Dont you just hate that?

For share investors/traders.

This morning at market open i put an order in for $50k x MCC @ $8.84. While i was fiddling around looking at other opportunities it took off and was up 7% within half an hour.

I would have made $3.5k in 30 minutes, turned my computer off and went for a surf and coffee on this beautiful warm Sydney morning.

That's what i get for nickle and diming it and not keeping my eye on the ball. :(
Its coming back a bit now but i missed the boat.

No worries, there are plenty of other opportunities at the moment, but that was a beauty to miss. I'm like a kid in a lolly shop.

LOL...i said to mate of mine a while back who got the decimal point in the wrong place. "If you cant order correctly you shouldn't be doing this stuff"

But i have made some doozies myself years ago, mostly from not paying attention. You can use the 'estimate' feature on Comsec before ok'ing the order. Its a life saver.

I hate it worse when I get the price and quantities the wrong way around and hit the execute button :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Mate who used to work at the bank did that last year. Organised himself a LOC to invest into a few stocks on the ASX.

During work he placed an order for 70 RIO. Accidentally typed 700. Used up all his LOC on the one stock, and RIO proceeded to drop $10 over the next couple days. He was a bit stressed.

Managed to get out a while later at a profit, so turned out alright for him in the end.

For share investors/traders.

This morning at market open i put an order in for $50k x MCC @ $8.84. While i was fiddling around looking at other opportunities it took off and was up 7% within half an hour.

I would have made $3.5k in 30 minutes, turned my computer off and went for a surf and coffee on this beautiful warm Sydney morning.

That's what i get for nickle and diming it and not keeping my eye on the ball. :(
Its coming back a bit now but i missed the boat.

No worries, there are plenty of other opportunities at the moment, but that was a beauty to miss. I'm like a kid in a lolly shop.

It can happen that way several times a week if you are focusing on what you know and have the guts to act on it and make the phonecall and risk the money and hope you don't have any unexpected errors that stuff up the shorterm plan,but somelike 3.5k in 30 minutes is very good for a mornings work,or you could look at it the other way and you were investing with 250k and above that's when everything kicks in a big way if all the dots line up,my best so far this year was BOQ entry price was
$6 .88,with div-franking- sold a short time ago for $11.18 they don't come along that often but when they do:),..imho willair..

That's a good trade Willair. I've had BOQ on my watch list for a while and i reckon still not a bad buy. problem is there are too many opportunities lately. My head starts spinning LOL

It can happen that way several times a week if you are focusing on what you know and have the guts to act on it and make the phonecall and risk the money and hope you don't have any unexpected errors that stuff up the shorterm plan,but somelike 3.5k in 30 minutes is very good for a mornings work,or you could look at it the other way and you were investing with 250k and above that's when everything kicks in a big way if all the dots line up,my best so far this year was BOQ entry price was
$6 .88,with div-franking- sold a short time ago for $11.18 they don't come along that often but when they do:),..imho willair..

Attachments

• boq.jpg
    boq.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 132
That's happened to me. Or a power blackout when the guys were working on the lines. I got in the car and flew to the nearest internet cafe or library like a junkie after a hit.

Yup, and usually when you *know* you are on a winner, that is when your online trading provider crashes.

my doosie was when apple were releasing the iPhone. in fact, they released it the night before the market opened. i jumped at the stock - only to have my whole system FREEZE when i pressed "order" on my platform.

10x CFD contracts @ $90 per stock.

stock rallied from $90 on open to $94ish at close, then passed $100 the next day.

i'm glad i didn;t chase because it fell over the next 2 days back to $90.

on a CFD - that would have doubled my money.

would have.....

You can use the 'estimate' feature on Comsec before ok'ing the order. Its a life saver.

Agree with that absolutely. I was going to put something through this morning without using 'estimate' and didn't have the courage :p.

It's a bit like neglecting to 'preview post' on here - could be nasty!

cheers

some bad news came out for a stock I was following in 2002. It had peaked at 55c a few weeks before and had been steadily dropping in anticipation of the bad news that was coming. The day before the announcement it closed in the low 30s.

The opening match was about 15c which I thought was overdone so I put a stupid bid in at 7.7c not expecting to be hit. I then flicked windows to read the news and came back 60 seconds later. To my suprise I had been filled for the whole lot and the stock was now trading at 8.8c so I sold and was done for the day. The entire buying and selling process took 67 seconds which was a record for me at the time.

My best one was in June when I bought 50000 MGX @1.03 put in a sell for for 1.13 and they opened next day at 1.17!! $6879 profit overnight.:D that was a GOOD day.

As a postscript to this thread, i bought MCC yesterday @ $8.84 (my buy order was still active) on the dip and i'm stalking it right now. Its having another run this morning, its up 5.7% ($2818) on my purchase price so far. Will sell soon as i don't want to sit at the computer all day.

The difference to Monday when i started this thread is there were roughly 4 times the buyers as sellers, today there are approx. only double or less the amount with more sellers coming in all the time. So this little rally will run out of puff soon i'd say so i better sell sooner than later.

As a postscript to this thread, i bought MCC yesterday @ $8.84 (my buy order was still active) on the dip and i'm stalking it right now. Its having another run this morning, its up 5.7% ($2818) on my purchase price so far. .

Now, Dont you just love that! :D

oh yeah :) What the market taketh, the market giveth back :) Not always.

Now, Dont you just love that! :D

I put a sell order in for $9.30 (app. $2.5k profit) . I'm going to hop on my bike and meet some friends for lunch in Bondi. Its a beautiful Sydney day. See how it goes when i get back.

I was long a stock that was listed both on the Nasdaq and here in Oz several years ago. I went long at 21.5c on a Friday at the close. On Friday night our time it came out with a ripper announcement in the Us and rallied about 40%.

Come Monday morning, the pre-open indicated an open of 28.5c, I sold at the open for 28.5c. the stock later went broke and delisted.

Well i missed that one but had a great lunch and was atop day for a ride. The demand dropped off as i expected and closed at $9.16 with my sell order unfilled.

No worries. Should be back up today and i'm watching.

Re price jumps. A few years ago i bought Flight Centre. (FLC) . It was doing nothing after a few weeks and i was considering selling one morning to look for another opportunity.

I logged on that morning and the price of FLT had jumped hugely after an overnight takeover offer from a US company.

I looked at the price and then turned my computer off, i couldn't believe it. Went and made a coffee, came back, logged on again and there it was. I put in a sell order and made $18k! Giddy Up! That's just dumb luck, but i aint giving it back. LOL

The thing i like about this stuff is when i make a profit, it goes straight in my back pocket (ex tax of course)

When i had my business, to put $3.5k in my pocket the business would have had to make approx. $10k gross. Gotta love that.

By the way Charttv, what stock was it?

Guess my best 'investment' at the moment is turning out to be flexigroup (FXL).
Bought 150,000 of the shares between $0.68 and $0.2 odd during the last 18 months on a dollar cost averaging basis (both upwards and downwards). I think the average cost is somewhere around $0.45-$0.5.

Just came out with its profit announcement today which is good.
Still holding, i think this will be my first 5 bagger over time.

Back