Drouin, Vic. Townhouse

G'Day all,

Spurred on by the thread of would you do business with like minded people, I decided to post details of a NEW Townhouse that I have For Sale in Drouin.

As this is my first post on Caveat Emptor, I apologise in advance if any of the required information is not included.

So here's the Deal:

Brand New single storey 2 bedroom townhouse/unit, 1 of 2 on corner allottment with a double carport.

Unit is just a bit over 9 squares and will include vinyl wrap kitchen, all floor coverings, (carpets and ceramics), ducted heating to 6 points. vertical louvres to all windows, driveways, paving, fences, clothes line and landscaping.
Practically turn key at settlement, move your tenant straight in.

All windows are double glazed aluminium awning except laundry, toilet and bathroom, which are sliding normal glazed aluminium.
The unit comes with a four star energy rating and is being constructed by a local award winning builder (MBA Award 1999, 2000). completion date approx August 2003.

I said there was 2 on the block, the other has just been sold for $155,000 but it is about 4 sq. metres larger.
(purchased by a single early 40s woman who is the chaplan at a nearby catholic school and will owner occupy).

Price is $149,500 and could easily be rented out for $145 - $150 per week although 1 agent reckons $160 - $165.

Where do I fit in, I am the owner/developer.
How much is in it for me? enough
Why aren't I keeping it? Not Slummy enough for me and I need the money to develop some other properties.

Also considerable stamp duty savings at this time as work has just commenced.

An interior designer has been retained to co ordinate colours/fittings but at this early stage all internals can be changed.
I will include the cost of consutation with the designer to assist in the interior colour selection if desired by the purchaser
The external colours that are not negotiable now are,
bricks: Selkirk Breamore Blend Tumbled
Roofing: Colorbond - Mountain Blue
Fascia & Aluminium Window Frames: Colour -Primrose
Guttering and Capping: Colour - Tuscan Red

OK folks, go to town, ask away

regards

Drouin, how many people live there, from memory its a few more than in KooWeeRup? (the dark hole where I had the misfortune to grow up). What is the average price for a standard 3bd BV house on a standard block?

What about capital gains/growth in the area? Any major businesses opening up or closing down?

What approximately would be the stamp duty?

Originally posted by always_learning
Drouin, how many people live there, from memory its a few more than in KooWeeRup? (the dark hole where I had the misfortune to grow up).

Actually a lot more than Koo Wee Rup, population now exceeds 6,000

What is the average price for a standard 3bd BV house on a standard block?

3BR BV around 15-20 years old 14 squares $185,000 - $200,000 +

What about capital gains/growth in the area?

last 18 months around 40% conservatively

Any major businesses opening up or closing down?

Last Major business was Bendigo Bank, 12 months ago.
Also over 1,000 blocks either approved or going through planning at the moment. starting price on newly subdivided blocks say 650m2 in size, aint much under $55,000. Average around $65,000+

What approximately would be the stamp duty?

on the other unit sold last week, have put down value to date on contract as $30,000 therefore stamp duty at present time around $500 but check tables as this is from memory
stamp duty applies to value as at contract date, the earlier you buy the more you save

regards

Hi Jakk

Is that your plan of the unit in Forrest rd ... I did a search for house prices in Drouin and found the above one.

You mentioned that all windows are double glazzed is that because it is on a main rd or to comply with the energy ratings etc.

Drouin to my knowledge is a small inland country town.

Are there any employment opportunities, what is the main industry in the area, are there any big developments about to happen? Are there major shopping centres schools transport etc...I suppose what I am asking is a brief spiel about Drouin.

Thanks Mrs Bird

Good first-up post Jakk. The numbers look good, too. So should get plenty of serious interest.

Now for a slight criticism that applies to many deals posted on CE. Mrs Bird is on the right track here. Capital growth potential rates very highly in most investors mind when considering a deal. In my opinion, you don't really understand the deal unless you understand the drivers of capital growth and rental demand. If you can enlighten us in those two key areas, Jakk, I'd say that you will overcome most resistence to this deal.

What drives capital growth in the town and locale of the property?

What drives rental demand for that type of property?

