downlights legality and building code

wishing to replace existing downlights with 240v compact fluorescent (CFL) downlights.

does any one have a link to the building code re clearance from structural member (eg timber) and oof, insulation etc

do i have to have the safety hood over it?

got sold a kit without hood and was told CFL don't emit much heat and no code applies since it is cfl. this doesn't sound right to me and i want to get everything ready before electrician comes, hence the post/question

any electrician or knowledgeable person can help out here?

thanks

thanks Railglider, so it's treated like an incandescent then.
so how does the 25mm part fit in, this is what it says on some of the boxes that the lights come in.

Last edited:
more questions

get the low energy ones. they don't heat up or are as hot as the halogen ones.

nowadays everyone is going LED

thanks Melbournian. I had a look on wikipedia and I do like it!

Questions:

So does building code regulations cover LED downlights with regards to minimum clearance to adjacent structure?

There are existing downlights (halogen) at my place which are next to the beam :eek:. I think they were installed before regulations came in.

Options are 1. relocate and patch up ceiling ($$$), or 2. change to LED. any other suggestions? do you think LED will be safe enough to have next to beam?

If just changing to LED, I would like to change the "housing" to another colour, ie the ring. As this does not involve wires, do you think an electrician would need to be involved or would he be happy to do it for me (I am not a handy person).

Thanks.

Or replace existing globes in your halogen downlights from 50W, down to 35W or 20W. Therefore less heat created in roof space.:)

Questions:

So does building code regulations cover LED downlights with regards to minimum clearance to adjacent structure?

There are existing downlights (halogen) at my place which are next to the beam :eek:. I think they were installed before regulations came in.

Options are 1. relocate and patch up ceiling ($$$), or 2. change to LED. any other suggestions? do you think LED will be safe enough to have next to beam?

If just changing to LED, I would like to change the "housing" to another colour, ie the ring. As this does not involve wires, do you think an electrician would need to be involved or would he be happy to do it for me (I am not a handy person).

Thanks.

The building code does not cover what is required. AS/NZ3000 Wiring rules covers a very limited amount of detail in regards to lighting as in Low voltage downlights. It is only recommended (not set in concrete) as a guide 100mm free from structural bearer or frame. There have been ammendments to the bible as we sparkies call it. They are downloadable if you pay the subscription fee. I refuse to do this, pay enough in License fees and the basic Wiring rules book to begin with.

Your second question is really up to you, it would be ideal to move it and patch up the hole. (Easy for me to say)
If a Downlight hat can be fitted to the existing fitting, Id leave it there, and fit a hat.

Third question - If you change to LED Fitting, I would change the whole kit over.
That would mean the transformer as well. Should be just plug and play into a ceiling mounted GPO, or inline cable GPO. So no - you would not require an Electrician to do this. (No new installation wiring required)

HI gizmopb1,

You have a few options with your down lights.
With installation of LED lights there is not much in the wiring rules with regard to distances away from structural timber.I have spoken to inspectors and its a grey area. They have told me to go by the installation specification of the individual light fitting you get.

LED are by far the best option long term and are getting better and better quality all the time. They will cost more to purchase and install but will more then pay for them self's over the long run.

You can also get a LED thats 12v and just plugs into the lamp holder of the transformer. I am getting some this weekend to try out before recommending them.

Railglider,

Do you still work in the electrical game.

If so how do you not get the amendments.

These amendments are changes to the regulations. So we need to follow different rules with installations.

just out of curiosity what wiring rules do you work on as/nzs 3000: ?

Railglider,

Do you still work in the electrical game.

If so how do you not get the amendments.

These amendments are changes to the regulations. So we need to follow different rules with installations.

just out of curiosity what wiring rules do you work on as/nzs 3000: ?

Yes still very much in the Trade, (Lift and Elevator Technician)
The amendments are available from the publishers website of the AS/NZ 3000
I'll find a link for you when I have a free moment.
I use AS/NZ 3000 as well as the Australian Lift code.
The problem with the Bible though, is each state has it's own set of wiring rules as well, so it's not quite so clear cut. I actually found the old SAA Wiring rules to be a little better.

returned most of the light fittings that I purchased based on your recommendations. I kept 3 of the CFL downlights to install in areas that have adequate clearance

now looking into LED but $$$ perhaps will wait a year or 2 to replace the rest of the lights.

thank you everyone.

Back