Dragons' Den Channel 7

Hi there.

I was recommended to watch this show. It is about millionaires, and "pitchers" who pitch their business ideas to them.

Quite interesting apparently.

Has anyone taped the first two episodes ? Monday nights, channel 7, 9:30PM.

If so, please let me know PM me..

Cheers
a/c

AC,

I watched last nights show and it was very good. I found myself saying, yep, love the concept I'll put in $165K for a 50% stake in a Green recycled and personalised coffin company. Now, if they extend the concept to pet coffins then it could really take off. Also, what about Jane Do's and unnaccounted for's who need cheap funerals at the government's expense. There's a heap of potential in this concept, particularly with an ageing population. How about letting customers supply their own pictures or setting their own theme. You'd have Holden Commodore coffins and VB coffins. You'd also need a strong marketing pitch for greenies on the environmental benefits of the product. That alone would grab a lot of market share of the 150,000 odd funerals a year.

How do I get to become a Dragon? :D

Cheers,
Michael.

It certainly is a great show. I wasn't too fussed on the fish and chip shop in China idea though! It's good to see people going with their dreams and what they are passionate about. What still amazes me is that some of them are reluctant to sell a share in their business, despite the tremendous experience they will be getting with the split, and a few experts that will want to see it succeed as well. In the case of the coffin example, I'd rather share a 50% component in the company and have the possibilities of getting 50% of a few million, as opposed to 100% of the 40 odd coffins they have sold so far...

In regards to the first poster, sorry I haven't taped any either.

How do I get to become a Dragon?

MichaelWhyte said:
AC,

How do I get to become a Dragon? :D

Cheers,
Michael.

I would dearly love to be at that end of the table one day too.

How to get there?

That's why I am here. Perhaps though, now that I have some knowledge, it is time to get out there and do it..

Perhaps Elvis could help us here:
"A little less conversation and a lot more action"

Cheers
a/c

Has ANYONE taped it?

Michael,

I saw the finish of the show last week.

There is heaps of info on VC(Venture Capital) or Business Angels etc.
I regularly deal with similar type of people JV partners & capital financiers occasionally for private equity on construction finance.
2nd mortgage on property can be a form of equity or capital contribution.
Most of them who do it for a living are pretty good at it & are constantly looking at deals.
They always know their worst case and are usually prepared to take on the product if the origional owner is removed for whatever reason.

I'll be looking forward to the next show..

Juzz

what a brilliant show - i've caught it the last few weeks (after initally ignoring due to the terrible title).

i thought the coffin idea was sensational - what a wonderful product and i wish i'd come up with it myself as will make millions once patented overseas. i thought it was cheap at $165k for 50% ... this is a product that will take off.

wasn't to keen on the fish/chip shop in china - operating in a completely different culture can be extremely difficult to overcome, even if the product is good. the bag carrier? good idea as i have lived in a second story unit and running up and down on groccery day was not fun, so the product was a good idea - just looked like s**t.

if you haven't seen the show - watch it!! and if you are wondering what we're raving about with the coffins, have a look at www.lifeart.com.au

Having not owned a business at any stage of my life and having only been in the workforce for 6 years, I was also blinded to the potential benefits for selling large portions of your own business. Being young and naive, I too was cringing when some of the figures on last weeks show were put out there. Also being passionate, stubborn and nostalgic, I think I would struggle to give away what I had built up. After speaking with a few people, I now see clearly that the injection provides that much potential for the products and 50% of millions is better than 100% of not much!!

I still think the "take anywhere" tent on last week's show out did the coffins in terms of "raw genius". Coffin idea is great but a new spin on what has existed for years. I think he ended up giving 60% away for that one??? (not sure of exact figure).

Dos

Dos said:
I still think the "take anywhere" tent on last week's show out did the coffins in terms of "raw genius". Coffin idea is great but a new spin on what has existed for years. I think he ended up giving 60% away for that one??? (not sure of exact figure).

Dos

He gave away 50%.

Couldn't believe Sarina Russo walked out on that one, totally altered my idea of her business prowess. Also, I thought it was interesting how the 'holistic' dude wouldn't invest in coffins due to not wanting to make money out of death... but when the other 'dragon' explained just how good a deal this could really be, he jumped right back in.

Aparrently he only didn't want to make money out of death when there wasn't much to make. :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

Still, I thought the coffins were the best idea yet. I looked at their website and thought the best one was the plain white one, that way everyone at the funeral could write "SEEYA" on the coffin! hehe

The bag carrier was interesting, but I could see someone letting go of the handle going up the stairs and the whole thing coming asunder.

Also, the fish and chip dude made a HUGE mistake not having his wife there with him. The 'dragons' were all going on about him taking on a market he didn't know (China) but his wife is Chinese. He didn't even mention that to them. Sad mistake.

Still an interesting show.

I find the most interesting thing is how they all go in asking for $xx for 10% of the company... and leave taking the same $$ for 50%...

Nonetheless, I can see how the dragons' input and contacts will make a huge difference to a budding company.

asy :D

The "Somersoft Dragons" maybe........ That would be quite interesting, a panel of our high flyers and wealthy people considering ideas and inventions from the general public??? Any takers...?

Unfortunately I don't drive a porsche, own a polo club or photograph celebs so looks like "I'm out".....

Dos

I had no idea what the show was all about, as the title sucks.....they could have worked that a lot better.

