Drummy floor tiles, fix or not?

Hi guys....I'm in the process of preparing my property for sale.

My lounge and kitchen is tiled in 450x450 tiles. A few of them are sounding a bit drummy. Should I bother getting them fixed? They might show up on a building inspection report and I'm wondering what buyers would think.

What does drummy mean?

Drummy
Drummy or hollow sounding tiles can easily be detected by tapping over the tile surface. Where the sound is hollow, this is due to the adhesive not having a good bond between the tiles and the substrate or there being "voids" of missing adhesive under the tiles.

Do you have any spare tiles?????

When I bought my latest IP which has ~200m2 of 400x400 throughout the main living areas, kitchen, halls and family room the inspection report noted:

4.7 Floors General
Condition: The condition of the floors is generally good. Floors are concealed by floor coverings.Some localised sections of drummy floor tiles were noted to the living area. Drummy tiles may require relaying if they become loose over time.

On speaking to the inspector he said that there is no real problem and its not unusual however if the owner has spares then it makes replacement easier should a tile break due to movement. Nothing worse than not being able to match tiles after 10 years or so.

To me it was not a real big issue however it was only 4 to 6 tiles over such a large area in my case. If it were many tiles then my answer may have been different.

No, I wouldn't get them fixed. If a buyer gets to the building inspection stage of the contract, they would be unlikely to pull out for the reason of drummy tiles.
I also don't believe it would stop most buyers signing up if they want the place. If they sign a contract and the drummy tiles come up as a concern through the building inspection then you should be able to negotiate to get them sorted out then.

Thanks guys for your responses...I do have quite a few spare tiles, so I can point them in that direction if anything is said. From what you're saying it's not much of an issue so I won't go to the hassle of getting them prised up and restuck,

Back