Regards, Mike

I agree with Mike. I'd like to know what drives capital growth in that area Jakk.
I went to school in Warragul 20-odd years ago and recently took my kids there to have a look around. Warragul has not changed much in those 20 years but I did notice that Drouin had developed quite a bit.

Well I’ll add my point of view on the area.

I’ve researched West Gippsland fairly extensively over the last couple of years and prices have been going through the roof there.

Warragul had a growth rate of 27.63% and Drouin 13.23% last year.

Yes Drouin is a rural town….but it is on the main Melbourne rail line, is close to Warragul, which is the major town in the Baw Baw Shire. It’s easy travelling distance to the SE growth corridor and the large industrial areas of Dandenong. It’s a very pleasant town, with good services and an amazing amount of new houses being built.

Info on Drouin can be found on the Baw Baw Shire website:
http://www.bbsc.vic.gov.au/i931.htm

or a list of services and facilities can be found at:
http://www.bbsc.vic.gov.au/drouin.htm

and my favourite property search for regional VIC is:
http://www.propertyguide.com.au/res.asp

I’m surprised you didn’t see much change in Warragul in 20 years, Dose. I’ve noticed changes in the time I’ve been researching there, but maybe we aren’t looking at it through the same eyes.

Both Warragul and Drouin are on my list of top Gippsland towns, mainly because of their closer proximity to Melbourne. You could certainly do worse!

Ruby :)

Drouin has had consistently higher long-term population growth (1981-1996) than Warragul. I don't know about recent years.

However a concern is when they build the regional fast rail.

Given Drouin's proximity to Warragul, will the fast trains bypass Drouin in favour of Warragul due to the latter being a larger town?

Peter

Oh and another thing, Drouin is less than 100km from the city.

Warragul isn't.

Do people think that 100km is a psychological barrier in how people perceive distance from the city?

If so, a 96km town might be better buying than a 104km town.

Hi Jakk,

There is a downloadable map on the Baw Baw Shire website that Ruby mentioned. What is the address of your unit and nearest crossroad? Which street(s) contain the main retail area. How far to the main shopping precinct? Can you post any pictures?

Regards, Mike

PS The strange thing about the downloadable map is that Princes Way doesn't appear in the street index although that is where most of the retail appears to be. There is a Princes Avenue mentioned. Any clues, Jakk? Also the exact location of the train station doesn't appear on the map either.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Mrs Bird
Hi Jakk

Is that your plan of the unit in Forrest rd ... I did a search for house prices in Drouin and found the above one.

correct listings are:
www.realestate.com.au no: 1548065
www.domain.com.au no: 2003896896
www.property.com.au no: 4212874

You mentioned that all windows are double glazzed is that because it is on a main rd or to comply with the energy ratings etc.

To comply with energy ratings, definately not on a main road

Drouin to my knowledge is a small inland country town.

Not so small anymore

Are there any employment opportunities, what is the main industry in the area, are there any big developments about to happen? Are there major shopping centres schools transport etc...I suppose what I am asking is a brief spiel about Drouin.

The big developmemts that are about to happen are the amount of subdivisions that are proposed or currently approved. In recent discussions with Town Planning, I was told there are over 1,300 blocks to be either approved or in planning awaiting approval in various subdivisions.

No major shopping centre in Drouin, commercial is predominately a convenience strip situated on Princes Way of about 80 businesses although there is a newish 7 day licensed supermarket in Hope Street that compares in size to a smaller safeway or Coles. By the way, Warragul is only 7 kms up the road and it has Coles, Safeway, The Warehouse, McDonalds, KFC, Subway, Harvey Norman and a million other shops to spend money at (maybe not quite a million), maybe I should get my wife to answer the shopping questions (she doesn't seem to have too much trouble spending the hard earned). There are 5 real estate offices in Drouin and about 10 in Warragul. Police stations in both towns and there is always a speed camera lurking around somewhere (got 2 points left)
plenty of schools and churches, there is electric train service and I do see buses and taxis on the road.