Nevertheless, when I serendipitously flicked onto it last week (when I got the remote back), I was hooked. Outstanding concept. And very timely that the focus has shifted from property which is flat, to business, where money is always to be made.

I have never worked with Siimon Reynolds directly (he put an extra 'i' into his name because he was into numerology years ago. Someone else in the office changed her name alotgether, and we all had to start calling her by it....big call) , but know many who did from my advertising days, and I respect his marketing judgement immensely. And find myself agreeing with his judgements on DD. (THough he has done a few campaigns I thought were right off the mark, like the Grim Reaper thing for aids.)

As a Brisbane boy, I wouldn't p*** on Sarina Russo if she was on fire. She's made a lot of enemies, and used a lot of low tactics in her life. That she walked out on the coffin presentation reveals how disturbed and inappropriate and rude she is.

I have also respected and agreed with Peter Higgins's judgements, and I'd have him as a business partner any day.

Darryn Lyons isn't adding a lot of informed comment IMHO, but rather prefers talking about himself.

Would agree the fish and chip idea was too poorly developed to be presented. The guy should have had a test shop open and profitable before asking for money. I understand he was fairly successful before, and can't understand why he can't self fund. His presentation really sucked, adn he should have had some young blood with him in the presentation, even if to counter his nervousness. Totally inappropriate that he be that unprepared.

I loved the coffin idea too. and can't understand why they didn't play up the cardboard coffin side more. Budget funerals was something I lookked into about 6 months ago. The industry is slowly getting more barriers put up to new operators. So anyone who gets a licence will have little to worry about from new competitors in the future. Though these guys should have haggled harder....esp when the 4 wanted in. at least knocked it up from 165 to 240.

The solicitor's grocery wheelie thing was a joke...though has potential to be developed as an attachment to a bicycle, foot scooter, electric scooter, etc.

The bikini girls shot themselves in the foot.....

Nevertheless, it is great to see a show like this. The best form of reality tv....and has lots of potential to evolve into something much more powerful....just change the name for God's sake.

I have made similar presentations to the Triton Foundation and the Qld Department of State Development and Innovation Mentee program, which is an excellent service, though harrowing. Basically, you take your idea along and present it to 12 business ppl in a formal meeting. Though I reckon half of them are there to sell you their services.

The reason for the name Dragon's Den is because it was originally produced in the UK and also broadcast in the US under the same title. Perhaps the name is more meaningful in the UK?

Until this thread started I had never heard of the show. It certainly sounds interesting. I will keep my eyes open for the next episode.

Also love the show.

I notice that the Dragons do like to have at least 50% for control.

I also enjoy ABC'S New Inventors. We will probably see inventors walk out the ABC door into the Dragons Den door.

The Scientist with the wrist band/watch that blew up into floating bags to prevent drowning had big ideas. I think she might be too optimistic.

GarryK

i agree the wristband/airbag was a good idea - if you're concious and able to activate it. if that is the case then most people can tread water, it's those that go overboard unconcious that really need the lifejacket. she came across as a bit arrogant and above herself, which wouldn't have gone down well with the dragons either.

great show and i'm sure all on the forum would be quickly addicted.

Last edited:
beech said:
hi Guys,how many episodes have been run?

Watched it last week and loved it.Meant to tape the latest but forgot.
Hi beech.

Fairly sure only 2 episodes have been screened.

Regards
Marty.

P.S The first show, which aired last week was reshown (in Sydney) on Monday afternoon this week. Don't know if that is going to be a trend or not though.

I think the "Dragon's Den" title is a Chinese term. The UK version seems to have produced a few mutually profitable partnerships according to the UK website.

On the Aussie DD website there was alot of chastising of the Dragons for their treatment of the Tent Guy in episode 1 with comments that the real winners on the show are the contestants that get turned down by the Dragons. I think the second episode shows that you can come out on top if you have a good business idea, are well prepared and look at not only the $$'s that you may get but also the specific expertise from being in partnership with a dragon or 4.

The Chinese Fish'n'Chip Shop - Great concept and worth a mint if he pulls it off, just needed to present it better. If I were a multi-millionaire and had a spare $100k or so, I'd throw it in but monitor the project closely. Also need to weigh it up with your existing investment strategy and if you want to get your foot into the huge market that is China, having someone on board who is a regular business visitor and familiar with the culture could prove extremely valuable.

P.S. Interesting to see via a link on the UK site that there is a pommy version of The Apprentice. Now, who would you get to do the firing on an Aussie version???

:cool:

Steve KKK said:
P.S. Interesting to see via a link on the UK site that there is a pommy version of The Apprentice. Now, who would you get to do the firing on an Aussie version???

:cool:
Harry Triguboff - self made building billionaire, market, manipulator of governments (like all developers need to be to some extent) and, by repute, able to verbally skin people alive.

Dragons - thumbs down

I watched the program accidently a couple of weeks ago, when the tent man was on.
I work in the VC area for a private company that could buy and sell all the dragons ten times over.....
I find they bully the 'inventors' into an unrealistic deals. The tent boy was a classic example. He gave away 50% of his company for a small amount of money to fund materials etc, he didn't retire existing debt (personal loan). I find it amazing that inexperienced people are prepared to do these deals without a business advisor.
After that episode I decided that I couldn't watch this, it would make me cross. :mad:
Doons

Back