Dont you just hate that?

the likelyhood of losing your whole 10k on one trade when you have a sell order in place?
I'd suggest highly unlikely, assuming you're not leveraged and provided you haven't picked a turkey on the verge of going broke. You'll very occasionally see something drop 50%-60% in a day, usually after some sort of very bad news, but for the larger, top stocks, 10% would be considered a big down day.

I've never used conditional sell orders, but prices can gap over them so that you get slippage, and if you set a limit as well, it could potentially gap right outside that too. To minimise slippage, stick with the very liquid stocks that aren't so prone to gapping.

as a private individual trading shares, is any gain made from trading a capital gain?
It's not about the entity who's trading (ie. whether an individual, a company, or a trust), but about whether the intention is to be an investor or a trading business. The ATO have some guidelines on the sorts of things that would qualify you as a trading business, but nothing is set in concrete. Technically it's your intention that matters, but you need to be able to back that intention up if required. Typical things would be volume of trades, amount of capital (a small amount like you're suggesting would likely be considered a hobby), amount of research and technique that's put into the trading, how organised you are with a business/trading plan and keeping accounts, etc. Remember, a trading business is supposed to be a business, and they'd expect it to be run like a business. I'd almost guarantee that one trade of $10K every 3 months wouldn't cut the mustard.

If I am down at year end, it's a capital loss and cannot be deducted from yearly income.
Correct, if you're an investor.

If I am up the following year, can the previous years capital loss be deducted from the gain made due to shares that year?
Normally yes, as losses can be carried forward to future years. If you were using a trust or company owned by a trust then there are certain trust loss provisions that might prevent that, but as an individual, I can't think of any (remembering that I'm not an accountant, and I also don't trade as an individual).

Can capital losses be deducted from different investment classes?
I believe so, as it's still capital gains and losses, but verify with an accountant to be sure.

GP

Oh, and Great Pig, i'm consistently profitable these days.
That comment wasn't aimed at you, or anyone in particular. As you say, it's like poker players, or lotto players, who tell the world when they win 500 bucks but probably don't even think about how much they've had to spend to get that win.

The important point though is that on a forum like this, you have no idea whether the person making the statement is like that, or even if it's a completely BS statement in the first place just to try and make themselves look sh?t hot.

And IMO, talking about individual trades is totally irrelevant, except where they're being analysed as part of a discussion about some sort of technique. So I made $500 on XYZ this morning - so what? Doesn't mean a thing and is a completely useless statement of itself. To me there are really only two types of discussions about specific stocks: analysis and bragging. If it's not the first, then it must be the latter.

GP

If that also applies to property deals you'd have to delete a lot of this forum.

But if you think its irrelevant that's your choice. Maybe you don't like talking about your trades, that's cool. Each to their own. :)

And IMO, talking about individual trades is totally irrelevant, except where they're being analysed as part of a discussion about some sort of technique. So I made $500 on XYZ this morning - so what? Doesn't mean a thing and is a completely useless statement of itself. To me there are really only two types of discussions about specific stocks: analysis and bragging. If it's not the first, then it must be the latter.

GP

I like to hear about other peoples winning trades the same as I like to hear about someones bargain property purchase. This has been a great thread to read as trading can be a very lonely thing to do. I am lucky in a way as hubby and I both trade with separate accounts so we have a little competition going to see who does best each week (I flogged his butt last week!!!!:D).

When you are trading by yourself it is nice to be able to tell someone and get a little pat on the back when a trade goes well, it's also nice to get a few commiserations when one goes against you too.

Property deals are somewhat different to share trades. Maybe long term share holding is similar, but with share trading you really only expect to win on a certain percentage, possibly as low as 40%, and lose on the rest. Each individual trade doesn't matter, provided it's managed within your strategy, and only the result of tens, hundreds, or even thousands of trades ultimately matters. That's not the case with property.

And there's nothing wrong with the odd bit of bragging to make you feel good, but that doesn't make the information any more useful to anyone else. They can't repeat your trade, and without any information about what technique you used and why you decided to buy and sell the stock when you did, the statement is about as useful to their share trading as telling them you just bought a new plasma TV.

GP

I bought another 30k SRX at $5.77 a few days ago, and they are at $6.15 currently.

Sirtex SRX hit $8 today, and finished at $7.99. Up 44c. Dunno what's going on?
Thinking of averageing up again just in case it's another CSL or cochlear.
Got 100k worth of em now.

See ya's.

ps. Anyone who takes free advice about shares from a farmer, on a property forum deserves to lose all their money.
I'm also obviously just ramping this stock hoping to offload to some suckers

The euro/yen is an indication of the carry trade. If yen appreciates, it means risk appetitie is declining.
Also look at the range, if we are nearing a top or bottom/ a reversal MAY becoming.
This is just an indicator, but i use it when assessing my margin debt positions.

And this is still holding.

Back