Thanks Mrs Bird

regards

Originally posted by Mike
Hi Jakk,

There is a downloadable map on the Baw Baw Shire website that Ruby mentioned. What is the address of your unit and nearest crossroad? Which street(s) contain the main retail area. How far to the main shopping precinct? Can you post any pictures?

The development is on the corner of Ferris Street and Forrest Street.
Princes Way, (the old highway contain the main commercial area, from Sinclair Avenue through to Bank Place (approx)

can I post any pictures? Mike, the extent of my technological abilities regarding computers on a scale of 1 to 10 is about minus 22

PS The strange thing about the downloadable map is that Princes Way doesn't appear in the street index although that is where most of the retail appears to be. There is a Princes Avenue mentioned. Any clues, Jakk? Also the exact location of the train station doesn't appear on the map either.

Princes Avenue is residential and train station is located south of Princes Way and west of and adjoining South Road

regards

Originally posted by Ruby
Well I’ll add my point of view on the area.

I’ve researched West Gippsland fairly extensively over the last couple of years and prices have been going through the roof there.

Ruby :)

Ruby, I have decided to also appoint you as my agent, you seem to know more about this place than I do.

In future, could everyone please direct all enquiries to Ruby (just joking)

regards

Originally posted by Peter Parker
Drouin has had consistently higher long-term population growth (1981-1996) than Warragul. I don't know about recent years.

However a concern is when they build the regional fast rail.

Given Drouin's proximity to Warragul, will the fast trains bypass Drouin in favour of Warragul due to the latter being a larger town?

Peter
Peter, Thanks for that info, in actual fact the population of Drouin has exploded in the last 2 years.
I suspect the reasons are that Drouin is on the outer fringe of the fast developing South Eastern growth Corridor and the area offers to the resident a great lifestyle.
Small country feel but with all amenities and only a hop step and jump to major centres like Fountain Gate.
The land in Drouin is beautifully undulating and I believe still affordable.
Although I am unaware of any major industry up here, (been a while since I looked for a job), a lot of people commute as Dandenong is only about half an hour away.
Quite a few up here work in the city and travel by train but I reckon I'd last about 3 days if I had to do this.

Also I do believe that Warragul has been tipped to be one of the stations that the fast rail will stop at, we dont regard this as a negative as Warragul is only a few minutes drive up the road and I do mean only a few, ( 4-5 )

regards

Jakk ,

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!

What are you doing telling everyone about our great little money tree down here in Gippsland !!!!!!!!!!!

Let all those other characters fight each other for the Qld. coasts and leave us to make money where the grass is green, the cows are fat and and the populations are booming.

Freddy :mad:

Originally posted by Freddy
Jakk ,

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!

What are you doing telling everyone about our great little money tree down here in Gippsland !!!!!!!!!!!

Let all those other characters fight each other for the Qld. coasts and leave us to make money where the grass is green, the cows are fat and and the populations are booming.

Freddy :mad:

Freddy, tsk, tsk, tsk

Didn't your mother ever say to you
"You gotta do sharing Freddy"

regards

Didn't your mother ever say to you
"You gotta do sharing Freddy"

You mean "sharing" like Telstra and AMP where you loose half the money you make in Property?

:D
Regards

Freddy

Not always Freddy

I made 46% off AMP in a bit over a month :)

Jakk, When you said Bendigo Bank was the last big business, i assume u meant opening not closing?

According to the Baw Baw Shire Council website, Drouin has ANZ and Westpac while Warragul has Bank Of Melbourne, Commonwealth Bank Australia, National Australia Bank Ltd, Westpac Bank. No mention of Bendigo Bank.

Mike

Originally posted by Folken

Jakk, When you said Bendigo Bank was the last big business, i assume u meant opening not closing?

Correct Folken , opened April 12 last year

Originally posted by Mike

According to the Baw Baw Shire Council website, Drouin has ANZ and Westpac while Warragul has Bank Of Melbourne, Commonwealth Bank Australia, National Australia Bank Ltd, Westpac Bank. No mention of Bendigo Bank.

Mike
Warragul also has a Bendigo Bank and ANZ

Also 2 weeks ago a new United 24 hour FoodStore (Petrol/Convenience Store) opened in Drouin.

regards

Back