you want to spend an hour with has had property companies he manages taken to court for a variety of accounting and auditing problems with the body corporate books.

Some of the complaints that owners have include simple items like no minutes being recorded, if minutes were recorded they were kept on Trump premises in NY, minutes, audited financials etc. not being made available to owners or prospective owners, when they were made available they have to be read only on Trump premises.

What were they trying to hide ? (at least a dozen buildings in Manhattan have prosecuted the Trump organisation for this mismanagement) Would this happen in Australia in a normal strata building?

And before you use the defense that your pal Don may not approve of or know whats happening in each part of his (and I use the term oh so loosely) empire. Lets dig a bit deeper.

His son is at the centre of most of the fraud and misappropriation charges, yes his polished smiling son Conrad that can be seen learning from his father on the apprentice. And what happened when a resident found out and blew the whistle on Conrad stealing 380k from her buildings works funds? The trump organisation pressured a building employee to press assault charges against the female resident. the charge later being dropped and the employee admitting he had 'overstates' the assault.

At the time Trump publicly defamed the female resident on radio and in print whilst sticking up for his son.

Trump does not manage that building anymore and Conrad plans to start a property fund investing in India. and why not , he's 30, never had to work and already knows how to fleece people! the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

Take all the advice you like from Trump.

Seriously champ don't just take my word for it. see what Warren Buffet has to say about your pal Trump:

Where did Donald Trump go wrong? The big problem with Donald Trump was he never went right. He basically overpaid for properties, but he got people to lend him the money. He was terrific at borrowing money. If you look at his assets, and what he paid for them, and what he borrowed to get them, there was never any real equity there. He owes, perhaps, $3.5 billion now, and, if you had to pick a figure as to the value of the assets, it might be more like $2.5 billion. He’s a billion in the hole, which is a lot better than being $100 in the hole because if you’re $100 in the hole, they come and take the TV set. If you’re a billion in the hole, they say “hang in there Donald.”

Buzzlightyear beat me to it in part.

to be a billionaire after 3 divorces and 3 bankruptcies... most guys I see who get divorced dont end up as billionaires.

Hmmm. 3 wives = 3 bankruptcies...

Side thought - he'd probably be a good source of telling the US an alternate route of how to get out of the hole its put the world.

I think wife 2 only got 1M US and a property due to an iron clad pre nup. Employing the lawyers for that was intelligent.

The whole trump thing seems very irrelavant to me and I am suprised it has become so heated. Surely there are better things to discuss.

mmm interesting topic.
The apprecentice was worth the 'entertainment' value, but i could see how it could turn alot of people off trump.
Personally im much more a buffet fan than a trump fan.

On another point if i look at his accumulation factor over say 20yrs and compare it to my parents who are very humble low key people, i think my parents coverted a wealth in the early 80's by a factor of around 20 or 30.
Mainly through their PPOR and through slowly acquiring a buy and hold share portfolio.
SO if you multiply his starting worth by say 20, how does it stack up?

jagmcmanus post

Guys, everyone that is telling jagmcmanus directly or indirectly to basically shutup should take a chill pill. His original post atleast went into some detail outlining his views on someone that is the self proclaimed quintessential property developer of the world...

If you disagree with his views do just that.... but

lets value everyones views and positions and be strong enough with your own position to not be so easily be angered particularly given how light weight this issue is compared to others plaguing the property industry or worse throw the usual insults... like... "jealous", "how much money do you have", "are you a billionaire? no then shutup" so on...

The biggest issue I have with Trump is not how or when or why he got his money but more to do with my own view that he isn't a developer.

His books, speeches and words of advice have more to do with self empowerment and showman ship than actually development. Would you buy a text from Trump on how to actually develop?

For instance do you really think for a moment that Nakeel needed to JV with Trump for a single hotel in the Palms? even on latest release on the "agreement" details shows the hotel is owned in the end of the day by Nakeel with some arrangement where Trump owns some of the end units???? ummmm ok... in short they wanted his showman ship.....

look... it doesn't matter in the end of the day Trump is successful and no1 should knock him for that... but as a developer i.e. what (WE) in this forum should be caring about given thats the part that relates to property... leaves much to be desired.

LOL, is everyone aware he tried to trademark that phrase on two seperate occasions.?

Yes he tried to trademark 2 words of the English language as he believed it was part of his intellectual property. Yikes.

Reminds me of that episode of Southpark where it became illegal to use the term "nigger guy".

LOL.

Wow! Talk about bitter!

Give me Trump's little wealth anyday. No one's denying he's up himself, so what?! If you can look past that, he's got quite a few pearls of wisdom. I found his books an interesting read, and quite frankly don't care if they were written by a guy worth $1M or $1Trillion.

Bill Gates is much wealthier than Trump will ever be, but I know who's book I'd rather read.

Plus, for every guy who inherited money from Daddy and made it bigger, you'll find 20 who made it smaller. Check out the family that started 'Seagram' (sorry, family name escapes me).

Don't quite understand why you'd focus so much effort/time on deriding someone either? I read mountains of stuff on Rupert Murdoch, because I marvel at the guy and enjoy reading about his achievements and ventures. If I hated him or belived him a fraud, I wouldn't have spent more than an initial 10mins reading about him.

But then again, perhaps I'm not supposed to get it. Same reason I don't get people who hate property markets spending hours on end in property forums.

Back