Donating

Just wondering what is the most money you have donated to a charity or cause and what financial position were you in. Did you have in the bank Over 1,2,5mil. Eventually when I make money from investing I want to donate some. Who did you donate to.

I've donated a significant percentage of my income, roughly 50/50 between children's charities and cancer research.

You don't need to donate money or be wealthy for it to be worthwhile. A blood or a plasma donation saves about 3 lives. You can donate blood every quarter and plasma every month, it takes about an hour. There's a 30% chance that one day you'll be the one who needs it and it's so easy to pay it forward.

When we lived in South Melbourne we used to help Father Bob feeding the local homeless. It cost us nothing but a few hours and was quite rewarding.

I take my hat off to you Peter. Exactly the same mindset as I have. When I start making money I want to donate money to the children's hospital because I have been there before when my son was born and it is very sad seeing all those sick kids there. I would also like to help the homeless.

Sometimes I think the wrong people end up with the most money. I would get more joy out of saving someone's life than buying a fancy new car.

great stuff Brian

couple of things from my side

1. Take care of whom or what you give your resources to. some charities make great use of your money, some less so.

2. Its not the amount. Its the spirit, AND you dont need to make a million. A dollar that separate from something that you havent spent on yourself is as valuable as the million you dont "need".

ta
rolf

refugees/ cancer research/ wildlife.

I'm not the most generous person in the world and know it's something I need to work on. I like to be a part of it. Love CanToo because I get to run and swim and have given time as a mentor as well as raised the money and got fit.
The bushfires and floods and cyclones bring out the best in Australians - more of a sense that the money will go directly into something immediate.
I'm turned off by shiny brochures and backpacker salespeople even though I'd love to back some of their causes (turtles, etc).

Will probably leave wealth to deaf and blind children and/or animal rescue. Still not sure.

good question Brian84

Hiya

Have been donating blood since i was in my 20s:D in the earlier years it was hit and miss as sometimes my weight doesn't quite add up but as the years go by, that doesn't seem to be a problem ha ha!

I say to people if they can't spare the money, spare the time (or blood):D

I also donate to this charity (careful: advert coming up) ever since i found that 1 in 4 Cambodian woman (or kid) is sold /trafficked to prostituition and that Australian men are #8 in this despicable "trade"

http://connectinghands.com.au/

They are not affliated to any big organisations and are self sustaining; they rescue women and put them to work in their cafe(s)...

Pls help to keep them going:D

Good to see there are a few people out there that are making a difference, I thought being such a big forum amongst some wealthy investors there would be some more comments. I hope they aren't replying because they haven't seen this post yet because they are on a private island for a well earned holiday that doesn't have Internet.

Surely there are more good people out there. Love to hear more stories.

Well done to the people who have replied so far.

Use to donate about 5%+ of my income and a significant amount of time.
eg. was asked to move to the Riverina by a youth organisation and spent 1.5 years there setting up youth work shops which I use to do in Sydney.

I don't donate anymore, at least not like that, I saw too much money go to waste, and I started seeing people around me using it as an excuse to escape taking on life responsibilities (I supported myself, others relied on funding).

Don't really believe in the way charities operate and prefer to work with people at the grass roots setting up projects on a shoe string budget (haven't done that either in over a year :().

I think it's important, if charity is important to you (as it is to me), to begin practising it when you don't have that much. I think it's a mindset and a habit, and if you wait until some mythical time when you have "enough" for yourself, that day will likely never come. :eek:

We donate about 3% of our gross income, and always have done. We regularly support Medicins Sans Frontieres ("Doctors Without Borders"), Amnesty International, Kiva (microloans for entrepeneurs; see more in my signature - there's a Somersoft team :) ), and CMRI (Children's Medical Research Institute).

We make one-off donations to organisations that we support, but perhaps as a slightly lower priority, when we feel we can afford to, such as surf lifesaving, PCYC, RSPCA, other medical research organisations, etc.

Ive got a huge chunk of my % to go to RSPCA ,

I dont donate as much now as im too busy trying to establish myself,

no point helping others until you can help yourself!

As is often the case I agree with perp, I think often people who wait for a magical time in the future to begin donating will never end up doing so.

I currently donate around 15-20% of income to a mix of some organized charities, some individuals I know that need some help and some charitable efforts that friends are involved in so I know every dollar goes where it needs to.

Goal is to have it around the 50k/yr mark within next few years and would like to hit the 100k/yr mark at some stage.

A close friend in Malaysia started helping our various at risk groups/charities in march this year, every month he finds another group and we help out where we can. There have been times where around 700AUD will pay for groceries for an entire home of say 30 people for a month which really puts things into perspective

I currently donate around 15-20% of income
Good going, sanj.

We're actually in recovery from an investment disaster where we lost pretty much everything, which is why we're down to only 3%, but I do plan to increase our % as we rebuild.

But I find it hard to believe there's anybody who is on Somersoft who can't afford 1%. And if you're only on a modest income of, say, $50K, well, that's a $500 donation once a year, which is enough to make a difference. Or $40 a month to a worthy organisation.

Good going, sanj.

We're actually in recovery from an investment disaster where we lost pretty much everything, which is why we're down to only 3%, but I do plan to increase our % as we rebuild.

But I find it hard to believe there's anybody who is on Somersoft who can't afford 1%. And if you're only on a modest income of, say, $50K, well, that's a $500 donation once a year, which is enough to make a difference. Or $40 a month to a worthy organisation.

Ouch sorry to hear perp, good to see your charitable nature still evident.

Agree that vast majority of people, especially investors, have the ability to help in some monetary form.

This is a country where nearly $9bn was spent on tobacco alone last year or over $600 per year for every single working age person in the country. There is an enormous amount of money in this country, only beaten by the number of people managing to cry poor while earning good incomes

Ouch sorry to hear perp, good to see your charitable nature still evident.
When you can lose hundreds of $K and - whilst it undoubtedly hurts - you still have a roof over your head, it just further demonstrates how freaking blessed you are. :)

I've donated several k to the UNHCR Syria appeal in dribs and drabs over the past few years.

I visited there several years ago and my father had a hotel in Damascus until the civil war broke out. Breaks my heart what has happened to that country.

Back