Dongara - whats the go?

Hi to all fellow West Aussies.

I've just got back from up north and on my way back drove through Dongara and noticed the amount of building activity up there. The last time I was there was years ago on holidays and it seems that the place is really going ahead. They are selling decent coastal/riverside land up there for reasonable prices.

Does anyone have any local knowledge on the place? Love to hear your thoughts?

cheers

sq

I reckon the mid west will boom on the back of iron ore mining due to commence over the next 12 to 18 months.

There will be a preference from mining workers to gravitate to these areas away from the harsh North West seeking more lifsetyle choices for family and more convenience and services which all North West towns lack.

Even now RIO are working on fly in fly out from other regional destinations apart from Perth. Geraldton is one target, Exmouth and Broome are others.
Brizzy is also now on the list with direct flights between Karratha and Briz just announced.

Dongara will benefit from the spillover as some ppl seek a 'quiter' place to live away from Geraldton.

In the first instance, I think there is a fundamental shift of the population happening to regional areas which is underway.
The next shift will be by ppl who have been in a regional area for many yrs. shifting to places like Geraldton/Dongara/Jurien etc.

The other observstion I have is that regioal areas are fundamentally under supplied with housing, especially new housing.

Yields are better up North but CG will be strong further South.

I'd say forget Perth for investing.
Its all happening in the regional areas of WA ( and Qld)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys..... I have been keeping an close eye on the regional QLD market and yes I suppose the money being made out of the mining boom in WA would be kicking things off in nice seaside locations such as Dongara, Jurien etc where people are wanting and can afford a "lifestyle".

Food for thought:cool:

sq

Geraldton has been spreading down the coast into Greenough for a while, and prices continue to boom. (As a general rule, Gerro cycles around 12 months behind Perth.)
With those prices, it is not surprising that many people are choosing Dongara instead, especially where one or both partners work on the mines.
That said, the prices being charged for land in Dongara are ridiculous. In small towns like this, the only restriction on supply is the zoning, and the time taken to get planning approval for more land to be rezoned. Whilst demand remains high, there is money to be made in the land rush, but there is a disproportionately high risk of getting stuck holding the baby when the boom ends.
I’d also point out, that whilst Dongara is an idyllic location, until at least 5 years ago, many of the locals were feral. They earnt a bucketload of money either on the mines or crayfishing, and spent most of it on drugs. (It may have improved since I was last there.)

Gee Big Aussie.........

I thought $215,000 - $235,000 for a 720sqm block (1 minute walk to river and ocean) AND with potential ocean/rivermouth views pretty good actually, in comparison to some beachside locations I've seen around the traps.

Mind you I did see some for over the $300,000 mark which I thought was a little steep!!!:rolleyes:

sq

Back