Donga granny flat.

Howdy y'all.

Has anybody used a transportable building, such as one from a building site, and converted it into a granny flat?

I reckon it could be done for less than 25k.

Any thoughts?

Howdy y'all.

Has anybody used a transportable building, such as one from a building site, and converted it into a granny flat?

I reckon it could be done for less than 25k.

Any thoughts?

Hi lock24,

In my experience most Councils in Sydney wont allow transportable homes to be approved as granny flats. The reasons have to do with transportable homes not being classified as 'buildings'.

A Section-68 Approval is the only way to get a transportable/relocatable structure onto a site as a granny flat. Unfortunately none of the Council's Ive tried allow it due to this rule.

I've had limited luck in Rural areas but not in Sydney. Blacktown Council allows it in some areas but you'll need separate parking and dual-occupancy approval. Not as simple as the State legislation though.

be sure to get aproval BEFORE you buy such a structure and get the Engineering ticket from the manufacturer, espacially if it's steel-framed. You'll need to maeet BASIX (Energy-Efficiency) as well. Most transportable homes fail this.
Buyer beware.

Good luck!

Back