Downer, ACT

Hi somersofters

I've been looking at the inner north of Canberra for a new PPOR and was just wondering what the Canberran's thoughts are on Downer?

Are there any streets to avoid? Are there any streets which stand out?

I guess I'm just trying to gauage what the suburb is like in terms of general livability. We don't have kids (might some day) and would enjoy being close to the cafes, bars and restaurants in nearby Dickson.

Any comments are appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie

It's well located, but stay well away from government housing in the area, and be sure that you don't have to walk through these areas. Big, big trouble.

Thanks for the heads up.

Do you know roughly where these spots are?

We spent some time walking/driving around today and noticed that there were the odd dodgy looking properties but didn't notice a cluster of them.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks for the heads up.

Do you know roughly where these spots are?

We spent some time walking/driving around today and noticed that there were the odd dodgy looking properties but didn't notice a cluster of them.

Cheers

Jamie

They tend to be around shops, or especially around Northbourne Ave. More than a few streets away you'll be fine. Away from the govt housing it's a pretty good neighbourhood.

Jamie, I have friends and family who live there, and they LOVE it. They are at the top end of Atherton Street (I think). Great location close to everything and cheaper than Hackett.

Prices really have gone up though and you will be looking at $600K for something half decent.

26 Fenner Street

We were looking into Downer two weeks ago for our next PPOR purchase as well, we spent some time looking at 26 Fenner Street...we thought it had some really good qualities about it if we turned it into an IP a little down the track (nearly in the RZ2 region, corner block, high land value, big bedrooms, screams cosmetic reno)...out of curiosity, would those be the kinds of things some of you more experienced investors would be looking for at the property?

I have no clue about what the street is like though, realistically probably wont be purchasing another house until end of the year at the earliest...in the mean time, I am contempt just by looking and dreaming at what could be done

http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/act/sale-residential/26-fenner-street-downer-canberra/1316811272511

Hey Phil and Barnstar

It's good to hear from you guys.

Phil - I haven't inspected that Fenner street one but it seems reasonably priced. Are you already looking to move out of your new place?

I told myself I wouldn't purchase until the end of the year either :eek:

Looks like we might go ahead with Downer. I can't really fault it.

Cheers

Jamie

Back