Drilling Porcelain Vanity

Over the weekend I have remodelled a Bathroom and one of the last things to do is a new vanity.

One like this here on ebay for $298 is what we want
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/19048218...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2316wt_913
but the only catch is that it is set up for a flickmixer .
We need 3 holes as we already have a matching set of taps and spouts for bath, shower and vanity.

We can get a 3 Hole sink, but the cabinet has the draws on the wrong side.

All suppliers so far say they can do what we want, for DOUBLE to 3x the cost of the original :rolleyes:

My question is how hard is it to get a diamond holesaw like these (3 for $10) and drill the holes ourselves?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350528644096#ht_874wt_908

Thanks, is this something that you have actually done?
Should I be adding water to the drilling or do it dry?

Your biggest problem will be stopping the drill bit from wandering when you start drilling. You could try putting tape down then marking the the centre of the hole. I would also drill a pilot hole 1st with a brand new 3-4mm masonry drill then the diamond hole saw nice and slow, no water needed. If you have a variable speed drill so much the better.
I would point out I have never drilled a vanity before, only tiles...

PS Don't use the hammer function...
Also, go and buy a decent quality diamond holesaw, should be around $30-40

The holesaw I linked to, like these ones http://365drills.com/ have no pilot hole.
They do need but use minimal water (sponge)
They also cost a lot less than $30-$40

Video makes it look easy so I think I will get those holesaws and do it.

Thanks, is this something that you have actually done?
Should I be adding water to the drilling or do it dry?

make a template out of timber with the holes already drilled through the timber line up the centre hole with the existing hole in the basin clamp to stop movement ,add water into one of the holes and start cutting on slow speed with a core bit of the size required ,use lots of water and little pressure and let the core bit do the work .

make a template out of timber with the holes already drilled through the timber line up the centre hole with the existing hole in the basin clamp to stop movement ,add water into one of the holes and start cutting on slow speed with a core bit of the size required ,use lots of water and little pressure and let the core bit do the work .

Thanks arms, sounds to easy and as described in the videos

Macca
Would it be worth taking the thing to a vanity/kitchen person and get them to drill the holes ?
No.

That sounds like great advice...

Is there any danger from chipping that type of surface on the sink? If it's really porcelain, I would definitely take it slow at the very beginning so you don't get any chips around the hole. A pilot hole would be really helpful but a wood template would help too.

Is there any danger from chipping that type of surface on the sink? If it's really porcelain, I would definitely take it slow at the very beginning so you don't get any chips around the hole. A pilot hole would be really helpful but a wood template would help too.

diamond core bits dont have pilot drills .so a template is the safest and easiest way to go about this

Back