Don't understand this at all

Hi All

Watched a show on fox last night regarding people who have exotic animals ie monkeys, tigers, lions etc. as pets.

This couple were interviewed as they have 4 capuchin monkeys and are currently living in some sort of motor home. Poor monkeys are basically caged most of the day.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-01-30/louisiana-monkey-refugees/52881850/1

What is it with these people, I have been following various shows regarding this and I don't understand what is the fascination is, not to mention the danger and they are not doing these creatures any favours, in fact they are doing the exact opposite.

One guy in US who had I think somewhere around 30 lions, tigers, committed suicide, prior to doing this he opened all the cages and most of these animals were shot, it was horrific. Death threats by locals who saw this as disgusting, as police/military stacked up carcasses, appalling.

I think this is madness.

MTR

Its like art,

some people buy art because they like art
some people buy art to show off to their friends

I think the majority is the latter

I assume this also applies to exotic animals,
so they can show off to their friends,and show them how much power/money they have

horses for courses

It's called; "Look at me!, Look at me!"

The whole world is inflicted with it in various forms of display, and actions.

Wild animals should not be kept in captivity.

People should really think about this, it isn't just some moron in the US with 4 monkey's in a motorhome.

It is every stupid tourist taking pictures of every cute little monkey in Asia with a chain around its neck. Every idiot that jumps on the back of an Elephant.

You and your tourist dollars are the reason these animals are not free.

This is something I am very passionate about, this has certainly touched a nerve.

One guy in US who had I think somewhere around 30 lions, tigers, committed suicide, prior to doing this he opened all the cages and most of these animals were shot, it was horrific. Death threats by locals who saw this as disgusting, as police/military stacked up carcasses, appalling.

I think this is madness.

MTR

I suppose if you are going down, might as well take a few down with you. :cool:

People should really think about this, it isn't just some moron in the US with 4 monkey's in a motorhome.

It is every stupid tourist taking pictures of every cute little monkey in Asia with a chain around its neck. Every idiot that jumps on the back of an Elephant.

This is something I am very passionate about, this has certainly touched a nerve.

I am with you on this.

I suppose if you are going down, might as well take a few down with you. :cool:

This guy was a Vietnam vet whose hobby was collecting guns and exotic animals, and watching them circle their cages, this is what they do when they are stressed.

Advocates, media and animal welfare agencies are always quick to expose and act to save animals from any suffering in western countries, so any cases of abuse would generally be shortlived if such information was to get out.

I just wish the same concern was extended to children - Aboriginal children as well as non Aboriginal - the cases reaching into the thousands and largely ignored by everyone.

Even the Royal Commission ignored Aboriginals and those abused in the home.

I understand the 'too hard basket' but I really think we need to keep things in perspective.

To think that he might have been keeping animals which are endangered in the wild that because of him, just got shot...madness is a good word!

Very true.

Totally agree. And would go even further to suggest that even domestic "pets" should not be kept in captivity either ie big dogs in tiny suburban yards. If you live on a farm or on an acreage in the bush then fine, but not in the city. It's just as cruel to keep a dog cooped up in a small back yard as it is a tiger or lion.

Totally agree. And would go even further to suggest that even domestic "pets" should not be kept in captivity either ie big dogs in tiny suburban yards. If you live on a farm or on an acreage in the bush then fine, but not in the city. It's just as cruel to keep a dog cooped up in a small back yard as it is a tiger or lion.

Never thought of this.
Family and friends own larger dogs, they are into their sports and keeping fit so their dogs go to dog beaches, parks and get at least 2 walks a day.

I think regardless large or small dogs owners need to take responsibility and ensure they are taken for walks/exercised and most importantly treated as part of the family.

MTR:)

Back