Double shower

Hi
I am renovating a small two bedroom house (to rent) and am thinking of putting in a double shower. The house is really suited to a couple and thought this could be a point of difference for someone.
Has anyone else put in a double shower and had any feedback from agents and tenants.
Thanks

Hi July,

At the end of the day its a cost benefit analysis you need to do.

How much is the double shower when fully installed going to cost?
How much will this increase the rent by?
How much will it decrease my vacancy factor?

The first two should be easy to quantify, say; double shower installed cost $2,000 rent increase $10 pw. So per annum rent increased by $520 divided by $2,000 = 26% return pa on outlay.

Not bad if this is the case but no account has been taken of your time to organise it and of course the shower additions/repairs will have tax implications.

The 'point of difference' is only of value if it decreases the potential vacancy factor (rents quicker against the competition). If the usual vacancy factor is reduced by say 1 week ($200pw rent ) that also represents a 10% return on outlay. How you would ever prove that it was the double shower head that reduced the vacancy would be difficult and basically anecdotal.

In short it may be worth it just as much any value adding exercise, but it depends on the specifics of the property and the target market. For example non sexually active geriatric couples may be the big renters in your area and the double shower head irrelevant:D

regards, Michael Croft

I take it from "double-shower" you mean a shower that two people can use simultaneously, not just a "bigger-than-normal" shower?

I haven't "put in" a double shower but my present PPOR has a double-shower, which we specifically requested when our PPOR was built.

Showering together saves a lot of time. Having had a double shower, if I had to rent I would definitely consider a double shower a worthwhile feature over a home without one.

Shower base measures 1500x900, and personally I would not consider anything smaller for two people to actually shower comfortably.

Some suggestions:

1. Personally I wouldn't bother unless the bathroom/ensuite is large enough that two people can comfortably get dried (etc) in the same space, outside of the shower enclosure.

2. Give careful consideration to how your shower doors will work. Pivot doors encroaching into the shower base can be a pain in the ... My preference is for sliding doors.

3. A lot of plumbers will put in one set of hot/cold taps and the "other" shower rose simply has a stop-cock to turn on the water flow. This means both showers get the same water temp. Personally I would not do this. Spend the extra $100 and put in independent taps. Besides looking nicer, not all couples like the same water temperature.

4. Be wary about total water consumption and that your HWS can deliver it if it's one of the "instant" HWS types. Not really an issue if you have a mains pressure storage-type unit.

5. I think a double shower works best when you have 3 tiled walls and one side screened. Recommend putting taps opposite one another on the "short walls" (same walls as the shower roses), and also two soap trays (one on each wall).

6. Personal bugbear of mine. If you get a plumber to do the work, tell him the height at which you expect the shower rose outlet to be. At the time our PPOR was being constructed, the builder's "standard" height for the outlet was 5' 6" above shower base level. I have been in motels where I swear the shower is 5' above shower base level. I am 6' 4" so I notice these things. 6' above shower base will accomodate nearly everyone, if you don't have a "fixed" shower rose.

*sigh* - I've lost count of the number of supposedly 4 and 5 star hotels I've stayed in for work which have had a shower head that sprays water directly at my chest. I may have a hairy chest, but I don't generally shampoo the hair there - I need the water on my head (and I don't like showering on my knees).

At 6'2", I'm not exactly a giant, and it does make a real difference to your quality of life ! Listen to Kevmeister and make sure the shower rose outlet is at a decent height or adjustable to be so.

PS. congratulations on 500 posts Kevmeister !

Kevmeister,

I've always found that showering with my partner takes more time than individual showers :p

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Kev - whilst these are all valid considerations I think they are more linked to PPOR rather than for your IP

Eg say you only have one set of taps - 99.9% of ppl will go wow... double shower... thats handy, ill pay some more $$$ for that

but very few ppl are going to notice you cant have different temps

as MC suggested you've always got to come back to those 3 ideas

Eg say you only have one set of taps - 99.9% of ppl will go wow... double shower... thats handy, ill pay some more $$$ for that.

XBenX:

Certainly my points are based on my experience in my PPOR rather than as a landlord, but I was really just pointing out the little things that turn a good idea into a good implementation.

And sometimes it's the niggly little things that crap you off.

For example, they might see the double-shower and go "wow" but once they start using it they may realise it's not all it's cracked up to be if each individual can't have their own water temperature. Such little things could be the difference between a tenant renewing their lease or not, I guess.

I understood what you where getting at but in my experience spending those extra $$$ on the extra's like this doesnt gain you an extended lease, decreased vacancy, etc

the first impression is what matters the most, ive found spending the extra $$$ on the hidden things that give value in use dont give you a good return for your $$$

that being said im only thinking about the markets im active in

Mmm having tiled lots of showers

From my experience double sized showers come in many configurations .

Some will easily accommodate two people.

Some will alow an elderly person to comfortably us a chair.

Some have formed shower bases.

Others are walk in.

Some have full size shower screens, sliding doors or pivot doors.

Some have a glass panel only.

Whichever you chose to use, the benefit or wow factor will have a positive affect.

we have one in our home It has 1 main tap I told the plumber to do it, one of our rentals same size 1500- 900 2 flick mixes No good you get yours just right then your wife changes her temp then I have to cange mine no good. But if you put in a new shower try stainless steal I have it in our kids bath room it so easy to clean and everyone just says WOW. I put one in a unit 2 months ago when I rented it same response and the best thing its so cheeeep $60 per side 1800 - 900 tileing is more.

hrmmm interesting idea, ive you can take some pics and post them it would be awesome

i nominate sim for tech help if needed :p

just joking sim :p PM me if u need help

My mind somehow can't stop thinking that showering in a shower with stainless steel sides would feel somewhat like showering inside a commercial refrigerator (appearance-wise).

sctpc:

Have you co-ordinated your shower with one of those *snazzy* stainless-steel toilet bowls, much favored in public toilets due to their indestructibility? (only kidding)

Originally posted by XBenX
i nominate sim for tech help if needed :p

huh ? what ? I'm testing dual showers for people with XBenX now and posting photos ? okay... do I have to bring the soap as well ?

Originally posted by Kevmeister
Have you co-ordinated your shower with one of those *snazzy* stainless-steel toilet bowls, much favored in public toilets due to their indestructibility? (only kidding)

They have these really cool toilet blocks in Victoria Square in Adelaide (I'm sure I've seen these elsewhere too) where you go in, follow the instructions (everything is automatic - even lowering the auto-cleaned seat for you if you want to sit down). Washing hands is automated too - you don't actually have to touch anything in the whole place if you don't want.

Then every so often, it locks the door (when there's no one in there) and just douses the whole place with water to clean it all - all automatically.

I'm thinking of getting one for my next house - would save me having to clean the bathroom all the time. :rolleyes:

Yes, they warn you actually that after 10 mins the toilet will flush and the doors will open. Could be embarrasing !

well if someone tells me how i will show photos. and it is grained no plain. so tell me how as this is the reaction i allways get till they see it, it`s like a kitchen we did splash backs in the 80s now it`s ment to be style and they charge for it.

Originally posted by sctpc
well if someone tells me how i will show photos.
Sorry, I'll dob in Sim for posting photos- if you have trouble.

If you want to try, when you're making a post, there is a section underneath the post, ""Attach file". Click the "browse" button next to it, find the picture you want on your computer, and click on "Open" (or whatever your computer says), and then post.

Warning.
1. If you post, then preview you reply (or even edit it) you may lose the attachment.
2. Only one picture can be attached to a post
3. There may be a size limit?

Back